kombucha tea

Hero

OK, maybe a stupid question, but how do you make tea easily without going over the 40 degree C / 115 degree F raw temperature limit they talk about? If you use a standard kettle it boils before turning off.

So do you stand over a pan at the stove and check the water carefully, or do make teas with cold water?

Sorry for sounded retarded

retarded, i dont think so. Anyhow if its sunny where you are put some tea bags in a clear container and brew up some sun tea. It'll take a few hours so set it up in the morning, head off to whatever you do during the day and come back for tea.

I like it too! The GT's/Synergy brand is my favorite & averages about $3-$3.50 here in Portland. It's much cheaper if you make yr own. Kombucha is a cultured tea/beverage & it's not really raw exactly as you use black tea to make it. It doesnt take much space - I brew/culture it in a gallon jar on the corner of my kitchen counter.

I don't know but $3 for 10 minutes of enjoyment(you can drink it slower but your probably oxidizing the crap) seems like a lot of money

OK, maybe a stupid question, but how do you make tea easily without going over the 40 degree C / 115 degree F raw temperature limit they talk about? If you use a standard kettle it boils before turning off.

So do you stand over a pan at the stove and check the water carefully, or do make teas with cold water?

Sorry for sounded retarded

the tea is cold

Some kombucha is heated at first to speed up brewing then it is fermented...while some is just plain raw...like sun brewing tea without heat...personally I don't see a difference between the two other than politics since the fermentation is what does everything in the end

Oh right, that is what sun tea is then. So just leaving tea in water. in sun light, or at room temperature and it does exactly the same as brewing it with a kettle etc, just longer.

If that's how it works, that means I can have all the teas I use to have before going raw, including Kombucha tea.

Now the big question, anything I should look for when buying teas to indicate that they haven't been overly processed, so suitable to the raw lifestyle ?

I don't know but $3 for 10 minutes of enjoyment(you can drink it slower but your probably oxidizing the crap) seems like a lot of money

I wouldn't drink it very often at that price but as I'm homebrewing now the cost is well under $3 per gallon.

I have a couple of Kombucha cultures available to any locals who want them - free of course. I'll have a couple more every 2 weeks or so.

The head of the glassblowing department here at VCU is vegan and makes kombucha with his wife(she's Japanese...not that that matters much)...anyway I'll be glad to take some off of you when I get to Portland

As for teas I really don't think it matters since even if it is put in a slow dehydrator or sun dried...there aren't any enzymes in the leaves left anyhow. Its like raisins...they have lots of antioxidants but if they've been in a package for months and months after have the life sucked out of them they are no more raw than deep fried grapes

As for teas I really don't think it matters since even if it is put in a slow dehydrator or sun dried...there aren't any enzymes in the leaves left anyhow. Its like raisins...they have lots of antioxidants but if they've been in a package for months and months after have the life sucked out of them they are no more raw than deep fried grapes

I totally agree!

this is my take on all the hype about how "amazing" goji berries are.

Such as the Kirlian photography done on them to 'prove' there energy force, people need to remember that was probably taken when the

berries were FRESHLY picked, not dried/dehydrated and shipped

thousands of miles to sit on a health food store shelf/bulk bin for months.

According to my Colon Hydrotherapist, Kombucha gives you gas. I would be wary.

I've heard the same thing about being vegan, raw, etc... Personally, I have not noticed Kombucha giving me gas & I've been drinking it semi-regularly for months. Even if it did though, I'd still drink it.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so I tried this stuff (store bought in a bottle), took my first sip and couldn't say for sure if I liked it or not because of the long snotty string that ended up in my mouth. Needless to say, I was quite surprised and grossed out and haven't dared another sip.

Maybe the bottle sat too long in the store? Or is it always like that?

I always feel great when I drink Kombucha and sure it does taste a bit funny but its good at the same time. As for feeling great part of it may be that I'm spending a lot of money on flavored water.

Ok, so I tried this stuff (store bought in a bottle), took my first sip and couldn't say for sure if I liked it or not because of the long snotty string that ended up in my mouth. Needless to say, I was quite surprised and grossed out and haven't dared another sip.

Maybe the bottle sat too long in the store? Or is it always like that?

thats part of the culture. there will be "strings" in it. you could try shaking it up after its been open at least once, so it doesnt explode on you like a soda can when you re-open it.

try getting a kombucha tea with a good fruit flavor to mask the taste. i rather enjoy the actually taste of the non flavored kind.

I noticed the tea makes my glands swell in my throat a little bit and i get kinda sick, but then later on i feel so much more amazing. i think its cause it tests my immune system. and then my immune system fights it and becomes stronger.

• 4 months later...

http://www.amazon.com/Yogi-Tea-Green-Kombucha-Bags/dp/B000PIMWHQ/ref=sr_1_20/105-8625353-0144459?ie=UTF8&s=gourmet-food&qid=1186104727&sr=8-20

I buy that stuff linked above. Its the Yogi green tea kombucha. It's probably not the same stuff you all are talking about. Anyhow a box costs around 5$, but this store called Big Lots has it for $1.50. So if you want to get some cheap...

Kambocha is my fav drink for sure!! Im hooked on that stuf,f I have between 1 and 2 bottles a day. Yum, YUM. But everytime I have it, it makes my tummy warm, my head feels...er, big? And my arms and legs all relaxed and jelly like LOL. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much? My fav is the multi green one.

However, first time I had it I wasn't over pleased. But the taste grew on me (not to mention the funny feelings from drinking it) I keep mine out of the fridge untill it reaches room temperature, then I enjoy it. Im not keen on cold stuff, but it takes longer to drink (I warm every sip in my mouth before swallowing) which means a good 30-40 minutes of pleasure for me! Now how cool isn't THAT???

Ill sure miss it when I return home! Good thing I can make my own! YAY!