Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Hilary! I'm working on getting back to where the old strength levels were, and fortunately, it's coming back well

Leg day today, back to nearly-full-depth squatting for moderately heavy reps, had a good run with it.

Started off with some just-below-parallel squats for full depth to warm up -

1x10 @ 135

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x2 @ 315

The 365 went up easily, I'm finally getting my groove back to feel solid on setup, which is what I've been hoping for (feeling unstable sucks!)

Now, to the good stuff. Set the pins just 2-3" above parallel so I was going as low as I could without hitting ideal depth, but low enough that no reps were going to be a snap. Loaded up with 315, wanted to do 3x10, but made 3x12 with relative ease. That is, except set 2, where instead of tapping the pins at bottom I released for a second and unweighted the bar, and I lost my groove. Stopped dead. crawled out from the bar, shook myself off and squeezed under it to get that last rep out. 3rd set was the easiest one yet, which was a real surprise. Hoping to get up to the high 300s at this depth for sets of 12 in about 2-3 months, which will show that I'm well on my way to having the power to get close to 500 lbs. again.

Moved the pins back up 6" (2 more notches) and put the weight to 385. Did 3 easy reps, dropped a notch down by 3", did 3 more, dropped down all the way to the just-above-parallel spot from the 315 lb. sets above, nailed 3 without that much trouble. DEFINITELY getting in the groove again!

Finally, moved the pins up one last time to 9" above parallel, put more weight on to be at 455, hit 5 reps with that and felt good, but those took out most of what I had left. I'd wanted to do a set of 20 with 225 afterward, but my legs were not having it, so that was it for squatting.

Went to the horizontal leg press, did 3 ballistic presses with 200 lbs. (half the stack) where on each set of 10, I was pushing hard enough to get air off of the platform by a few inches. Those finished me off, called it a day and that was it.

Feeling good, feeling stronger again, keeping the focus on getting that squat and deadlift over 500 by year's end!

Saturday should be some upper back and maybe even *gasp* arm work, we'll see how it goes!

If I can inspire someone's squatting, then my mission is complete

Had 2 days off, opted to scrap the upper back day and just go straight to lower back and shoulders.

Hang power snatch -

1x10 @ empty bar

1x8 @ 95

1x5 @ 115

1x5 @ 135

Standing BB strict overhead presses -

2x3 @ 135

1x3 @ 255

1x3 @ 175

2x3 @ 205

Felt better at 205 than last time, but still not great. Not sure why my shoulders are the one thing that's fighthing getting back to the old strength levels when everything else seems to want to cooperate

3x6 @ 175 to finish them off

Deadlifts from floor -

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

10x2 @ 365

Played around with my stance a bit, foud that while for a bit I was feeling more comfortable going shoulder-width, I ended up feeling best agani with a narrow stance. All sets good, felt easy, back is finally getting to where it doesn't feel like blowing out at a moment's notice like it did last fall after the repeated injuries.

Seated overhead press lockouts, from about 2" above head on up -

3x10 @ 185

Nothing heavy, just did a narrower grip to work the triceps a bit more and that was it.

Seated Good Mornings in the rack to about 3" above parallel -

1x10 @ 135

1x10 @ 185

1x10 @ 225

Standing Good Mornings to about 3" above parallel -

1x20 @ 225

1x20 @ 275

Felt good with those GMs, back is feeling decent, taking a day off, will do upper back work when I return!

Took a stretch off as I had a REALLY stressful 5 days or so (land deal on the location for a new eco-friendly home we'd hoped to build on in 2 years fell through ), so I took a stretch to eat everything in sight, rest more and calm myself down. Finally felt back to normal today, hit it up for some legs and chest -

Full squats to just below parallel -

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 385

1x2 @ 315

Next, full squats to below parallel, rest bar on pins at bottom or rack for a 5 count before rising -

3x2 @ 315

Felt solid on each one, kept tight, which is a good sign for how the day will go from that time on.

Did some incline benching in between -

1x12 @ 115

1x5 @ 165

1x5 @ 195

1x3 @ 215

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 235

3x12 @ 165

Felt pretty good after not doing any for quite a while, dropped to flat benching for some mixed sets -

2x12 close-grip @ 165

2x12 wide grip @ 165

2x20 medium grip @ 115

Chest and triceps fried after those, back to squatting!

2/3 squats in the rack, done about 8" above parallel -

1x3 @ 405

1x3 @ 430

1x3 @ 455

Felt okay, but wasn't getting in the groove too well for some reason, opted to do some 1/3 squats instead, going heavy.

Set the pins to about 8" from bottom to lockout at top, all sets starting at bottom, no belt, just some knee warmer sleeves and that's it -

1x5 @ 500

1x2 @ 550, hold for 10 seconds at top of each rep

1x1 @ 600, hold for 10 seconds at top of rep

1x1 @ 650, " "

1x1 @ 700, " "

Dropped the weight, went for some repping out sets to finish -

1x25 @ 500

1x20 @ 600 lbs.

Both sets were just tapping the pins lightly on each rep, but it still kills after so much volume. Don't think I've done 600 for so many reps before, felt good, hoping to hit that with 700+ in a few months.

Feel like a brick wall after that workout. Anything where I put a crapload of weight on my back and support it for a while makes me feel good and strong, so I'll be chipping away at some bigger partial squat numbers to get my core strong and my confidence back up with heavy movements. Tomorrow off for sure, maybe Saturday as well, will be doing upper back this weeked sometime!

you were probably as solid as a brick wall after that workout too! Amazing numbers. I would love to know that feeling again of putting all that weight on your back and dropping down. I remember once, when i cut down and i tried to handle heavy 1/2 squats again and i lifted the bar off and before i even got a chance to go down, the bar fly off me and hurled itself behind me crashing onto the safety bars and causing the loudest thud the gym ever heard. I think it was between 680-770lbs. Also, just unracking the weight was a project and a workout. And I had a spot to help me get the weight back on the resting sleeves or whatever you call them as that was a struggle as well. But there is no better feeling.

A couple of questions, when you go super heavy on deadlifts (which is just about all the time =D ), is it always raw or do you ever use straps? Do you hold back from going heavier because your grip isn't there yet even though the rest of your body can handle it? Just curious. After around 285lb, I cannot support the barbell for reps but I go as heavy as 405lb right now with straps so I can reap the benefit of lifting heavier for the rest of my body.

Also, What is the best recommended way to train to lift the 135lb loaded olympic bbell above your head like you did? Just the oa dumbells? After seeing your pic, I have to lift the bar above my head with one arm at least once a week otherwise (in the words of fellow brooklynite and bensonhurst native, Lou Ferrigno) i'm not satisfied!!!

Hey, Lean and Green!

I'm sure it won't be that long before you're putting some big weights on your back again. I thought it would be longer for myself with all the ups and downs over the past year or so, but it's finally starting to come back well enough again. I hear you on the crashing down on weights - I've been lucky on squats, but I once dumped an attempted 300 lb. overhead press that fell about 2 full feet on to the safety pins, and the sound made everyone in the gym stop what they were doing to see what the heck happened.

For deadlifts, I might use straps for doing high-rep partial deadlifts, but for regular off the floor, I just use a bit of chalk and a reverse grip and that's worked well for me. When I start getting my deadlift back up again I'll have to re-train my grip so that it doesn't give out on me, but for now, it seems to be well enough. I'm holding back on going heavier for a while since my lower back takes a LONG time to get into shape after a deadlift layoff. After hurting my back a few years ago I have to be careful to get into things slowly again - even when the rest of my body feels good for it, the back needs extra time to get used to the pull, so that's why I'm staying under 405 lbs. for DLs until the end of June. Once I work up to getting 405 for sets of 5 or more again, then it's pretty hard to hurt my back, but getting to that point is what takes time since I have to be cautious.

For the 1-arm overhead press, if you've got heavy dumbbells they'll get you most of the way there, with the barbell it's just a matter of learning to keep it balanced and getting the proper racked position when you clean it to your shoulder. I can get the right arm racked well every time, left arm doesn't fall into the right position, so getting set up for the press can be tricky enough. I'd also recommend using a full-size bar every so often and practicing with it with light to moderate weight just to get the feel down, then as you get to nailing the weight with a DB, work your way up with the full bar until it clicks. It's just practice to get it done, but definitely fun to play around with

Hey to you, too, Robert! Hopefully we will get to meet up this summer - Madison isn't far from here (about 50-60 minutes drive due west), so if you make it out this way, be sure to let me know. Troy, being in Wisconsin Dells, is about an equal distance north of Madison, so we're both fairly close to that area. Keep me posted if you come out this way!

you were probably as solid as a brick wall after that workout too! Amazing numbers. I would love to know that feeling again of putting all that weight on your back and dropping down. I remember once, when i cut down and i tried to handle heavy 1/2 squats again and i lifted the bar off and before i even got a chance to go down, the bar fly off me and hurled itself behind me crashing onto the safety bars and causing the loudest thud the gym ever heard. I think it was between 680-770lbs. Also, just unracking the weight was a project and a workout. And I had a spot to help me get the weight back on the resting sleeves or whatever you call them as that was a struggle as well. But there is no better feeling.

A couple of questions, when you go super heavy on deadlifts (which is just about all the time =D ), is it always raw or do you ever use straps? Do you hold back from going heavier because your grip isn't there yet even though the rest of your body can handle it? Just curious. After around 285lb, I cannot support the barbell for reps but I go as heavy as 405lb right now with straps so I can reap the benefit of lifting heavier for the rest of my body.

Also, What is the best recommended way to train to lift the 135lb loaded olympic bbell above your head like you did? Just the oa dumbells? After seeing your pic, I have to lift the bar above my head with one arm at least once a week otherwise (in the words of fellow brooklynite and bensonhurst native, Lou Ferrigno) i'm not satisfied!!!

Short session today for upper back.

Started out with some 1-arm rows using the EZ Curl bar since the DBs only go up to 100 -

1x5 @ 80 lbs. each arm

1x5 @ 120 lbs. " "

1x5 @ 150 lbs. " "

1x5 @ 160 lbs. " "

1x5 @ 175 lbs. " "

Next, barbell shrugs -

1x20 @ 225

1x20 @ 315

1x10 @ 365 - felt something funny, stopped there, realized I tweaked a muscle a little (something small just under the rear of the ribcage in back), so no more shrugging Was looking forward to going heavier, too!

Decided to make it quick at that point, just a few last things. Started with rows using the dual cable stack setup and bar that can be put between them -

1x20 @ 160

1x20 @ 170

1x20 @ 180

1x20 @ 190

1x20 @ 160

In between, I did some reverse shrugs with the bar setup, bar overhead, shrugging downward into myself on each rep -

4x20 @ 180 lbs.

That was it - cut it short due to the small injury, but I've had them before and they're gone in a day or two, so it won't be long. Gotta get back to being 100% for deadlifting in a few days!

Took a day off, back is a bit better in the tweaked area (I'm sure it'll be normal within a week - I've had this in the past), so I took it "easy" with a light shoulders/deadlift workout tonight.

Standing overhead BB press, each rep strict, down to collar for a pause between reps -

1x20 @ empty bar

1x10 @ 95

1x10 @ 135

1x10 @ 140

1x10 @ 145

1x10 @ 150

1x10 @ 155

4x10 @ 135

For some reason, I felt it ALL in my shoulders tonight, no triceps soreness at all. It was one of those days where it hurt to do anything but lean forward and let my arms dangle down - I suppose that's a good thing

Next, some light Romanian Deadlifts since they didn't aggravate my sore spot -

3x20 @ 250 lbs.

Very winded, but not at all sore from them. Just tiring and caused me to lose my breath completely by the end.

In between, did 3 sets of lean-away lateral raises on the cable machine -

3x12 @ 22.5 lbs. each arm

Moved back to deadlift-y stuff, got down with the weird horizontal cable/bar thing I worked with last time, but this time, I put some extra plates out for "standing" on so that I was deadlifting from a defeceit of about 4.5", so the bar was basically just an inch over my toes at the start of each rep.

3x30 @ 220 lbs. (max stack and all the fitted extra weight I could find today, some of them vanished)

Hurt like hell because the low setup was making it tough to keep my breath on the reps, felt like a 300 lb. man was standing on my chest by the end.

Decided to do one more, going the distance for endurance work. Kept the weight the same, took 3 plates off to put the bar at normal deadlift height, strapped up and went at it.

1x101(!) @ 220 lbs.

NOT a fun set. Did 40, took a few breaths, then did the rest in 15s and 10s with about 5 quick breaths at intervals. I will say, it's nowhere near as tough or exhausting as doing deadlifts with a real bar setup, but it still taxes the lower back and hamstrings a bit and works the endurance like crazy.

Wrapped up with one final set of 2-handled cable overhead presses, did 1x40 with the blue cable, which is something like 20 lbs. at bottom and around 40ish at top. Fried and beaten down, that's it for today, will go for a good walk tomorrow to get back on that track again, lifting again in 2 days!

Okay, I folded and signed up back at Ballys again - the deal was too good to pass up, only $89 for a full year, so even if I just go a few times per month it's well worth it. I've been getting bored of my 24-hour gym for lack of variety, and I always seem to be more motivated at Ballys since I'm not training alone the entire time, so I figure that at least on upper back days and some leg days I'll be there for it for a change of pace.

Upper back and chest/triceps day today, felt like a kid in a candy store with different equipment, and somehow, everything always feels lighter at Ballys even though they're all new DBs and plates

DB rows -

4x12 each arm @ 120 lbs.

Felt easy except that I was really winded. Want to work back up to sets of 20 again, that's the 2 month plan.

Close-grip BB bench -

1x10 @ 135

1x5 @ 185

5x3 @ 225, 2 second pause on chest for each rep

2x20 @ 135

Hammer Strength plate-loaded pulldowns -

1x10 @ 180

1x6 @ 270

1x3 @ 320

Felt WAY harder than I remember - used to be able to knock out 6-8 with 320, no way I could do it now. Need to get used to that thing again, since it's one of the only pulldown machines that I actually like

Seated V-bar row -

2x20 @ 180

Horizontal bench machine close-grip palms-in presses -

2x20 @ 130

Seated wide-grip row -

1x30 @ 150

Lying DB triceps extensions -

1x20 @ 35 each arm

Wide-grip pulldowns -

1x20 @ 140

Just a fun time, didn't rest much at all so felt like I busting myself pretty hard since I had to pack what I'd usually do in around 60 minutes into about 50 since I have to live with a closing time at Ballys. Nevertheless, felt good, pain in my back is fading more and didn't bother my lifting at all, should be good for leg day in 1-2 days!

Upper back and chest/triceps day today, felt like a kid in a candy store with different equipment, and somehow, everything always feels lighter at Ballys even though they're all new DBs and plates

I've experienced that too. For some reason a new environment just makes everything feel easier. I don't think we have Ballys here abouts in Northern California, is it a chain gym like 24 Hour Fitness or something a little better?

- Eric

Hey, Eric!

Bally Total Fitness (formerly known as Vic Tanny) WAS at one point the nation's largest chain of gyms, but I think that over the past decade with their massive financial woes they've closed a lot of locations. On their map there's a handful of central CA and plenty of southern CA locations, but nothing in the north. There's plenty of them around my area, I think that all 5 are within 40 minutes' drive of where I am, but they seem to stick to certain areas of the country for concentration.

Basically, they're a pretty no-frills gym that usually has lots of equipment (much of it decent stuff, except for the decision of the one I go to where they changed all round plates to the octagonal ones a few years back ) Depending on who the manager of the month is, things can be good or bad, but usually it's decent. Reasonable dues, particularly if you signed up 10+ years ago like I did (some people like my sister pay $5/month from being members back in the 80s - you get some weird lifetime rates if you signed up a long time ago), but during peak hours, it's a madhouse. Needless to say, I go about 60-80 minutes before closing time, since I'm not there to socialize or wait 5 minutes to share equipment with a guy doing curls in the squat rack

I've experienced that too. For some reason a new environment just makes everything feel easier. I don't think we have Ballys here abouts in Northern California, is it a chain gym like 24 Hour Fitness or something a little better?

- Eric

Don't quite know why, but that pain in the rear side of my back was extra-irritating today after waking up, which affected lifting considerably since it was leg day.

Started with squats -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

Just didn't feel good with the back problem, stopped with heavier stuff there, changed to some box squats for a few last sets (all touch-and-go to parallel)

1x10 @ 315

1x20 @ 250

Hit a 25 lb. PR on the 20 rep set, felt good for more, may stick with those again for a few weeks while the back heals up.

Incline barbell bench -

1x5 @ 105

1x5 @ 165

3x5 @ 200

Flat barbell bench -

3x10 @ 200

1x20 @ 165

1x30 @ 105

Did some overhead reverse shrugs (strapped in to the cable handles set at the highest spot, sat down, shrugged downward)

3x25 @ 190 lbs, which is all I could manage before it was tough to keep myself from lifting up, despite having another 70 lbs. on the weight stack.

Finally, had some fun with table-top curls, using the 3" thick foam pad at my gym set over a bench. Had read an old article with some arm wrestling strength stuff and about how a lot of competitors train with table-top curls (like a flat-top concentration curl, which works 90 degrees at most to the finish), so I gave them a go.

1x10 @ 45 each arm - way too easy

1x10 @ 65 " " - getting fairly hard, had to lever my torso back a bit to get the last few done

1x3 @ 80 " " - Going up to an 80 lb. DB got REALLY tough, only managed a few before it was over and done. Felt cool to do a partial rep with a nice heavy DB, but sad when I went back and re-read how there were some strong arm wrestlers who were doing 150-200+ lbs. in that type of curl, and suddenly I felt weak

That was it, cut it short due to the back being irritated, might just take the rest of the week to do some cardio stuff, eat clean and heal up, despite being fired up to deadlift again. We'll see how things go later this week.

Back pain still irritating me, but being thick-headed, I decided to work through it like a good soldier does

Shoulders and back day at the old gym with better equipment.

Started with standing strict overhead presses -

1x10 @ empty bar

1x5 @ 135

3x2 @ 185

2x5 @ 185

1x5 @ 195

I don't know why, but for some reason I just have much better luck with overhead presses at this gym. The rings on the bar are perfectly aligned for my ideal grip, the unracking seems more comfortable...little things, but they do add up. I found it tough for 5 reps with 175 at my 24 hour gym just a short while ago, but here I hit some for 185 and 195 much easier? Weird, but I'll take it

Moved next to DB rows -

3x15 @ 120 lbs. each arm

Endurance held out better, working my way back up to 20s. Once I get there, I'm buying some magnetic 5 and 10 lb. plates so I can add some challenge to it and chase some good sets with a 150 lb. DB in the future.

Standing 1-arm DB shoulder press -

1x12 @ 75, went much easier than expected

1x15 @ 65, that one took some grinding out

Pulldowns, very wide grip -

1x12 @ 200 followed with 1x10 @ 130

1x20 @ 170

Not so great with pulldowns these days, but I'll work my way back up again. Back too sore for my favorite Hammer Strength plate-loaded pulldown machine, but give me a week or two.

Seated row, fairly wide bar w/bar that has handles facing inward toward each other -

1x12 @ 230 followed by 1x8 @ 150

1x20 @ 190

Changed to single handle for 1-arm seated cable rows to wrap it up.

1x30 @ 90 lbs. each arm

That was it - I'm just so much more efficient at the old gym with having a time limit, my workouts definitely feel better. Wish the back was good so I could squat and DL normally again, but if I don't feel at least 50% better after the weekend, I will take a week off to recover more.

That's it, done in 50 minutes, good to go. Tomorrow off, will do some sort of lower back work on Thursday, not sure what will feel good on the back but I'll worry about that when the day comes!

I guess I should probably change the title of the log since strongman training will pretty well be out for a year or so while I get the eye situation under control It's pretty much just been 5 months of "maintain strength as best as possible while dropping fat slowly" moreso than anything else, still working to get down to around 250 by summer's end.

I love, love, LOVE heavy low-rep training most since I made both my best size and strength gains from it over the past few years, but now since I can't go for any 1-rep maxes or do anything so heavy where I might hold my breath and jeopardize my vision more, that's why you'll see a lot more high-rep stuff mixed in there. That, and my endurance has been absolute crap for years from only doing 1-6 reps on most lifts, so it was a necessary change for a bit so I don't end up gasping for air after climbing a flight of stairs

If things continue to hold up well on my vision, I hope to finally get back to strongman event training next year. First, just going to be working on getting the squat over 500 and DL over 545 to get to where I feel strong again, if that works out well, I'll be competing again in 2009!

Thanks, Hilary!

Took a hiatus to let my back pain heal, got much better (about 80%), so tomorrow I try overhead presses and squats to work back in and see how well it's come along.

Got the news on Friday that my eye doc wants another round of injections, looks like next Wednesday I'll be back in for it and forced to take another 4 days off afterward. Nothing I can do, but no more leaking blood vessels for 6 months so far, so I'm not going to question his opinion on wanting to do treatment again. So, 9 days to squeeze in all the training I can, starting up tomorrow!

Good luck on thoroughly thrashing your body over the next nine days!

I couldn't imagine getting injections into my eye. Is it hard to keep your eye still while the shot is being done?

Thanks - hope to break myself as best as I can before the next short layoff

I take a good dose of tranquilizers before I go in for treatment, and I get dose after dose of numbing agents in my eye before they do it. Basically, after it all settles in, you're told to look up and to the right as much as possible, and you see the needle coming in a bit, but it goes really fast so you barely really notice (or care, after the tranquilizers kick in ) Still a bit freaky even going into my 7th round of treatments, but all in all, it is about 5 seconds of semi-irritating pain and it's all over. Now, getting betadine in your eye from what they have to do to sterilize the surrounding area...THAT'S the part I REALLY hate! Imagine spending about 8-10 hours feeling like someone just raked their fingernails over your eye - NOT fun stuff at all when it happens and after the numbing agents wear off. That's happend about 50% of the time, and is the one thing I really, really dread. I usually tranquilize myself a 2nd time after the treatment is over, nap for about 5-6 hours, and by the time I come to it barely hurts any longer, so long as things went smoothly beforehand.

You get kind of used to the whole thing after a few times, but I certainly wouldn't wish it on anyone who didn't need to have it done for a damned good reason!

I guess being all doped-up on tranquilizers would make it a bit more tolerable. Also, it gives you something manly to say: "I take shots in my freaking eyeballs!"

Yeah, the tranquilizers do help to make things more tolerable No question about it - I'd be nervous as hell if I had to go in without anything to keep me calm!

Leg and shoulders day today, way too quick since I messed up and got to Bally's late with only 40 minutes total to lift.

Squats -

1x5 @ 135

2x5 @ 225, all reps paused at rock bottom about 4-5" below parallel

1x3 @ 315, paused below parallel each rep

1x1 @ 365, just to parallel

1x1 @ 405, just to parallel, very easy compared to last time I went to 405

1xfail @ 425 - hit parallel, and my mind just wandered, no idea why. It was one of those where I didn't feel like I was even trying, just nudged up on the bar and kinda gave up in a stupid way. I think I was still flustered from knowing how late I was in getting to lift

2x5 @ 315, paused rock bottom well below parallel, feeling very strong again with those

Standing overhead strict presses -

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x3 @ 205

1x2 @ 225

1x1 @ 235 - just nudged my knees at the start, didn't really push press but wasn't completely still at the start of the press

1x5 @ 205

Feeling MUCH stronger on overhead work again, fact that I did a double with 225 was very nice since I failed last time for a single. Working that way back up to a set of 5 @ 225 again!

Hang power snatch -

2x3 @ 135

Power snatch from floor -

2x3 @ 135

1-arm standing DB press, slight side lean -

1x10 @ 100 lb. DB each arm

1x12 @ 80 lb. DB each arm

Felt really good with these, definitely happy with the shoulder strength coming back. I think that doing more triceps work is helping, just as it is that I'm not doing as much volume as I was a while ago.

That was it for today, just a short session, upper back and chest day in 2!