Health nuts who bring lunches to work...I need some tips!

GinsuFrenzy

I am anti-microwave and anti-white flour, so I'm basically trying to plan healthy cold meals to throw in the breakroom fridge and eat as is. Not neccessarily raw foods, but whatever is practical. The problem with all these raw food sites is they list tons of on-the-go lunches of either total junk (peanut butter, pretzels, blah blah) or all vegetables, which wouldn't be protein sufficient for a 185 6'2'' man. I'm sorry but vegan or not, it's not healthy for my body and a sprout salad with a bunch of raisins is going to keep me hungry all day.

Bottom line, I'm curious to share and gather info from fellow vegans/vegetarians who dislike microwaves and bring cold lunches to work. Heh.

I like to have a beer brat or about a lb of tofu. I pack it with greens like sugar snap peas, steamed brocoli, peas, spinach, and carrots. I also may have soy pasta with the above. To make it a little more interesting make your own vinegarette, use salsa, whatever kind of sauce/flavorings you like.

quinoa is good cold. toss it with some veggies or even better, lentils. that'd be super protein!

no white flour? that's good, but do you still eat things made of 'whole' flour? try noodle dishes with whole wheat, brown rice or bucjwheat noodles. about half of all japanese noodle dishes are actually made cold. use a miso and some edamame with the noodles (assuming you eat soy).

i agree about hummus. that's easy to pack with whole wheat pita or veggies.

the veggie brats are always good cold. protein shakes that will last in the fridge. beans and veggie fajitas are still tasty cold. many dishes with leefy greens like kale are good cold. just todd them with nuts and it would be filling, with protein and fats. use ezekial sprouted tortillas and make tofurky wraps. then you're not using any flour and youre getting tons of high quality protein. granolas. tostada salads. dude there are tons of things that you can toss in plastic containers, put in the fridge and then eat on your break.

quinoa is good cold. toss it with some veggies or even better, lentils. that'd be super protein!

no white flour? that's good, but do you still eat things made of 'whole' flour? try noodle dishes with whole wheat, brown rice or bucjwheat noodles. about half of all japanese noodle dishes are actually made cold. use a miso and some edamame with the noodles (assuming you eat soy).

i agree about hummus. that's easy to pack with whole wheat pita or veggies.

the veggie brats are always good cold. protein shakes that will last in the fridge. beans and veggie fajitas are still tasty cold. many dishes with leefy greens like kale are good cold. just todd them with nuts and it would be filling, with protein and fats. use ezekial sprouted tortillas and make tofurky wraps. then you're not using any flour and youre getting tons of high quality protein. granolas. tostada salads. dude there are tons of things that you can toss in plastic containers, put in the fridge and then eat on your break.

Yeah I've been meaning to try quinoa for awhile now. I'll have to look into some recipes. I'm a huge steel cut oat and brown rice fan, so that helps.

I will never touch tofurkey or any fake meat products like that again. It is manmade garbage and tears my stomach and intestinal lining to shreds. Same with soy milk, soybeans, and most tempeh. Tofu is literally the only thing that seems to agree with my internal organs, oddly enough. Not sure if it can be eaten cold or straight from package??

Thanks for the tips.

Wraps!

Get some sprouted grain tortillas and use them to wrap hummus (easy to make at home), lettuce, cucumbers, shredded carrots. Or fill with cooked grains, beans, chopped veggies of your choice. Or lettuce, avocado, cucumber, olives, sprouts. Whatever floats your boat.

avocados are good too.. sometimes i like to bring a whole avocado with me, and to 'prepare' them just 'open' 'em with my hands ( or a knife -optional ) and eat... they taste really good.. no salt nor sugar is needed.

just like an orange..

i know avocado is not enough, but it's one thing to be added to your lunch...

I will never touch tofurkey or any fake meat products like that again. It is manmade garbage and tears my stomach and intestinal lining to shreds. Same with soy milk, soybeans, and most tempeh. Tofu is literally the only thing that seems to agree with my internal organs, oddly enough. Not sure if it can be eaten cold or straight from package??

well, then. i didn't know that at the start. i don't eat any of that stuff either. i'm allergic to soy and i can't stand those packaged 'foods' anyway. my dad had a lot of digestive problems and then he cut out soy altogether and his problems all went away. so while tofu isn't affecting you adverselly, you might want to cut soy out completely. it does mess with hormones you knoww...

i'd try the quinoa. it cooks in about a third of the time that oats or rice take to cook. you can put different sauces/dressings on it. i like it with raisins, cinnamon and walnuts. or tossed with broccoli and some other veggies + lime avocado and cilantro. quinoa has it's own fat content, so it doesn't really need oil unless you're just looking for extra fat content. there's another similar grain called amaranth that is available at most whole foods/wild oats markets. it has a stronger flavor and is not for everyone, but you could try it too. it has about 14 grams of protein per serving! buckwheat is good too (same high protein content), but it's hard to cook because it tends to mush up. i eat it all the time like granola. i just soak the grains for 30-50 minutes, drain and refrigerate. if you don't refrigerate and instead rinse them every four hours they will sprout. but this take too much time for me to do....

i agree about the avocados. though if you're on a cutting phase, the 35 fat grams on average is problematic. but they do have about 15 grams fiber per whole avocado and 4-5 grams of protein. so that's not bad.

pumpkin seeds are also great. only 12-14 fat grams per serving, plus 8 grams fiber and 8 grams protein. tons of zinc. they have been shown to increase testosterone production, so i think of them as man's food.

well, then. i didn't know that at the start. i don't eat any of that stuff either. i'm allergic to soy and i can't stand those packaged 'foods' anyway. my dad had a lot of digestive problems and then he cut out soy altogether and his problems all went away. so while tofu isn't affecting you adverselly, you might want to cut soy out completely. it does mess with hormones you knoww...

i'd try the quinoa. it cooks in about a third of the time that oats or rice take to cook. you can put different sauces/dressings on it. i like it with raisins, cinnamon and walnuts. or tossed with broccoli and some other veggies + lime avocado and cilantro. quinoa has it's own fat content, so it doesn't really need oil unless you're just looking for extra fat content.

Right on. That avocado/cilantro/lime combo with the quinoa sounds pretty tasty. Thanks for the tips mang!

• 2 weeks later...

I commend you on your choice to boycott the microwave!! And I'm certainly not calling you a liar but I would be truly shocked to find peanut butter or pretzels as suggestions on a raw food site, since both are a no-go among raw foodies. Here's what I like:

nori seaweed veggie wraps

tabouleh

couscous with some goat cheese

carrot and cucumber slices/chips with dressing

I like making a corn mix with raw corn, cilantro, lime squeeze, carrot matchsticks, herbs/spices, honey, mustard, and a little olive oil.

Also, whole wheat pita cut into four pieces or use mini round pitas, top with spinach, sliced avocado, salsa, and cilantro.

I avoid getting bored with salads at work by being creative and changing it up a lot...like by making Tuesday Taco Salad day with Mexican food flavors and Thursday Greek Salad day accompanied by hummus and wheat pita bread..Chinese Chicken Salad, sans pollo..you get the picture. Good Luck!

Oh and btw, I weigh a helluva lot more than you do and I too need more than a sprout salad with raisins to fuel my day.