Confused about fruits and fats

Monow

OK I'm reading as much as I can, but I'm unsure about a few things.

1) Unsure what a fruit is now after reading raw books. So tomatoes are fruits and so are cuccumbers. How come they are classed as fruits, because they have seeds ? Does that mean pumpkin and such vegetables are fruits too (working on the seeds assumption) ?

2) They talk about sweet fruits a lot. What basic categories are there then with fruits, and what fruits go into each?

3) Now I have been making smoothies in the morning, and have been using, bananas, sometimes mangos, avacados, goji berries, spinach, parsley. Now these taste good, but what I read says that fats shouldn't be combined with fruits. So that means the avacado should not be in that smoothie. But I take neither should the greens either. As fruits should be eaten alone. Is that correct ? Also the best way to eat fruit is one type at one sitting, is that correct ?

4) So overall am I right in thinking it should be like this :-

Fruits (mono eating)

Greens + fats = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens + fats = fine

Vegetables + greens = fine

Vegetables + greens + fats = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens + fats + vegetables = fine

What I am now starting to gather is, that if you give the body what it wants, in the form it wants, it will perform how nature intended. If you mix foods incorrectly or give it unnatural foods you will tax the digestive system and it will start to break down. It does seem complicated at first, but I am at the stage where it is starting to feel natural now. It's just these little holes in my understanding that are evading me. I'm sure with a few tweaks in my diet, I will improve even faster.

Thanks

OK I'm reading as much as I can, but I'm unsure about a few things.

1) Unsure what a fruit is now after reading raw books. So tomatoes are fruits and so are cuccumbers. How come they are classed as fruits, because they have seeds ? Does that mean pumpkin and such vegetables are fruits too (working on the seeds assumption) ?

2) They talk about sweet fruits a lot. What basic categories are there then with fruits, and what fruits go into each?

3) Now I have been making smoothies in the morning, and have been using, bananas, sometimes mangos, avacados, goji berries, spinach, parsley. Now these taste good, but what I read says that fats shouldn't be combined with fruits. So that means the avacado should not be in that smoothie. But I take neither should the greens either. As fruits should be eaten alone. Is that correct ? Also the best way to eat fruit is one type at one sitting, is that correct ?

4) So overall am I right in thinking it should be like this :-

Fruits (mono eating)

Greens + fats = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens + fats = fine

Vegetables + greens = fine

Vegetables + greens + fats = fine

Non sweet fruits (tomatoes & cuccumbers) + greens + fats + vegetables = fine

What I am now starting to gather is, that if you give the body what it wants, in the form it wants, it will perform how nature intended. If you mix foods incorrectly or give it unnatural foods you will tax the digestive system and it will start to break down. It does seem complicated at first, but I am at the stage where it is starting to feel natural now. It's just these little holes in my understanding that are evading me. I'm sure with a few tweaks in my diet, I will improve even faster.

Thanks

Gee Whiz you sure made hard work out of that!!!

It's pretty simple...pick up a fruit or cut up some veggies and eat it!

The books you are currently reading aren't very good books and are written by authors that are only out for your money, these books are geared to create as much confusion so you have to depend on buying more of their books, your also reading raw books with raw "gourmet" recipes which is not the best way to go but is a lot easier than doing it properly and going 100%, after all if they told you how to do it properly then people wouldn't buy their books because who wants to go through detoxification.

Raw "gourmet" is heavier and is made to mimic the very foods that we are trying to give up.....raw"gourmet" was only supposed to be a tool used briefly to transition to 100% raw but now has actually become the raw lifestyle, raw "gourmet" is not a true representation of the raw lifestyle.

The Raw lifestyle is so simple, it's the detox you gotta worry about.

Checkout this website... www.fruitarian.com or old raw posts here.

Raw "gourmet" is heavier and is made to mimic the very foods that we are trying to give up.....raw"gourmet" was only supposed to be a tool used briefly to transition to 100% raw but now has actually become the raw lifestyle, raw "gourmet" is not a true representation of the raw lifestyle.

I so totally agree..

Most raw gourmet foods are so polarized, either being overly sweet,

overly fat, or a mix of everything;and almost all of it is improper food combining.

I do love some simple raw "gourmet" foods (like wraps for one..),

but I've found over the years, I just want simpler and simpler things.

Raw gourmet food should be used for transition and transition only.

I find that if I make it too complicated for my body (including

even mixing acid fruits with sub-acid fruits sometimes), I end up

with digestive issues.

It's best kept simple, but it can be difficult getting to that level;

and it all takes time.

Monow-

Try not to overwhelm yourself.

You're still fairly new to raw, & I'm sure you're body is still changing

and cleaning out, and isn't being overly picky with proper food combinations, yet.

Just focus on keeping fruits with fruits.

And veggies with veggies.

Greens are a different catagory, and combine well with EVERYTHING.

(especially great in smoothies, and as salads with nuts or avocado)

Try and keep nuts/seeds seperate from everything, they combine

with greens, but that's about it.

An example of a sweet fruit would be a banana.

An example of an acid fruit would be an orange.

An example of a sub-acid fruit would be an apple.

A way to make this easy on yourself, is to do a lot of mono eating.

(such as, eating only bananas until you're full, waiting an hour or so until

it is fully digested to eat something else..)

Proper food combining is also when you'll notice dramatic changes

and improvements in your over all health and well being while being

raw.

A lot of raw food websites fail to mention that very important aspect

of the lifestyle.

Thanks for the response Bigbwii, I am sure you must get fed up of reading the same questions about starting the lifestyle. Though some of the questions I have asked on the forum have even made me cringe, as I have never felt such a newbie as going raw (I even find the questions stupid). As I have said many times before in other threads, that it’s not the change of food that is the hardest in this lifestyle, but the change in mindset.

When you enter the raw lifestyle you soon realise that most of the things you have grown up with have now gone. Like meal time structures, food preparation, food shopping (I only use about 10% of the supermarket now), there are so many more things too, but maybe when I am further down the road I will be able to articulate them better. But at this stage there is a culture shock for sure. Not that I have a problem with that, though it is unusual to think that one thing in your life can change everything in your life.

I do have the utmost respect for you, as you have done the initial journey, so know what it is like. Also I realise that you take your advisor role seriously, though it is frustrating when you can’t always pass on your advice so easily to new comers as they just don’t seem to grasp the most basic piece of advice you can give, which is “keep it simple”.

I am now slowly grasping the complexity of the life style, and the complexity is, is in its simplicity. I have read a lot so far and I am getting to the stage where I am getting “the message”. Just I do have to post a few of these less than sparkling enquiries, as my mindset is slowly changing, I do need a little confirmation of what is what. I am trying to now sift through lies, misinformation and the truth at this stage, which does cast up some weird theories.

Thankfully there are forums around though, as where do beginners come to share the confused thoughts on things otherwise. So thanks for putting up with people like myself who still ask such mind boggling over complex questions.

Thanks Andesume, for you help also. I have taken aboard your comment of not trying to get overwhelmed with it all. I am about to take a step back from it all for a while and let the information I have got so far, sink in.

Thanks for simplifying the food combining for me. Though it does sound simple how you explained it, in some of the books etc it doesn’t come across as such. So I can now feel confident that I’m back on track.

The mono eating does sound right, as when I do that I always know when I am full, or what fruits I should be going for, so I think I will work more like that.

What you both have mentioned about the gourmet cooking is also something I have come to believe too. At one stage I was planning on buying a dehydrator, but now I am unsure if I want to, as it seems just as easy to grab some fruit or make a smoothie or have a salad. I don’t really want “mocked” cooked foods. Pizza, burger looking raw foods doesn’t now look as appealing to me as when I first started. Something inside of me is quite happy to just grab and go, rather than do a major food preparation events.

Overall I am listening to what messages are coming from my body. Like for some reason I find myself eating 5 oranges in a go, because it feels right to do so. I think I must be going through some stage of detox for sure. As my dyslexia has become notably worse in the last couple of weeks. Thank goodness for spell checkers. I find the dumbing down of my brain a little weird, though I can only assume with time that I will find clarity of mind far superior to any I have had ever.

Thanks for your input; it is very welcome. As being able to work out the basics can only help me understanding the global picture better.

Man you must really be confused after reading all that stuff now!! I totally see where you are coming from though!! There is so much conflicting information out there how could you not be confused.

Food combining has not been scientifically proven.

Food + Food = Fine

Healthy Vegan Food + Healthy Vegan Food = Awesome!!

Thanks for the response Bigbwii, I am sure you must get fed up of reading the same questions about starting the lifestyle. Though some of the questions I have asked on the forum have even made me cringe, as I have never felt such a newbie as going raw (I even find the questions stupid). As I have said many times before in other threads, that it’s not the change of food that is the hardest in this lifestyle, but the change in mindset.

When you enter the raw lifestyle you soon realise that most of the things you have grown up with have now gone. Like meal time structures, food preparation, food shopping (I only use about 10% of the supermarket now), there are so many more things too, but maybe when I am further down the road I will be able to articulate them better. But at this stage there is a culture shock for sure. Not that I have a problem with that, though it is unusual to think that one thing in your life can change everything in your life.

I do have the utmost respect for you, as you have done the initial journey, so know what it is like. Also I realise that you take your advisor role seriously, though it is frustrating when you can’t always pass on your advice so easily to new comers as they just don’t seem to grasp the most basic piece of advice you can give, which is “keep it simple”.

I am now slowly grasping the complexity of the life style, and the complexity is, is in its simplicity. I have read a lot so far and I am getting to the stage where I am getting “the message”. Just I do have to post a few of these less than sparkling enquiries, as my mindset is slowly changing, I do need a little confirmation of what is what. I am trying to now sift through lies, misinformation and the truth at this stage, which does cast up some weird theories.

Thankfully there are forums around though, as where do beginners come to share the confused thoughts on things otherwise. So thanks for putting up with people like myself who still ask such mind boggling over complex questions.

Yes, it's a total life and body overhaul and the dedication you need to be successful in the long term is incredible but it will build great charater and will teach you a lot about yourself and human nature, a lot of people cannot handle the culture shock or the amount of dedication needed to stay "clean".

It's like being a former alcoholic working in a bar, you gotta be dedicated to your personal goals at all times.

Hey man don't worry about asking stupid questions, I'm the king of asking stupid questions, yeah I'm not a perfect guy and I don't always like answering peoples repetative questions, so I just pick and choose as I go, for me it's just my mission to share my experience in the hopes that it might help someone as there is masses of mis-information going around the Raw community because very few people last long enough to share anything of use and the ones that do get hounded or ridiculed but at the end of the day we will all have our own stages/experiences to go through, that's why I'm not really in favour of reading these raw books because the lifestyle is way too personal to be generalized by a book.

Another problem with the Raw community is that you have people arguing/debating about the validity of the Raw lifestyle and trashing each others experiences which is what keeps the successful long time Fruitarian/RawVegans like me away, so your left with a situation where the blind is leading the blind and many times you get people thinking that all they need to do is go through 2-3 weeks of going raw and that's their detox done, when in fact there's many stages to go through for many years yet.

Don't worry about anything, just focus on having fun experiencing the lifestyle for yourself, listening to your body and eating great food.

Going raw is a wonderful thing and one of the great treasures of the world.

Bigbwii!

Man you must really be confused after reading all that stuff now!! I totally see where you are coming from though!! There is so much conflicting information out there how could you not be confused.

Food combining has not been scientifically proven.

Food + Food = Fine

Healthy Vegan Food + Healthy Vegan Food = Awesome!!

you mean foods having different digestive times and requiring different sets of enzymes and secretions isn't scientifically proven?

have you ever had gas?

"fine" is another way of saying, "don't tell me otherwise because i've justified it in my own mind for myself to enjoy"

i don't think he's so confused i think he is just starting to see clarity

The funny thing is that all of this is not for us to figure out, the animals in the wild don't need to read through any books to learn what to eat or how to combine foods, they don't count calories, protien or watch their carbs, our bodies know what is right and what is needed, the cofusing part is getting our minds away from cooked foods and the science thats geared towards how and what cooked foods to eat and all the conditioning and emotional habits that addition brings.

It's a huge learning curve but with persistance and compassion towards each other we'll all get there.