Greetings from Sunny Tucson AZ

xveganjoshx

Hello my fellow vegans,

My name's Josh. I'm a vegan health and fitness enthusiast. I've been following the boards for quite some time now, but finally just decided to step up and well, quit lurking . I think someone on another thread mentioned that making the vegan relationships section private would cause some people to create a profile. Well, I'm one of them! I mean, come on, vegan dating and flirting. I can't miss out on that!

Let's see. I've been vegetarian for about 3.5 years, vegan for about 1/2 year. Actually, this site is the one that inspired me to go vegan. I was a really scrawny vegetarian for a long time. I was apprehensive about going vegan due to the myth that I would stay small. When I saw all these huge vegan guys I knew it was possible and that I could do it too. So I quit using dairy and started lifting weights. Needless to say I went from being 5'9 110 pounds to almost 160 in about 6 months, by eating lots of high protein vegan foods and being smart in the gym! It feels great, my self confidence has increased, and I can help to dispel myths about vegans. I really love bodybuilding, I'm totally hooked. I hope to compete one day in the future.

As you might be able to see from the user name, I'm straight edge. It's cool to be able to be strong enough to fight your addictions. I've had some rough spots over the last few years, but straight edge gave me something to commit to, and I've been legit ever since. Rock on!

I'm a student at the University of Arizona in Tucson AZ, where I study physics. It's pretty cool, but tough. I'm president of the animal rights club at the UofA. We mostly due vegan outreach, leafleting and stuff like that. It's pretty rewarding. We've "converted" a bunch of people so far, haha.

I hope to chat with lots of you!

-Josh

Welcome Josh!

I am so pleased to see you on here and I feel really good when I read your intro. I'm so glad this site helped you become vegan and pack on all that muscle!

Thanks so much for the introduction and for sharing that with us. On a personal level, I'm honored and I'm really proud of what we've been able to accomplish over the years, including inspiring people like yourself.

You can contact me anytime if you need literature or supplies for your group at UofA. As a kid I always wanted to go there. I grew up in Corvallis (OSU) so I was in Pac 10 country and loved UofA. I lived out in tempe (ASU) for a year and Arizona was fun!

Thanks again for the great intro and we look forward to hearing more from you!

Hello & Welcome Josh!

Tucson is my favorite larger city in the SW. I have great memories of hanging out on 4th, going to Food Conspiracy, all the saguaro's, the montana's, etc... Plus it's close to Mexico!

Thanks loveliberate! Tucson is pretty neat. I've lived on Long Island, NY for 18 years, then suddenly decided that I wanted to live in the desert! Tucson is a nice city. 4th ave is awesome, with all it's hippies, punks, and veggie options. The saguaro cactus is amazing. Did you know it can take up to 75 years for a cactus to start growing an arm? So when you see cacti with several arms, that means they've been around for a hundred years or even more. That's pretty awesome if you ask me!

Whoa dude! That is some impressive results!

I'm one of them fitness gals that used to live on meat and dairy but eating vegan (mostly raw) has given me nothing but advantages. Would be kool if you started blogging or something. I'd like to follow yer progress...

/Liz(tard)

Thanks for the warm welcome !

@ LizWorld: I'll probably start a training log or blog here. For me they are essentially the same thing since training and eating (bodybuilding) takes up most of my time! But I'm supposedly in school too . I'd like to post some pics too if I can get my roommate to take some. For some reason it's a little difficult to get a guy to take pictures of his roommate oiled up in a banana hammock . I'll figure it out though.

• 2 months later...
I was apprehensive about going vegan due to the myth that I would stay small. When I saw all these huge vegan guys I knew it was possible and that I could do it too. So I quit using dairy and started lifting weights. Needless to say I went from being 5'9 110 pounds to almost 160 in about 6 months, by eating lots of high protein vegan foods and being smart in the gym! It feels great, my self confidence has increased, and I can help to dispel myths about vegans.

That is awesome to hear! My husband keeps telling me how small and depleted I'm going to look if I keep this vegan thing up, so it's really uplifting for me to hear that! He's a big meat eater...if you haven't gotten that part

I did make vegan chick'n alfredo yesterday, and he loved it, so there may be hope!!!

I used to be a huge alfredo fan before I went vegan. Would you mind sharing the recipe?

12 oz fettuccini

1 T. minced garlic

1 T. vegan margarine (or olive oil)

16 oz silken tofu

1/2 cup soymilk

1 t. garlic powder (or leave this out if you don't like garlic as much as I do)

salt & pepper to taste

prepare fettuccini according to package directions

in a pan, saute the garlic in margarine (or olive oil) until lightly brown

In the food processor combine:

tofu

soymilk

sauteed garlic with margarine (or oil)

garlic powder, salt, & pepper

process until smooth

stir in with fetuccini and enjoy!

I used vegan chicken and threw the strips in after I had prepared everything.

I also added a few roasted red peppers in the food processor with the ingredients because I love that taste.

If you like some spice, add a dash on cayenne pepper too. That's really good!!!

Let me know if you like it!

• 3 weeks later...
I was apprehensive about going vegan due to the myth that I would stay small. When I saw all these huge vegan guys I knew it was possible and that I could do it too. So I quit using dairy and started lifting weights. Needless to say I went from being 5'9 110 pounds to almost 160 in about 6 months, by eating lots of high protein vegan foods and being smart in the gym! It feels great, my self confidence has increased, and I can help to dispel myths about vegans.

That is awesome to hear! My husband keeps telling me how small and depleted I'm going to look if I keep this vegan thing up, so it's really uplifting for me to hear that! He's a big meat eater...if you haven't gotten that part

I did make vegan chick'n alfredo yesterday, and he loved it, so there may be hope!!!

haha. i hear it from EVERYONE. my friend's parents. my parents. everyone in my family basically. my brother is very supportive though. he wasn't at first but now that he has been lifting weights much more the past year or so he understands that its possible to get just as big by being vegan. he is a firefighter and a tank, but he helps me when i need it with my diet and weight lifting. pretty rad.

Welcome Josh... persistence in the effort or in the balanced world (= vegan).

After the VegFest in Portland, I am so glad to become a vegan and to have a chance to escape our west countries diseases... and become stronger at the sport competitions because of lost of most all of the toxins. The talk from Dr Colin Campbell and Dr Esselstyn were for me very supporting my hypothesis as biologist working on vascular diseases.

Jerome