Looking for Apartment or Room to Rent in Portland

Jessifly

I have a room to rent from my friend when I arrive in Portland the end of this month, but she's got a small crowed condo as it is so with me and my animals I'm going to need to look for something more suitable for us. Anyone know of someone looking for an awesome roommate and/or renter such as myself? I need a place that will allow my friendly old mellow doggie and 2 loveable indoor kitties. Thanks! Jessi

Me and my girlfriend will be in Portland(mid-late may) if you want a three month subletter but thats all we can do...we're headed to Santa Fe come September.

Jessi,

I'll be sure to keep my eyes & ears open for a place well-suited to yr family.

What are ya looking/willing to pay? What part/s of Pdx are ya considering? What other requirements/preferences do ya have in place to stay &/or the people ya share yr place with?

Here's the best housing resource I know of: http://www.portland.craigslist.org/hhh/

Me and my girlfriend will be in Portland(mid-late may) if you want a three month subletter but thats all we can do...we're headed to Santa Fe come September.

If I have a place with extra room by then you two would be more than welcome to stay there

Jessi,

I'll be sure to keep my eyes & ears open for a place well-suited to yr family.

What are ya looking/willing to pay? What part/s of Pdx are ya considering? What other requirements/preferences do ya have in place to stay &/or the people ya share yr place with?

Here's the best housing resource I know of: http://www.portland.craigslist.org/hhh/

Thanks loveliberate! I've been checking Craigslist daily.. I've sent several replys but have received zero in return yet.

As far as what I'm willing to pay that really depends on the place, the lower the better (for a room $300-$500/mo) but depending on the size, location, etc I could pay more for the right place (apt/condo/house - around $600-$700/ mo.. possibly up to $900/mo but it'd have to be really perfect!)

I'm not sure of the exact location of where I will be working and I am not very familiar with the neighborhoods of Portland yet but I think a central location, more close-in would be good. Just not so far out as like, Gresham.

My preferences are a yard or nearby park for Sierra. That's really all. I get along with everyone so I think I could live with anyone, I suppose I would just prefer responsible roommate(s). Oh, and non-smoking roommate(s), at least not indoors.

Jessi,

The apartment complex I live in sounds like it could be an excellent match for you. It often has openings & allows animal companions with a deposit. We're in a fairly central location close to main streets but this particular street is fairly quiet. I believe that 1 bedrooms run $575 & 2 bedroom places go for $675.

There is a bus line on the street right in front of the apartments & 3 others within a 10 minute walk. There is a large park perfect for the dog running that is about a 5 minute walk plus a large fenced in dog park on Mt. Tabor, a large wooded semi-natural park which is a only about a 15 minute walk away.

I found this description online:

"Please call Amanda today to visit this beatiful community, nestled in the Historic Mt. Tabor district. This is truly a gem of a community!

Professional on-site management staff allows us to provide excellent attention to our residents' concerns as well as to the proper maintenance of the property.

Large 1 bedroom flat and 2-bedroom townhouses available now!

Pets are welcome based on policy- please ask the manager for details!!

This apartment community is located in a park-like setting close to schools, shopping, public transportation and restaurants. The grounds lend themselves to an enjoyable community atmosphere, especially in the spring and summer. Each apartment has front and back door entries. Hot water and onsite laundry are provided for you and extra storage is available.

These apartment homes feature charming tiled kitchens, ceiling fans and hardwood or carpeted flooring. Trash and recycling service is provided for you.

Please come visit this beautiful community today!"

I'll check with the manager next time I see her & see when she expects a place to open up here.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for my delayed reply.

It looks like there will be a 1 bedroom coming open in Mid-April. There have been a couple of changes since I last looked into apartments here - here's the details:

$625 month - $200 security deposit, I think this is fully refundable - $35 application fee for each (human) person 18 or older

Due to people not picking up after their critter companions, the management company may not be allowing new ones...

IF they do allow yr animal friends, it's decided on a case by case basis & there is a $250 deposit, $115 of which is non-refundable.

I found this on the NW-Veg forums:

"Vegan roommate wanted

I am looking for a mature, vegan woman to share my home with me in Sellwood. I am a vegan woman who teaches a lot and need a fun and responsible roommate. I would hope to share meals, movies, conversations... whenever possible.

Please call me if interested. 503-914-9011

Thanks, Connie "

I just spoke with Connie: Rent is $375.00 which includes utilities but she doesnt want any more animals...

HMMM ...I wonder if she would be cool with a Male Roomate for three months so long as he's with his wonderful girlfriend...just hypothetical.

There's a housing board at the Daily Grind a vegetarian grocery store on Hawthorne. The folks who post there are generally vegetarian/vegan. Might be worth checking out if you get here and haven't found anything yet.

Edit to add:

Belmont, Division, Stark, Hawthorne, Clinton are probably all decent streets to be near (although I'm SE biased). Although you probably don't want to be right on any of those streets directly. Also you don't want to be on 39th. If you use those streets as search terms you should find some options. Addresses in Portland let you know how far from the river the place is if it's on a name street. Or how far from burnside they are if they're on a number street. So 2918 SE Woodward is on 29th and Woodward and 1511 SE 47th is 15 blocks south of burnside on 47th street.

Anything between 12th to 60th and Burnside or even NE Couch to Powell or even Holgate shouldn't be awful. If you find something and you want my thoughts as a life-long inner SE resident shoot me a PM and I'll give ya my thoughts.

Edited by Aaron

She's actually my neighbor I saw jessifly yesterday over at my house. She's in the neighborhood just a couple of blocks away, so I think she found a place....I'm sure she'll update us soon. She just got into town yesterday so it will take her a little while to get settled.

Welcome to Oregon jessifly!!!

Yeah, our community in Portland is growing! More and more forum members are moving out here! Tigress will be here soon too

I hang out with forum members pretty much everyday, even with my 12-hour work day schedules. It's good times out here.

One of the girls from Blossoming Lotus lives just down the road a couple of blocks away as well. Another Blossoming Lotus girl (lilikoi on the forum) just moved from this neighborhood over more towards Aaron, loveliberate, xdarthveganx, and andesuma.

Others like DV and oregonisaac live on the west side and many more are around town too. It's like Vegan Vacation every week!!!!

I don't think anyone was assuming you were looking for dates. I certainly didn't. I know a couple of you guys provided helpful info.

I was just saying that she's here in town now because I wasn't sure if anyone else knew that. I know she appreciates all the helpful leads on places. I don't know how long she'll stay at her new place but it will be cool having her in the neighborhood.

We'll do more gatherings soon and I'd like to do some group training sessions at the YMCA too!

loveliberate, thanks for the information! For now I'll see how everything goes with my friends place. In this little condo we've currently got 2 dogs, 4 cats, a ferret, a guinea pig, a rabbit and 4 humans under the roof. But so far it's been fairly smooth, much to my surprise. If it doesn't work I may be messaging you at some point to check out your complex.

Aaron, thank you also for your help. I'll have to check out that housing board if my new place doesn't work.

Robert, thanks for letting us hang out a bit when I was locked out! If I wasn't so exhausted from moving I would have been better company.. I could hardly keep my eyes open

I'm so glad to finally be in Portland and I really look forward to meeting everyone!

• 1 month later...
It's great that Jessi is in town now - I look forward to meeting her.

It was nice to meet you at the garage sale and the potluck! Sorry I didn't get to talk to you much but I'm sure I'll see you around a lot. You mentioned you'd like to get into climbing, I'm wanting to also, we should get a group together at a rock gym sometime maybe