Comments on Vegan Bodybuilding Clothing

sydneyvegan

I normally get lots of nice comments about T-shirts etc, until the other day.

I was at the gym the other day wearing one of the Black Vegan fitness Singlets when one of the gym staff turned to one of the Meat Heads and said "I bet you're glad you're wearing a black singlet, like him now" making it very clear, he was having a dig at me being vegan.

I didn't say anything I just calmly walked over and started benching, doing a couple of sets at 110kg (which around 30kg higher than anything I had seen them Max), I stared them down and made it pretty clear the Vegan in the Black Singlet had just kicked their A*se.....

All in all, it was very satisfying.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done! I wear a Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness or some other VEGAN shirt nearly everyday. I just have a whole closet full and as everyone knows, I like promoting this lifestyle.

Most of the comments I get are positive, in fact often people ask where they can get one Which is great for me because that is another $19.95 and one less shirt in the closet!

In general, I get a lot more positive comments than negative ones, but I think it's one of those things where you're always at risk of being called names or being picked on because you have "VEGAN" on you somewhere.

The fun part is when you do something like Sydney did. You don't have to say anything, you lead by example. When I won a bodybuilding competition in 2005, I put on my Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness shirt backstage and I know the guys were say, "Oh man, I got beat by a VEGAN!" and often times I get props and much respect from other bodybuilders when they see what I've built as a vegan.

I say, keep wearing the shirts! They help build our community, inform others of our lifestyle, and let people know that we're out here and we have info to share.

Lately I've been trying to get more bodybuilders into veganism than vegans into bodybuilding. It is working fairly well and a lot of people who used to eat a lot of meat, are cutting way back on it.

Thanks for sharing Sydney (Chris).

I used to get looks when I wore vegan clothes in the gym(pre VB for me and pre cycling) and if people were overtly negative I'd change my workout and do multiple sets of squats with 500-550lbs or leg press 1000lbs for sets of 10+

I do have big quads and big biceps don't I Too bad now people look at me in the gym thinking I'm gonna be strong but instead I just do tons of really long boring sets

Thanks for the encouragement etc from everyone.

I'm definitely one who likes to promote veganism by example. It's even better when you can silence Meatheads in the process. It was such a satisfying day, and since then I've noticed they pay a lot more attention to what I lift and how I lift. I doubt many of them will become Vegan, but at least it has blown away the myths that they obviously had. I would love to get the Big Boys like Veganessentials and Jonathan in Sydney for a visit and blow their cholesterol filled minds

Anyway, I'd love to here more stories...

Edited by sydneyvegan

Only stories I have is doing 30+ pounds more weight with flies than my meat eating friend who thought he was much stronger than me. In fact, I outdid him and my other friend in everything except biceps, triceps, and pretty equal on bench.

I hear it lots of times. I've come to realize that there is a difference between mass & strength. While many meatheads may be larger than me (Or just appear larger and have more fat), I'm stronger than a lot of people at my gym in a lot of areas (except bench work, that's my low point).

I hear it lots of times. I've come to realize that there is a difference between mass & strength. While many meatheads may be larger than me (Or just appear larger and have more fat), I'm stronger than a lot of people at my gym in a lot of areas (except bench work, that's my low point).

Same here.

Fantastic job Sydneyvegan! I have to deal with that kind of stuff almost every time I go to the gym, but these days I notice the meatheads just usually stop what they are doing and watch me to my lifts. I know I can't compete with the perfection of Potter, nor would I wish to, but I think for a 55 year old I look pretty good, just lean and muscular........not just big and puffy like my contemporaries out here.

I wish I had a real cool black tank top that said VEGAN on it, I would wear it everyday to the gym! (hint, hint, Robert)

same here!

I LOVE it when I am doing bicep curls, or working on my arms or back,

and I am standing next to a big guy that's lifting less weight than me..

haha..I feel so strong when that happends.

Also..I am saving my vegan gear for when I can leg press 500+ lbs.

I am soo close!

I also notice at the gym, especially in the cardio areas, I am usually

the only toned girl there that doesn't have a "Dairy body", which

I'm sure you all know what I am talking about...

My friend Donald was surprised at how rock hard my triceps are..hah, no dairy arms for this girl!

same here!

I LOVE it when I am doing bicep curls, or working on my arms or back,

and I am standing next to a big guy that's lifting less weight than me..

haha..I feel so strong when that happends.

Also..I am saving my vegan gear for when I can leg press 500+ lbs.

I am soo close!

I also notice at the gym, especially in the cardio areas, I am usually

the only toned girl there that doesn't have a "Dairy body", which

I'm sure you all know what I am talking about...

My friend Donald was amazing when I let him feel how rock hard my

triceps are..hah, no dairy arms for this girl!

I'm impressed.

I'm impressed.

thanks

I'm impressed, that you're impressed.

It is pure raw food energy & strength.

I find it pretty amazing what (moderately)light weights some of

these big guys at the gym can do..

Speaking of clothing though...

I need to get some from www.runningdivas.com

I think I should get the one that says "freakishly strong" on the front..

Because I totally don't look my strength.

Edited by andesuma

what is a dairy body?

It's just a term I made up to describe the vast amount of women

who consume dairy products & think it is healthy/going to make

them lose weight.

But more specifically... my definition of a dairy body is:

Slight excess of body fat, like a small layer of blubber covering

the muscles; notice it especially clings to the arms and thigh/butt

area.., (like women that have untoned arms, and "cottage cheese" thighs)

All of this is from a poor diet, & more predominantly caused by dairy consumption.

The sad thing is... these women workout A LOT, and get no where

because of their diets. I just call any body part I see like that.. "dairy arms", "dairy legs", etc.

My friend Donald fully understands this, because his wifes 'dairy body'

melted away after she went vegan

I'm impressed.

thanks

I'm impressed, that you're impressed.

It is pure raw food energy & strength.

I find it pretty amazing what (moderately)light weights some of

these big guys at the gym can do..

Speaking of clothing though...

I need to get some from www.runningdivas.com

I think I should get the one that says "freakishly strong" on the front..

Because I totally don't look my strength.

I noticed that as soon as I went vegan. Muscles just work better. When I went raw though...whole 'nother story. I have a feeling i'll get sucked back into it soon. I change up my diet all the time though. Raw felt good, I just didn't really have a ton of time to keep eating.

You should get that shirt and outlift men with big ego's, I'd pay to see that. You seem pretty small, I wouldn't know, but 500 lb leg press is nothing but impressive.

Edited by Zack

I received some fantastic vegan tops in the mail yesterday from a certain sweet person

I am about to hit the gym wearing one which says " I heart (red heart) vegan bodybuilders" across the front. Im hoping it draws attention for all the right reasons and not because it is very tight across my chest lol ...

pics to follow !