wannalift eyes a 500 lb deadlift this spring...

after a 5 month or so layoff from powerlifting, i'm back in the game and have my sights set on a 500 lb deadlift. 500 lb squat would be nice too and i hope these both go down sometime in the spring. a questionable 455 is my best so far from the floor and i've pulled 545 from under 18" so i just have to split the difference

training is consiting of a lot of speed work (speed box squats w/ bands, speed pulls w/ bands, olympic lifts, depth jumps, etc.). other lifts like max effort good mornings, squat press, glute ham raises, RDL, band pulldowns, and such. wish me luck.

Best of luck! Why did you have the layoff? Injury? School? Combination of things? Lack of interest?

Go get that 500!

My vegan buddy pulled 490 recently. He weighs about 150 lbs so he's not real heavy but low to the ground. He tried 507 but couldn't quite get it.

Keep us updated on your progress.

• 2 months later...

my training has been awesome lately. its not really geared towards absolute strength, but rather more explosive strength. speed pulls are the only deads i do from the floor. i will attempt 500 by the end of the spring. also hope to get 300 x 15 on RDLs by the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

I think on good thing you can do is short squats...set your power rack at the bottom of your squat and simply go up 6 inches then slowly come back down...it seemed to do the trick for me...its a good way to get rid of that weak spot.

so far not so good. i'm not training at the gym that has a reverse hyper, so my back strength is not even close to where it needs to be. still only doing RDLs mostly. closing in on 275 x 15. last big pull i did was 455 from 12". tried 475, but couldn't get it to move. might try that squat idea from potter. problem is my lifting goals seem to change on a monthly basis. bending steel is my big thing at the moment. that and vertical leap.

If you want to get your vertical up get yourself some jumpsoles...they'll add a few inches in a week to most people. When I was playing tennis I went from 18 to 24 inches in a month when I was 14 and nearly 300lbs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

this isn't over....

i'm getting my back strong again although its tough without having access to a reverse hyper machine. regular back hypers and a lot of ab work (4 times per week) will have to do for now. did 315 for fast singles yesterday. i know its a long ways off, but how i execute 315 is a good barometer of how i do at heavier weights. i'd put myself at around 440 for now. with some consistent lower back training i can see myself pulling 500 by......well.....the end of the year anyway.