Tofutti Products Not Vegan

sydneyvegan

Cane Sugar actually doesn't mean its not refined...if it says sugar you can be certain its refined...if it says organic cane sugar no its not. Domino bags say pure cane sugar and I know they aren't vegan...the produce nearly 90% of America's sugar and if you see a bag of sugar names after your grocery store or some imitation company its probably contracted out by Domino. I called Domino about there sugar being vegan a few weeks after I went vegan and they said yes the sugar is vegan but we use bone char to make it so really they are morons.

So do all of you hardliners avoid bottled water? Municipal water? Home water filters? All commercial beverages that likely use filtered water?

I'm serious, sugar is so highly maligned in vegan circles, yet nobody complains about the water that goes through the same bone char filters.

okay, ive done some reasearch....

Bone char, made from the bones of cows, is at times used to whiten sugar. Some sugar companies use it in filters to decolorize their sugar. Other types of filters involve granular carbon or an ion exchange system rather than bone char.

The following sugar companies DO NOT use bone-char filters:

Florida Crystals Refinery

P.O. Box 86

South Bay, FL 33493

407-996-9072

Labels: Florida Crystals

Refined Sugars Incorporated

One Federal St.

Yonkers, NY 10702

914-963-2400

Labels: Jack Frost, Country Cane, 4# Flow-Sweet

Pillsbury

Makes powdered brown sugar

Supreme Sugar Company (subsidiary of Archer Daniels Midland)

P.O. Box 56009

New Orleans, LA 70156

504-831-0901

Labels: Supreme, Southern Bell, Rouse's Markets

The following sugar companies DO use bone-char filters:

Domino

1114 Ave. of the Americas

25th Fl.

New York, NY 10036

212-789-9700

Savannah Foods

P.O. Box 335

Savannah, GA 31402

912-234-1261

California & Hawaiian Sugar Company (with the exception of its Washed Raw Sugar)

830 Loring Ave.

Crockett, CA 94525-1104

510-787-2121

Supermarket brands of sugar (e.g., Giant, Townhouse, etc.) buy their sugar from several different refineries, so there is no way of knowing whether it is vegan at any given time.

Brown sugar is generally made by adding molasses to refined sugar, so sugar companies that use bone char in the production of their regular sugar will also use it in the production of their brown sugar. Confectioner's sugar (refined sugar mixed with cornstarch) made by such companies also involves the use of bone char. Fructose may, but does not typically involve a bone-char filter.

If you want to avoid all refined sugars, we recommend alternatives such as Sucanat and turbinado sugar. Neither of these sweeteners are ever filtered with bone char. Additionally, beet sugar--though normally refined--never involves the use of bone char.

yes, michaelhobson, it does look like bonechar filters are used in some water filtering....but as we all need water, lobbying for change is porbably the only option. veganism to be me is not about perfection but about avoiding animal suffering when possible.

Water is also refined with standard char...at least the Brita Type filter...also I used to have two turtles that had standard char filters. I'm sure municipal water is filtered with some other means such as electrical current and metal screens for the big stuff. I could imagine using bone char filters would require way too much maintanence

yes, michaelhobson, it does look like bonechar filters are used in some water filtering....but as we all need water, lobbying for change is porbably the only option. veganism to be me is not about perfection but about avoiding animal suffering when possible.

Yes, the standard dismissal of the sugar contradiction. Bone char filtered water can be easily avoided too by using spring water or well water. I just don't see the people who are avoiding sugar making a similar effort for water. Personally, I couldn't care less about either.

Thanks for this thread!! I rarely eat anything in a package anyways, I have had Tofutti Cuties about 3 times in the past year and a half.

So, I am assuming that Soymilk and Almond milk with added cane juice are non-vegan as well, right?

I usually buy Westsoy unsweetened anyways but the almond milk I just get regular.

Thanks again for this thread!