Do you talk to yourself when Training?

I talk to myself quite a bit, not in a loud crazy type way, but more to squeeze out another rep.

It tends to be things like "Push it" or if I'm having a bad day, "Come on Fat boy, push it"....

I use to do the same when racing Mountain bikes or when doing training rides. The motto then was, Push it to you puke

I do talk to myself! All the time! Even when I have a training partner. I talk very quietly, wisper, or talk in my head.

"Come on Cheeke, let's go"

"Bigger, Better, Stronger"

"This is it man, right here, let's go"

I also think about certain people, certain images, and goals in my head when I train. A lot of it is visual and a lot of self talk too

I talk to myself alot during workouts. Sometimes I say "Who is the best?" a la Marius Puzianowski (sp) before a heavy lift. It usually isn't true, but it works . Or I quote Arnold, especially from Pumping Iron. An example would be when he is spotting Ed Corney who is doing 315 lb squats. After 8 reps, Ed is getting tired, and Arnold says, "Cmon, let's get serious". That one does it every time. Or when he is talking about being able to get those last few reps, usually through the pain barrier. He says those that can make it through may become a champion, but those that cannot make it through will never become a champion. That inspires me too.

When I was in a bowling league as a little kid, I used to sing little songs to my bowling ball before I would throw the ball. It eventually became an OCDish thing where I thought I wouldn't hit any pins if I didn't do it. Unfortunately, it didn't help my terrible bowling skills.

Nowadays while lifting, I find myself singing the words under my breath to the dance mixes I'm listening to. I also back up the song before my set so that the breakdown will happen just as I'm struggling to crank out the last rep. Between sets, I have to fight the urge to dance!

When I was in a bowling league as a little kid, I used to sing little songs to my bowling ball before I would throw the ball. It eventually became an OCDish thing where I thought I wouldn't hit any pins if I didn't do it. Unfortunately, it didn't help my terrible bowling skills.

Nowadays while lifting, I find myself singing the words under my breath to the dance mixes I'm listening to. I also back up the song before my set so that the breakdown will happen just as I'm struggling to crank out the last rep. Between sets, I have to fight the urge to dance!

I just got a great mental image of you singing to your bowling ball

I tend to sing along to dance mixes between sets. I'm not quite Jan Johnston, but it doesn't stop me.

Edited by sydneyvegan

• 2 weeks later...

I usually talk to myself every workout!

I try to motivate myself by saying " come on philipp, those weights are nothing but little easter eggs", stunning or counting down from a rep number i want to assume....

or how ronnie coleman would say

"light weight light weight , nothin´ but a peaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanut"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...