Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

Quick back workout tonight instead of tomorrow, since we're planning a picnic if it's nice out and I didn't want lifting to interfere

Snatch grip high pulls in the rack from mid-thigh height to mid-chest -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 185

1x5 @ 225

1x5 @ 275, didn't get those pulls more than a few inches above navel height, wasn't in a good groove

Wide-grip pulldowns -

1x10 @ 180

1x10 @ 210

1x10 @ 240

1x5 @ 270, not pulled in as far as I'd hoped (about 3" shy of touching top of chest), followed immediately by 1x10 @ 180 done properly. I never usually go heavy on pulldowns, but I'm going to be working them for a month or two every back workout to get my pulling strength better in that plane of motion since I'm only fairly strong with rowing and that's about it.

Barbell Hise shrugs in the rack -

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 495

1x10 @ 565

Palms-in wide grip pulldowns -

2x15 @ 180

Seated DB hammer curls -

2x10 @ 55 lb. DBs

That was it, done in 40 minutes, came home and wanted to do a bit more -

DB rows, 2" thick handle dumbbell -

2x20 each arm @ 95 lbs.

Felt good, but I can tell my grip needs work again!

Barbell curls, empty bar, 1x50 to finish up

That's all for today, a good abbreviated training session where I felt like I accomplished all I needed to. Going back to the old gym has been very motivating, so hopefully spending most of the summer there will be a good thing for progress.

Starting to work on eating clean as can be again next week after a month of being all over the place and having too much junk, working to keep weight down and work to hit 255 before I go on a camping trip in July. Lower back workout on Thursday, will post afterward!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast chest/triceps and lower back workout tonight -

Good Mornings in the power rack to about 2" above parallel with floor -

1x10 @ 135

1x10 @ 225

1x10 @ 275

1x5 @ 315

1x5 @ 365

1x15 @ 315

1x20 @ 225

Worked up to the 365, which didn't feel terrible, but it did let me know that I need to spend more time working my way back up to the 400s again, might take me another few months but I'll get there.

Close-grip flat BB bench -

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

10x2 @ 230, 1-2 second pause on chest each rep

1x20 @ 155, touch-and-go, no pause

Wrapped them up with a set of 21s close-grip, 7 with a half rep off the chest, 7 from halfway up to lockout, then 7 full reps. That one hurt nicely at the end

Cable pull-throughs -

2x20 @ 145

Back extension machine -

2x35 @ full stack

Got bored after 35 on each, figured that was good enough.

Came back to the office, did 3x20 diamond push-ups to hammer the triceps a bit more, then went home to do some wrist work on the Formulator (weird kind of wrist curl device - I'll get a pic of it sometime). Went light on the wrist curls, just 3x20 @ 20 lbs., but I will say, 20 lbs. on the Formulator feels like 135 lbs. or so on a bar. MUCH harder, since the weight sticks out away from you and needs more work to get moving.

That's it, just a quick 45 minutes at the gym and a bit back here, tomorrow off, will get some more upper back work in this weekend!

Also, started the "no eating crap" phase for the next month to work down about 3-4 lbs. more if things move as usual. It won't be fun since I've had insane cravings for junk food lately, but after a few days I should feel better about being on a clean eating program.

Nice work with the good mornings, I am scared shitless of them. I have never attempted them.

Do you still do any grip work at all? I know you said in another thread how you stopped focusing so much on it and I haven't noticed any grip work in your log recently. I tend to need it to allow me to deadlift the rest of my body into submission before my hands give out.

Yeh man those good morning numbers are massive! I've been slacking on the heavy a** weights with the good mornings. After I do my 8 sets of deadlifts, I go to them and don't give my all. Reading your figs makes me want to go right at it on them. Thanks for that!

Cubby they are such a great exercise; you really have to get to doing them, just start off light....

Cubby - I haven't done much grip work in a long time, but I'm going to start doing more on my non-gym days (at least, the ones where I won't be doing deadlifts the following day where I need to have my hands at their best!) I did some thick-bar DB rows the other day, which felt good, and some wrist work tonight, and I plan on getting into some pinch grip stuff again soon as well. I used to be able to grab a pair of 35s smooth side out and hold them for nearly 20 seconds pinched, now I can't even get them off of the ground. If there's one thing I want to do some time, it's pinch a pair of 45s and get them fully off the ground, but that one is a way off Like LeanAndGreen said, Good Mornings are a great exercise, but definitely start into them slowly. I've always done them where I tap them off the pins in the rack, so that if I feel the need to bail out, I can never go any lower than I plan on before being able to ditch the bar. Just go light and do high reps until your lower back gets used to them, ride the bar a bit lower down your back so it is resting on your lower trap shelf, throw your butt back and bend the knees just a bit, and smash the weight back up by squeezing your butt and pushing your hips forward hard. I think that most people get hurt when they think of GMs like doing a weighted hyperextension and use all back, when it should be that the back is doing mostly support (and the start of the momentum to get back up from bottom position) and doesn't need to be where all the focus is. Once the hips and glutes kick in, then it's all good. They really are a great exercise, and when my GM gets strong, my squat follows afterward, since if you can get out from 400+ lbs. bent over to a hard angle, you don't have to worry about not being stable enough to have a squat pin you forward

And thanks for the kind words, LeanAndGreen - I'm working on getting my GM back up, and in a few months I should be hitting some good reps in the 400+ lb. range confidently. I believe that I did a double at 455 about 2 years ago for my best and planned on working up to 500, but never quite got there. All in due time, though!

I'm seriously consider a trip out to see you and Troy this summer. One of my all time best friends is spending the summer in Madison....my friend Jordan, the guy who got me into bodybuilding in the first place. Today I had dinner with him before he left....I'm thinking of visiting him and seeing some of you guys too.

I'll keep you posted!

Hey, Robert! If you get the chance to come out this way, definitely keep me posted. I think I mentioned before, I'll be in town most of the summer, so hopefully we'll get a chance to meet up!

Cubby - I don't think you'd have to do GMs separately from RDLs by any means. I'd just make sure that if you go heavy on the RDLs, put the GMs at the end, and vice-versa while you're getting used to them. They're pretty brutal the first month, so just find a place where they'll fit in either as a finisher or the focus if you're wanting to go heavy with them and that'll do it!

Getting closer to Wednesday's eye injection fun, making the most of what I've got until then

Upper back and shoulders today -

Started at Ballys, didn't have a lot of time before they closed at 7 but did what I could -

Standing strict BB overhead presses -

2x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x2 @ 205

Didn't feel much like presses to the front today, decided to do some moderately heavy behind the neck power jerks and push presses instead from this point -

1x3 @ 205 power jerked

1x3 @ 225 " "

1x3 @ 235 " "

1x3 @ 245 " "

1x10 @ 205 push press first 8, power jerk the last 2

All sets felt easy, which was nice, didn't feel even close to a max with the 245, may have been good for 270ish if I'd wanted to push it. But, there'll be time for that later...

Moved next to some wide-grip pulldowns -

1x15 @ 200

1x5 @ 270

1x4 @ 290 - couldn't get the bar to collar, about 3" away, but still, getting better!

1x20 @ 200

1-arm rows next -

1x5 each arm @ 120 lb. DB

1x5 " " @ 150 lb. EZ curl bar since no DBs above 120

1x4 " " @ 175 lb. " "

Felt good, grip gave out at the last second with the final left-handed rep, almost dropped it but didn't lose it until it almost hit the floor. Found that straps don't work well on the EZ bar, and hook grip is way tough to keep it balanced properly, so it's all about standard grip strength to keep it steady.

Seated overhead press lockouts on the Smith machine, one of the few good uses for a short-range movement of about 6" to complete lockout -

1x10 @ 180

1x10 @ 270

1x10 @ 320

That's when I heard the dreaded closing time call, but I didn't want to wrap up yet. Drove the 7 minutes to get to gym #2 to finish things -

Cable seated row w/3' bar attachment -

1x20 @ 180

1x20 @ 200

1x12 @ 240, followed by 1x10 @ 160 immediately afteward

Seated behind-the-neck strict overhead BB presses -

3x10 @ 115

Cable face pulls from varying heights -

1x20 @ 65

1x20 @ 75

1x20 @ 85

1x20 @ 65

Blue 2-handled cable rows w/ band stretched around machine, sitting reversed on an incline bench about 12' away -

2x20 each arm

Wrapped up with 2 sets of reverse flyes on the pec deck, and that was it, I was fried.

Tomorrow or Tuesday for squats, one last workout before the 5-day layoff!

Not a great lifting day for my last entry before the break.

Wanted to get a good leg day in, but short on time and stressed today didn't make it end up all that well.

Full rock-bottom squats to warm up -

1x8 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

Moved on to 1/2 squats in the rack -

1x5 @ 405

1x5 @ 495

1x3 @ 585

1x2 @ 635

Just wasn't feeling it, stopped the partials and went back to good old full squats -

1xfail at 405 - hit bottom, felt my knee warmer slip and threw me off. Got mad, went back again -

1x3 @ 405

1x2 @ 405

None of the reps felt great, even though I haven't done more than a single at 405 in a long time. I guess it's a small victory, but I aim to be hitting easy sets of 5 with that weight in about 2 months, so I need to bring it with everything I've got once my eye is healed and I can lift again

Did 2 sets on the plate-loaded squat machine, 1x12 @ 360 and 1x10 easy @ 270 just to get a few last things in, called it a day early, figured I'll get back in the groove next week.

Tomorrow is one last pre-surgery rest day, then 4-5 days off to recover during the period where I'm susceptible to infection, but once that's over I'll be back at it again, will post once things are normal next week!

Didn't go in for my treatments today due to circumstances beyond my control, probably will go in around 2 weeks from now so I have a bit more training time before it comes.

Did some chest/triceps and shrug work today for fun -

Close-grip barbell bench, hands about 18" apart -

1x10 @ 135

1x5 @ 185

3x5 @ 225, felt easier than expected

1x20 @ 135

Hise Shrugs in the rack -

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 495

1x10 @ 565

1x20 @ 405

Palms-in DB Benching -

2x12 @ 90 lb. DBs

Behind-the-back BB shrugs in the rack -

1x20 @ 315

1x20 @ 385

1x10 @ 435

1x30 @ 315

Felt much easier than usual, which was nice.

Hammer Strength plate-loaded incline press -

1x12 @ 230

1x8 @ 270

Reverse dips (shrug upward on dip bar handles) -

2x30 @ bodyweight

Seated DB strict hammer curls -

1x5 @ 55s

1x5 @ 60s

1x4 @ 65s - would have had to cheat the last rep, stopped at 4

That was it, quick workout, will go back for some lower back work in a few days!

No lifting, but went for a 40 min. walk to get some cardio in for the day. Weighed in this morning, came in at a new low of 257 lbs., getting closer to my goal of a clean-eating 250 to get rid of some of the crud weight that's plagued me for the past few years.

Working my way down, goal is to get back my strength from weighing 280ish but at 30 lbs. lighter!

Two days of lifting to post about!

Yesterday was deadlift day, just doing them after a while of being away. Just simple 'ol deadlifts off the floor, doubles and working up in weight -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x2 @ 315, 325, 335, 345, 355, 365, 375, 385, 395, 405

Between sets, did some reverse shrugs on the pulldown setup -

4x20 @ 220 lbs. (full stack)

That was it, kept it short and sweet just to feel out deadlifts again, will start going over 400 soon come July since they're feeling better.

Tonight, upper back work -

High pulls in the power rack from a few inches above knee height -

1x10 @ 135

3x10 @ 185, all sets pulled to mid chest height

Pull-ups -

50 reps total in about 25 minutes, done as follows: 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1

A new PR for total reps, felt good for most, but the last 10 or so were probably not as good as they could have been.

Plate-loaded Hammer Strength row -

1x12 @ 360 lbs. low handle, pronated grip

1x20 @ 360 lbs. high handle, pronated grip

1x20 @ 270 lbs. low handle, pronated grip

Straight-bar cable rows -

3x20 @ 180 lbs.

Finished with some concentration curls on the back of an incline bench, just 2 sets for each arm with a 35 lb. DB, 15 reps each.

Good back day, fried as can be, tomorrow is off to go for a nice walk and Tuesday will be marathon squat day to grease the groove. Goal is 100 total reps @ 335 lbs., done in sets of 3-5 each for as long as it takes. Will be back to report when it is done!

Leg day today!

I screwed up in getting to the gym late, so the 100 rep squat challenge didn't happen as planned. Still, had a pretty solid workout anyhow.

Squats -

1x5 @ 135

2x3 @ 225

1x1 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

Then, I made sure to get 50 total reps in with 335 lbs., first a set of 5, then 3s until it was all over with. I was pretty beat, did it in 30 minutes but with how tired I was getting, I'd have needed at least 40 minutes more to crank out the remaining sets to reach 100 (my rest periods would have soon gone from 60 seconds between sets to 90 seconds or more.) Still, felt good about it, then moved on.

Tried something new in the last 15 minutes I had left until closing - I did some isometric holds in the power rack, squatting up against the pins set at different heights. I started about 3" above parallel, and increased the height by 3" until I was just short of lockout. Each set was about 5 seconds of all-out pushing up against the pins, done 3 times for each set (about 5 seconds rest between each push). Afteward, I could barely move - my legs were jelly, so I waddled my way to the lying leg curl station and did one last set of 20 reps at 170 lbs. and I was done.

Will be doing upper back and shoulders in a day or two, will post more then!

Wanted to get a workout out of the way today to have a few free days, but it didn't end up that great (note to self, no workouts the day following leg day!)

Overhead standing strict presses -

Not bothering with weight totals, went up to 225 for a single but didn't feel good, stopped there.

DB rows -

2x20 each arm @ 120 lb. DB

Went decent, but I had sweat dripping off me like a waterfall by the last rep. WAY too sweaty and exhausted today.

Pulldowns, very wide grip -

2x6 @ 255 followed immediately by 8 reps @ 170 after the 6th @ 255 for each set

Decent, but not feeling as strong as I should have.

Hammer Strength plate-loaded low row -

1x20 @ 300 lbs.

Seated v-bar row -

1x15 @ 215 lbs.

Icarian horizontal row machine -

1x20 @ 160 lbs.

That was it for me, not a great day but got in my 2nd round of obligatory upper back work and dumped shoulders early. Taking off until Saturday or Sunday, will come back stronger then. I think that my lack of eating has been hurting me - I've had a hard time getting in enough calories, and while it's been nice to lose about 6 lbs. in the past 2 weeks, I need to slow it down a bit and go for my original plan of 4 lbs. per month to keep strength up without feeling too run down. Will change that up soon!

Took a few days off to recover but have continued to eat clean, weight came in at 256.5 for a new low marking, but strength is keeping on so that tells me I'm actually doing things correctly

Deadlift endurance day and some chest/triceps work -

Close-grip flat bench, hands about 18" apart -

3x8 @ 205, first 6 reps touch-and-go, last 2 were dead stop on chest with a 3-5 second pause before completing them. Felt decent.

Wide-grip flat bench, just some light endurance stuff -

1x20 @ 165

1x18 @ 175 (couldn't get those last 2 )

1x25 @ 105

Deadlift day of doom - 101 total reps @ 315 lbs., done in an hour in sets of 5, 6 and 8 until they were all done. No recollection of how I patterned it - basically, I'd do a few 5s and 6s, when I felt good I'd do 8, then back down lower for a few to rest up a bit. Felt great until I hit the mid 80s, the last 15 or so reps were all tough to get done with because I was flat-out beat.

That was it, just took care of those things and will hit up one last leg day on Monday before my re-scheduled eye surgery, will post when I'm done!

Two days off, yesterday was spent in the sun all day and took its toll on me (feeling weak today, totally sunburned face and arms), so instead of having one last all-out leg day, I opted to just have fun and do different stuff in the gym tonight since the next 5 days are off to recover from eye surgery tomorrow.

Started with squats to test the waters, and as I confirmed, I was not on the ball today. Worked up to a few singles @ 405 lbs., stopped there since they just didn't feel strong. Moved on to the fun stuff next!

Hang power snatch - 3x2 @ 135

Overhead barbell lockout and walks (clean and press overhead, walk with weight at full extended as if finishing an overhead press), for about 150 feet, drop bar behind me to upper back, then do 3 short sprints with weight on my back (about 30 feet each). Did 3 sets of these with 135, definitely winded me pretty good.

Deadlift and carry (standard conventional deadlift, walk with bar held at lockout) - did 3 sets of walks with 315 lbs., each set about 30 feet, turn, come back again. Not hard at all, but haven't done these in ages so I wanted to go light. Used to do them for around 80-100 feet with 405, will eventually get back up there again.

Hammer Strength plate-loaded row horizontal shrugs (shrug back instead of rowing the weight) - 3x25 @ 450 lbs., using 3 different grip positions

Barbell cheat curls - 1x5 @ 135, 1x5 @ 145, 1x5 @ 155, a bit harsh on the wrists at the top position but still fun!

1-arm shrugs in the Smith machine (strapped in on the thick, slippery bar) - 1x25 @ 115, 1x25 @ 165, 1x25 @ 185, 1x25 @ 205, all poundages taking off 30 lbs. for counterbalanced bar which I counted @ 15 lbs.

DB hammer curls, running the rack from 50s on down - did 5 reps each at 50, 45, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 12, 10, 8, and 5 to hit every DB on the way down. Only took 3 quick breaths between sets, no cheating on the way down in weight. Wasn't too dead by the end, so I started working my way back up, got to a set of 35s before it felt like my forearms and biceps were about to rip away from me so I called it quits with only 3 more weights to go (I did allow some swinging on the way up once I got to the 25s since I was dying out quickly!) Next time, I'm making it all the way back up to the 50s!

Finished by playing around with Turkish Get-Ups. Never really tried them before, but I will say, they're one hell of a core/stabilizer killer! Worked up to an 85 lb. DB with my right hand and a 75 lb. DB with the left hand - they were harder than I thought, but I do plan on playing around more to get to 100 lb. for each hand in time.

Well, that's it for me for a few days - I'll continue dieting down for a while and will get back to heavier training next week. Oh yeah, weighed in completely drained out today, I'm down to a mere 252.5, close to my goal of 250. However, while I'm seeing more definition and far less fat around the midsection, I may just carry this out through July and work slowly down to the low 240s to see if I can get in "summer shape" to where I feel pleased with my results. I won't plan on going lower than 240 since I look like I've been starved for months when I get into the low 200s, but a lean 240 would certainly be nice before I work to put some weight back on. Funny how easy it's been to drop 10 lbs. in just a bit over 2 weeks just by cutting out sugars (except from fruit), reducing my carbohydrate intake by about 40% and upping my protein. I think that a few years of lower-protein eating (lower being relative, anywhere from 100-200g/day) has made this a shock to my system and made it work well. We'll see how well it continues over the coming month!

x3 def hope the surgery went well and that you are feeling good and in good spirits.

Pics would be cool. Only way i saw them is when i was researching your journal from the earlier days to look for training tips and exercises.

bf/after would be interesting or a little background info

Is there any end to all the surgeries or is it a lifelong battle type thing?

Thanks for all the kind words on getting well after the surgery! I wish I could say that this time was an easy one, but unfortuntely, it was the worst of the 7 I've gone through so far

Usually by the end of the first night (roughly 6-10 hours post-surgery) I'm feeling 90% normal, walking around with minimal pain and can see about 75% normally out of the affected eye (after getting injected, everything is a bit blurry for a few days). This time, I slept for 12 hours, and STILL was in pain when I finally got around to moving. Next morning SHOULD have taken care of it, but I was still in a lot of pain so I had to get rushed back to the doc to make sure it didn't get infected. Good news, no infection, but bad news, he hit a blood vessel so my entire eye is blood red, giving me that look where people glance at me and quickly look away because it's pretty freaking and nobody seems to feel comfortabl enough to ask what happened. That, and they scratched my cornea a bit during the process, so that compounded the healing time so now, two full days later, I'm just starting to come back to normal. Only good news is, my doc said that since things have gone so well this year we can start spacing out treatments, so I'm looking at going back to every 3 months or possibly longer, hopefully will be able to change to every 4-5 months within the next year, and wouldn't complain about that!

Biggest complaint about the whole thing is that I was too out of it to go see yesterday's strongman and olympic lifting competitions that were going on in Milwaukee at Summerfest yesterday. Of all things, they had early 80s World's Strongest Man winner Bill Kazmaier there to host it, and I'd REALLY been looking forward to getting to see him in person since he's supposed to still be pretty damned big and strong at his age now. Oh well, looks like I'll be waiting until next summer...

Finally, I will be working to get some new pics online soon, probably in about 2.5 weeks, so look for them to be coming soon!

Well, 4.5 days post surgery so I'm back to being able to train again!

Made it a marathon upper back and chest/triceps day today -

Pull-ups -

55 reps total, done in sets of 5 up through 40, then 2s and 3s to finish up to reach the total number. Next time, I'm going to do sets with a 15 lb. DB for weight and cut down to 40 reps total to add some challenge, then work back up to 55 again and add more weight.

BB shrugs -

10x20 @ 315 lbs., alternating sets in front and behind the back.

BB flat bench -

10x10 @ 185 lbs.

Cable mid-chest row w/ bar

3x20 @ 180 lbs.

Incline bench machine -

3x20 @ 150 lbs.

Reverse shrugs on pulldown station -

2x20 @ 180 lbs.

Pressdown machine -

2x20 @ 200 lbs.

Horizontal row on Smith machine bar, feet elevated on incline bench in front of me -

3x20 @ bodyweight

Cable face pulls -

3x20 @ 65 lbs.

That's everything - just wanted to pummel myself after a break, did well enough and had energy to spare, so things are still well on track. Will continue working my weight down for the next 2 weeks prior to my camping trip, aiming to get to around 246-248 by then. Once I get to the mid 240s, it should be time to start bulking again, but a bit more sensibly than I have in the past

Thanks, Hilary! It's good to be back, even if I was only gone for a bit over 4 days

Legs and shoulders today, felt REALLY weak and tired, just had some fun with them.

Box squats to just hitting parallel, sit back with a 2-3 second pause on each rep at bottom -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

5x2 @ 365 - didn't feel great, but still got them done

Box squats to a 9" box (about 4" below my usual depth, about 6" below parallel), sit as close to vertical at bottom with 2-3 second pause each rep -

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

Was completely gassed after that last set. Wanted to do 2 more, but I knew that they just weren't going to happen today.

Horizontal leg press -

1x20 @ 300

1x20 @ 320

1x20 @ 340

1x50 @ 130 to burn my quads out for the day

Seated leg curl, rest-pause set to finish -

1x12 @ 170, rest 20 seconds, 6 reps, rest 20 seconds, 3 reps to finish, then did a 60 second bent-over hamstring stretch to finish legs for the day

Seated 1-arm shoulder press -

1x30 @ 50 lbs. each arm, done as 20, then 2 sets of 5

1-arm cable overhead press -

1x25 each arm @ 45 lbs.

Upright barbell row, very wide grip (a few inches past shoulders) -

2x10 @ 135, a little cheat at the last few reps

Haven't done these in years, I realize why as they just don't feel comfortable no matter what. Worth re-visiting them for a day to do something different, I guess.

Barbell seated wrist curls, letting bar roll halfway down fingers on each rep -

3x10 @ 135 lbs.

Easy enough, want to start re-introducing some wrist work again, so that's a start

Wrapped up with a 5 minute walk around the gym with a 135 lb. barbell on my shoulders. First 3 minutes were easy, then shoulders started to tighten up and I had to keep moving my arms around from narrow to wide. Just made the 5 minute mark, racked the bar and walked straight out to call it a night.

Tomorrow is off, Thursday will be "fun" day of anything goes, probably a mix of some upper back, biceps, and whatever sounds good at the time!