PETA letter to Al Gore - very interesting

finbarrio

Saw this on Drudge of all places:

PETA TO AL GORE: YOU CAN’T BE A MEAT-EATING ENVIRONMENTALIST

Tue Mar 06 2007 17:08:05 ET

The Most ‘Inconvenient Truth’: According to U.N., Animals Raised for Food Generate More Greenhouse Gases Than All Cars and Trucks Combined

Norfolk, Va. — This morning, PETA sent a letter to former vice president Al Gore explaining to him that the best way to fight global warming is to go vegetarian and offering to cook him faux “fried chicken” as an introduction to meat-free meals. In its letter, PETA points out that Gore’s film, An Inconvenient Truth—which starkly outlines the potentially catastrophic effects of global warming and just won the Academy Award for “Best Documentary”—has failed to address the fact that the meat industry is the largest contributor to greenhouse-gas emissions.

In the letter, PETA points out the following:

· The effect that our meat addiction is having on the climate is truly staggering. In fact, in its recent report “Livestock’s Long Shadow—Environmental Issues and Options,” the United Nations determined that raising animals for food generates more greenhouse gases than all the cars and trucks in the world combined.

· Researchers at the University of Chicago have determined that switching to a vegan diet is more effective in countering global warming than switching from a standard American car to a Toyota Prius.

PETA also reminds Gore that his critics love to question whether he practices what he preaches and suggests that by going vegetarian, he could cut down on his contribution to global warming and silence his critics at the same time.

“The single best thing that any of us can do to for our health, for animals, and for the environment is to go vegetarian,” says PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk. “The best and easiest way for Mr. Gore to show his critics that he’s truly committed to fighting global warming is to kick his meat habit immediately.”

I too thank you for posting this. I imagine he's thought about diet but doesnt want to turn people away but honestly I think its easier to change diet than to try to not drive at all or get a new car. Hope he can change some of his life to be consistent.

actually, Al Gore did know about the effects of meat consumption, as a matter of fact he even had that information in 'his' website, suggesting people to avoid meat other animal products, if he's not a vegetarian, it's probably because he doesn't care, or lazyness ( or something like that ), who knows, but it's probably not a good excuse. But yes, i agree, he should have a plant-based diet.

And I believe he has money enough to make a perfect transition with professional help, buying organic and local grown as well.. i'm not sure if he does anything like that, but he should, he got no excuse.

Even if he was vegetarian, i don't think advocating the idea in his documentary would be a good idea, in the website that was a great idea, because people who were interested would go and find what they're looking for.. but not in the documentary, that'd turn a lot of people away.. maybe in a not-so-far-away future.. lol..

Awesome letter, thanks for sharing!

Gore would do well to stop traveling the world in his private jet too. So much for environmentalist Gore!

he should turn his jet into a hybrid.. roflol

( perhaps electric..? lol )

....but honestly I think its easier to change diet than to try to not drive at all or get a new car.

I agree 110%. That's a good thing to put into perspective for people who care about the enviornment (who might not know about the harsh effects of eating meat).

Gore is a moron...especially with that crap about him having lanterns that run all night long and a heated swimming pool in Tenessee. Chances are they aren't even home all that often. Also I heard that they have an energy bill 20x the national average.

Gore is a moron...especially with that crap about him having lanterns that run all night long and a heated swimming pool in Tenessee. Chances are they aren't even home all that often. Also I heard that they have an energy bill 20x the national average.

i wasn't expecting that from him...

Unfortunately the majority of his utility bill(over half) was natural gas...which means he produces over 10x the non renewable emisssions as the average man...probably the same case with all the flying he does...unless he has a hydrogen jet but I highly doubt it.

Gore is a moron...

What's up with all the gore-bashing? Yes sure he's not very consistent but he does a lot to create awareness for the environmental problems. And according to his own statements his house does run on green energy. The flying thing is of course very polluting, but keep in mind that he does buy carbon-offset. Of course it'd be better if he gave the right example, but I think it's unfair to focus on the negative and ignore all the postive things he has done.

Edited by Last of the Sane

You can only focus on the positive so much...to me what he's done is great but it seems to be for his own benefit as much as the environment...could you imagine the hoopla that would be caused if the president of PETA went to McDonalds to buy a Big Mac. Then you find out the she only wanted publicity...would you still look at her positively. Its very easy to be environmentally friendly(to near completeness) if you have the bucks and Gore has the bucks to cause no emissions from his home...intead he uses 20x the energy...not 2x which is bad enough but 20x...thats complete BS

I honestly wouldn't compare the two since it possible that Gore doesn't really care about the environment at all...I'm not saying Ingrid is the queen of veganism or anything...just mentioning her as a prominant name...the same as if Ghandi dropped a bomb on people he dissagreed with.