Help with Seal Hunt Poll

veganmonk

I voted.

I just voted & the poll aint going so well:

"Should the seal hunt be banned? YES 26% NO 74%"

Why would anyone vote NO on that? I don't get it. Seems like there must be more to the story.. but I couldn't find anything about it on the website. Weird.

I voted. Why would anyone vote NO on that? I don't get it. Seems like there must be more to the story.. but I couldn't find anything about it on the website. Weird.

Thanks for voting!

People support seal slaughter for a variety of reasons, mostly economic and social. It's not particularly different than any of the other industries based on murdering &/or enslaving animals...

Voted. Kind of surprising. Or maybe not. The popular media image of the seal hunt is that it's an economic necessity, and that the seal population is too large and is responsible for the collapse of the cod fishery in Nfld. All bullshit of course. DFO mismanagement killed the cod fishery and the sealers are the unemployed fishermen. The Department of Fisheries and Oceans has a whole legion of scientists and veterinarians working to pass the seal hunt off as sustainable and humane. Of course it's really far from it. When I've talked to people about the seal hunt, they really just don't know anything about it, and pretend it doesn't exist. They start to change their minds when they learn that over 40% of the seals are skinned alive, and can take up to 20 minutes to die in absolute agony. All for vanity. I've written letters to Loyola Hearn (Minister of DFO) and Prime Minister Stephen Harper. I've only ever gotten form letters back. The premier of NFLD even attended an energy conference in Alberta wearing a seal skin coat recently. The gov't did just finally acknolwedge that the seal populations are in decline, but I believe unless the public's opinion is changed, they'll allow and endorse hunting the harp seal into extinction. Then the fishermen will be out of work yet again.

Thanks for posting the poll link, veganmonk.