anyone got a recipe for breakfast burritos? egg substitutes?

Sam801

growing up my dad had a really good recipe for breakfast burritos. of course based around non vegan items like bacon, eggs, and cheese, with a few veggies in the mix. i was over there the other morning and i could smell them, so it reminded me that they even existed and made me want to search out a vegan version.

now for bacon, i generally stick to lightlife smart bacon... it's good tasting with a similar enough texture to bacon and seems to cook the same.

for cheese, i really like the tofutti presliced stuff for it's melting properties. but that's usually for stuff like sanwiches. for grated cheese i like vegan gourmet stuff so i think that's what i'd use. but i'm also curious if anyone else knows of a good vegan cheese that melts good and tastes good?

my main concern is with the eggs. i've yet to have a really satisfying scrambled egg substitute that wasnt just "okay". and the way my dad prepared the eggs, he crunched up corn chips really fine and mixed them in with the eggs while they're liquidy. so does anybody know of any good egg substitutes?

i'm really hoping this works out... if i can make this work well, i'll post a more "perfected" recipe.

if you're planning to have a yummy high-protein breakfast.. try tofu.

it's really easy, so easy that i don't even think 'recipe' is needed for that,

just cut it in 'slices' not too thin not too thick.. sauteed in olive oil. after few minutes of frying add soy sauce and/or salt to it.. and fry a little more..

p.s. before start slicing your tofu i'd suggest you to take the water out.. using a paper or something like that.. that helps the tofu absorbing more flavor.

-----

i hope that helps you.. it's really simple..

• 1 month later...

so i finaly got around to making an attempt at it. what a success!

i just made one BIG burrito's(if you had smaller tortillas you could make a couple small ones.) worth this first time since i was just experimenting.

the ingredients arent in exact measurement, i was just doing the "a little of this and a little of that" til it looked right, but here's my guestaments.

i used a small chunk of soft tofu, abuot 1"x1"x2"

a handful of white corn chips

3-4 tablespoons of mild salsa

4 drops of chalula

2 strips of smart bacon

2 slices of tofutti american style cheese

pinch of salt

pinch of pepper

pinch of seasoned salt

2 tablespoons of chopped up onions

throwing it all together....

1. in a small pan i had the smart bacon frying with the onions. until lightly browned.

2. i took the tofu and smashed it up really good with a fork in a little bowl, then i added the chalula, salsa, salt, pepper, and seasoned salt, stirring it together.

3. i put the corn chips in a little baggy and smashed them up really fine.

4. once the bacon and onions were done, i put them in the bowl with the tofu and everything.

5. i took the pan and filled it up with a very thin layer of water brought to a boil.

6. add the tofu bowl mixture to the water, try to get a constant stir so the water is boiling out but you dont want stuff sticking to the pan. add the crushed corn chips and break up the tofutti cheese slices and mix them in aswell.

7. stir it constantly til the water is mostly boiled out and the mixture doesnt seem very runny or soggy.

8. warm up a tortilla, put the mixture into it, fold, enjoy!

i did have my dad there helping. he seemed pretty impressed i was able to pull it off so well with vegan ingredients.

i'm confident next time will be better. i might try a little more salsa.

Personally I just go with silken tofu, some oregano, basil and pepper to cover the eggy part...then I add some pre sauteed onions/garlic along with a ton of nutritional yeast. This does the trick for me but sometimes its nice to have smart bacon...although its a bit pricey and I'd rather double the burrito's for less money.