How do people/fitness models prepare for a photo shoot?

Bigbwii

I've been wondering about all of this for a long time, I'm hoping those experienced in this can help enlighten me.

What does all that entail?

Do you have to follow a special diet a head of time?

Do you have to follow a particular workout routine a head of time?

Thanks in advance!!!

If you get booked to do a photo shoot, then whoever booked you obviously likes the way you look.

I would recommend you therefore arrive at the shoot looking in the same shape you did when you were booked or it could cause problems.

Just relax and enjoy, its often a long boring day with lots of waiting around or sitting in make up but the finished results are always worth it I find.

good luck if you are off on your first modelling job - be careful its addictive

If you get booked to do a photo shoot, then whoever booked you obviously likes the way you look.

I would recommend you therefore arrive at the shoot looking in the same shape you did when you were booked or it could cause problems.

Just relax and enjoy, its often a long boring day with lots of waiting around or sitting in make up but the finished results are always worth it I find.

good luck if you are off on your first modelling job - be careful its addictive

NOOOooooo!!!!!

I'm not going off on a job, I'm too ugly for that, I'd be oweing the photographers money for cracking their lenses!

No I was just curious because I saw Seasirens post about preparing and I'd always thouht that fitness models were in shape all year round.

I imagine it's similar to preparing for a fight - you cut weight, and get good and warmed up before the shoot. A fitness model would want to show off the muscles at their best, right? Being that a shoot is probably all day, you'd have to do excercises throughout the day. And stay away from the craft service table!

I really have no idea, never done one (on either side of the camera) and probably never will - just imagining in print... maybe some of the pro bodybuilders here can chime in. Robert?

it all depends on the person i think. i never do anything different.

but i know some people who will only eat protein for the day before. or they starve. or who have other weird rituals.

one male model friend works out like hell the morning of the shoot. and he's always doing flexing/calastenics(sp?)/cruncjes during the shoot to keep his muscles full of blood. but he's concerned with his washboard abs and veins and such.

so i guess there is no one way of preparing. being relxed and trying to have as much fun as possible is the best bet for most people.

Hey Bigbwii

It really depends on the type of modeling you're doing. I always was a bit heavier than would diet down for the shoot. Not that anyone would notice form meeting me in person to the actual photo. The camera just makes me look heavier than I am in person, i.e. the camera "adds weight".

Now I have it down to a bit of a science. Since I am preparing for show the formula will be the same for the shoots this year. I maintain 15-18% BF in the "off season" (when I have nothing approaching). This allows me to continue to build muscle (I'm carrying more muscle now, yay!). And will diet down to show off all the hard work when competing or going in for photos. Around 10%BF for Figure Comp & 10-12% for photo. This is only held for the day of, and then re-feed begins as muscle loss can ensue being so low BF.

The %'s would be different for Male BB as women carry more fat naturally.

Also regarding pumping up, it depends on the job.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Bigbwii

It really depends on the type of modeling you're doing. I always was a bit heavier than would diet down for the shoot. Not that anyone would notice form meeting me in person to the actual photo. The camera just makes me look heavier than I am in person, i.e. the camera "adds weight".

Now I have it down to a bit of a science. Since I am preparing for show the formula will be the same for the shoots this year. I maintain 15-18% BF in the "off season" (when I have nothing approaching). This allows me to continue to build muscle (I'm carrying more muscle now, yay!). And will diet down to show off all the hard work when competing or going in for photos. Around 10%BF for Figure Comp & 10-12% for photo. This is only held for the day of, and then re-feed begins as muscle loss can ensue being so low BF.

The %'s would be different for Male BB as women carry more fat naturally.

Also regarding pumping up, it depends on the job.

Thanks SS

I think a few of us Portland fitness guys are going to be doing a photo shoot soon. We're doing some work with PETA, IDA and some stuff for ourselves. We'll let you know how it goes.

I've done a fair bit in the past, I've also auditioned for magazine modeling and things like that so I know a bit about it. I'll try to provide more insight soon. Just heading to bed now at nearly 2AM!