Giving Blood!

Vixen

I wasn't sure if this should go in Personal Milestones and Best, so I'm going to share this here. A couple months ago I tried to give blood and was turned away because I didn't have enough iron in my bloodstream. The person who tested my blood told me that it was most likely because I am vegan. I felt so frustrated by this that I began to eat better over the next couple of months.

Yesterday I gave went in to gave blood and not only did I meet the iron requirement, I exceeded it. In general. 50% of women who try to give blood are turned away. Being both a vegan and a woman and being able to give my blood has made me feel very proud.

When I got home I shared my experience with my omnivorous counterparts back at my residence hall. Many of them couldn't give blood because they didn't have enough iron despite their claims that vegans are anemic.

Wow! Go you!

I've only given blood once, and I guess my iron was fine, they didn't say anything. I usually can't give blood because they have all of these weird rules about giving blood after being tattooed. I think the basics are that you can't ever give blood within a year of being tattooed and I seem to get tattooed about every year, so I'm almost always not welcome to donate!

Thats great but at the same time you've gotta watch it...high iron isn't very good and the average iron is probably higher than its supposed to be.

I usually can't give blood because they have all of these weird rules about giving blood after being tattooed. I think the basics are that you can't ever give blood within a year of being tattooed and I seem to get tattooed about every year, so I'm almost always not welcome to donate!

Haha, had the same prob here. I really would do it again. But the tattoos... But here you "just" have to wait 4 month. After 4 month you can analyze your blood for HIV.

So I will try it again in july.... if there will be no new..........

this year i managed to get my ass into the docs office for a blood test without anyone holding me down so i dont knock the doc out..... so i might donate blood since i know i can actually keep my cool

i hate that anemic bullshit people talk about..... one person i know said she stopped being veg cuz her doctor told her to eat meat....... BUUUULLSHIT!!!!!! i just want to smack her...... its not cuz you're veg its cuz you're stupid

I usually can't give blood because they have all of these weird rules about giving blood after being tattooed. I think the basics are that you can't ever give blood within a year of being tattooed and I seem to get tattooed about every year, so I'm almost always not welcome to donate!

Haha, had the same prob here. I really would do it again. But the tattoos... But here you "just" have to wait 4 month. After 4 month you can analyze your blood for HIV.

So I will try it again in july.... if there will be no new..........

And what about new piercings?

this year i managed to get my ass into the docs office for a blood test without anyone holding me down so i dont knock the doc out..... so i might donate blood since i know i can actually keep my cool

i hate that anemic bullshit people talk about..... one person i know said she stopped being veg cuz her doctor told her to eat meat....... BUUUULLSHIT!!!!!! i just want to smack her...... its not cuz you're veg its cuz you're stupid

I know a lot of people who were vegan until a doctor told them they shouldn't be. I even know someone who was vegan for a couple years and got considerably healthier...then her doctor told her it'll catch up with her so she went omni again...she's gained over 20lbs this year and I doubt any of it is muscle.

And what about new piercings?

I never had view on that point 'cause I don't like piercings very much and will never get one. But I think it's the same like tattoos 'cause even the piercer uses gloves there will be a needle, a wound and some blood and who knows if you didn't got that in a grubby roadhouse's back room.

No, not at all...

One of the Questions on the blood donor form is "Have you had male to male sex in the last 12 months"... If so you must wait a year, This includes Safe Sex.

Unless I'm in a serious drought, I usually have done something in the last 12 months.

The fact that I get regular tests for HIV and other STD's doesn't matter, nor does the fact that I ALWAYS play safe....

As they wouldn't use my blood if I donated, I figure it might as well stay in me.

sadly, im sure he's not. i give blood alot, and you have to do a rigorous questionnaire, which involves a lot of questions about sex. for HIV purposes. however, the questions are very skewed against gay men. basically if you are a gay male or a man who even once slept with a man, or a woman who slept with a gay male, you can neve give blood. it seems so homophobic. because its the safe sex practices you use, and perhaps number of sex partners in past year that would matter,.

I can´t stand thoses homophobic a...holes!

I guess someone who needs blood indispensable to life doesn´t care about your sexual preferences.

"Sorry mister, we only have gay blood, so I guess you rather die..?!"

http://www.mafia-forum.de/phpBB2/images/smiles/ohmann.gif

In Canada, you can't give blood if you're a man and you've had sex with another man at any time since the 1970's. And negative HIV tests don't matter; you are excluded if you've ever been tested. I guess they're assuming that you would only be getting tested if you believed you might have HIV ie: were having unsafe sex. Stupid.

• 4 months later...

I gave blood today and got the iron test.

She said that my blood "dropped like a rock"

There is plenty of iron in my blood.

I went in without eating for 12 hours.

They tried to push cheese and crackers and some gatorade on me.

So I ate a couple bananas in the car and drank a couple bottles of water.

I didn't want to explain my diet so I just told them I gave up junk food.

I've never donated blood before this.

I didn't eat because they were offering free cholesterol check with the donation.

The other times I had blood work done, they wanted me to fast.

This is only a simple cholesterol check, no other tests, so food is ok.

I hope my cholesterol has dropped under 150 by now.

Next time I will have a meal before going.

Good thing I had bananas in my car, all they had was junk food.