Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

If you're in Chicago, definitely let me know so we can meet up - if you aren't able to make it up this way, I'll try to get down there! I definitely miss not being able to have gone to AR this year, but I might just go to it in LA next year to attend it for my own enjoyment instead of being a vendor and being stuck behind my tables all day, so who knows, I may get to be part of it next year just for fun. Tasha is always really, really nice when I talk to her via PM - I definitely look forward to meeting her at some point!

For making a list of easy events that don't require a lot of preparation or owning a bunch of equipment, I'd suggest:

- a car/truck push (we've done this for fun with an impromptu contest once and it worked really well since just about anyone can push a small car on level ground)

- a sandbag lift to overhead press or lift and carry (you can get 50 lb. sand bags at somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot for about $2 each, put them in an Army Surplus duffel bag and you're set!)

- a yoke walk from a piece of steel pipe, some chain to run through it and an improvised loading clip to attach weights to on either side. Here's a clip of what one looks like, and can probably be made for around $50 or less depending on what parts you can find for free:

You don't have to make it heavy if you don't want to, and with the chain style, it's easy to bail out at any time for safety.

- you can have natural stone lifting by finding some rocks of various sizes and either doing a lift and carry, lift on to a platform, lift to the shoulder, lift to chest height for reps, etc., whatever sounds good (same things you can do with a sandbag, except the sandbag hurts a lot less if you drop it on your foot )

- weighted sled pulling - if nobody has one, you just need a piece of scrap steel with the front bent upward slightly so it doesn't dig into the ground, a way to attach a chain with a handle to the front for pulling, and you're set. Probably one of the easiest things to have fabricated or to make from found scrap.

- you can make a pair of farmer's walk handles for cheap so that can be included in the events. Here's a link to making them on your own: http://jva.ontariostrongman.ca/TITEFW.htm

- for a throwing event, there's plenty of choices. If you can get your hands on an old bowling ball from a thrift store, those make for some pretty fun light things to toss that have more size than a shot put. Places that sell ornamental concrete yard decorations sometimes have things like 10-12" diameter round concrete balls which weigh in the low to mid 20 lb. range, which are fun for throwing. If you have any weight plates that have the built-in handles, those work well for a discus-style spinning throw style. Finally, the easiest and ofte cheapest option that has been used in strongman before is, find an old car tire and use that for throwing. They're usually easy to find lying around somewhere (or, visit a garage or tire repair center and they'll have plenty that you could take at no charge), and have at it!

- you can do a tire flip event if you have a tire center nearby that specializes in working with industrial and farm machinery tires. Since they have to dispose of the old ones at their cost, if you go and find one that's a good flipping size you can usually get one for free as long as you can find a way to haul it off their yard. You can find tires that weigh as little as 100 lbs. to well over 1000 lbs., so you can easily find ones small enough that will be fun to flip without being overly intimidating or dangerous.

- a deadlift for repetitions event is usually easy to get - find a weight that most people will be able to get for anywhere from 5-10 reps for the average competitor, set a stopwatch for 60 or 90 seconds and go for it.

Hopefully some of these things will work for you, and be sure to get plenty of pics of your event!

That is GREAT to know because I think I will be in Chicago once or twice this coming year! Awesome! It will be fun. We all missed you at AR and even Tasha who didn't plan to go to AR and hasn't met you before was talking about you last night at the gym, how nice you are and how you're one person she can't wait to meet.

Have a great time and I'll catch you soon.

Also...I'm helping organize some strong man events coming up in the somewhat near future (end of November). The theme is "fun" but focused around strongman. Maybe you can give me insight....right now my focus is on:

Pushing

Pulling

Lifting

Carrying

Throwing

We're looking for "fun" events like Tug of War, Mud Wrestling, etc. I suggested some sort of log lift, log drag, vehicle pull, etc.

Any thoughts on "fun" strongman events that wouldn't be too hard for beginners?

Thanks!

Robert

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you sooooooooooooooo much for the ideas! I figured you'd be the guy to ask!

I checked and it looks like I should be in the Chicago area at least once and maybe more...so I'll keep you posted!

Train hard! You know I will be!

Shoulders day today!

Standing overhead strict presses -

2x5 @ 95 lbs.

1x5 @ 135

1x6 @ 185

1x6 @ 195

1x6 @ 205

Behind the neck power jerk with wide grip -

2x5 @ 225

Hise Shrugs (just for one back-related lift since I didn't do any others as planned)

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 495

1x10 @ 565

Just a few short sets, not the usual marathon shrug work.

Standing overhead press lockouts in the power rack -

4" press to lockout, 225x10

" " 275x5

" " 315x3

" " 340x1 after a failed attempt with a 5 second hold overhead.

Dropped the pins for an 8" press to lockout (about 2-3" above head height) for 2 sets of 5 @ 225 and that was it.

Stopped and flipped the tire on the way home, will post a short clip I shot of it getting flipped later on tonight!

Quick back workout tonight!

This week is my rest-up week for lower back, so I did the bare minimum instead of the usual deadlift assault. Mostly upper back today with a few lower back assistance things for good measure.

1-arm DB power snatch to warm up -

1x3 each arm @ 55, 70, 85 and 100 for 4 sets total each side.

Hammer Strength plate-loaded rows -

1x12 @ 360 lbs., high grip, medium width

1x12 @ 450 lbs., " "

1x15 " "

1x12 @ 450 lbs., narrow grip, vertical handles

1x15 " "

2x20 @ 320 lbs., wide grip, parallel grip vertical handles

Zercher lifts in the power rack from just below waist height to standing up locked out -

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 275

1x3 @ 315

1x10 @ 225

Haven't done these in ages, and they KILL my forearms the first few times I do them, so I had to start off easy. For those who haven't seen a Zercher lift before, here's an old video from when I first hit 405 lbs on it about 4 years ago (I'd eventually get 545, which is unfathomable to me now for how hard they seem!)

http://www.veganessentials.com/veganfitness/134-3457_MVI.AVI

Cable face pulls -

4x20 @ 70 lbs.

Cable pull-throughs, wide stance -

2x20 @ 85 lbs.

Yates row-style rows on the dual cable/bar setup -

2x15 @ 175 lbs., much harder than expected, totally fried so that was it for today.

Off until Thursday, will get back to leg day then!

Quick leg and chest day today -

Squats, starting out warming up with going to parallel or below -

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 385

Changed to partial squats, done about half the usual ROM for about a 12" descent to tap the safety pins in the rack before rising:

1x5 @ 500

1x5 @ 545

1x5 @ 605

1x10 @ 500

Dropped the pins slightly after that on each of the next sets -

1x2 @ 500, done to about 3/5 of the way to parallel

1x1 @ 500, done about 3/4 of the way down to parallel (about 6" higher than parallel)

1x3 @ 455, done to about 3" above parallel

1x1 @ 405, done to parallel

Just working on loading heavier for some partial reps to adapt to more weight being on my back and getting comfortable again, next week will be higher reps, aiming for 3x12 @ 315 to parallel.

No spotters and crappy pin height on the power rack meant smith machine benching today, which was fine. All weights are plate cound and 15 lbs. for crappy counter-balanced bar (not going to say the bar is more than that, as almost all smith bars are 15 lbs. on average)

1x10 @ 105

1x5 @ 195

1x5 @ 215

1x3 @ 235

1x2 @ 265

1x1 @ 285

1x1 @ 305, which was a nice surprise

1x4 @ 265

1x20 @ 200, done as 14, 10 second rest, 3 reps, 10 second rest, 3 reps to finish

1x42 @ 105 lbs., done as 30, 10 second rest, 12 reps and done.

That's it for today - probably won't be training much until Sunday as the Harley-Davidson 105th anniversary weekend bash is going on full-force in our area, making for plenty of entertainment to keep me from bothering to go lift for at least the next 2 days. I barely made it to train tonight - had VIP passes from a friend to be at the music fest (free beer usually means nothing gets done), but decided that leg day needed to come first, so I bailed out after about 2 hours Should be training for back day on Sunday, will report when done!

Motivated myself enough to get a shoulder/trapezius workout in today in about 50 minutes.

Behind the neck press/jerk

1x20 @ empty bar

1x5 @ 135 press, all done as power jerks after this point

1x3 @ 185

1x5 @ 205

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 245

Wanted to go heavier, but wasn't feeling it, so I cut it there and moved on.

Behind the back barbell shrugs -

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 455

1x5 @ 500 for a PR on weight

Overhead press lockout to hold with a short 1-2" ROM

1x10 second hold @ 315

1x5 second hold @ 365

1x15 second hold @ 315

1-arm barbell shrugs -

1x5 @ 225 lbs. each arm

1x10 @ 225 lbs. each arm

Tough to do these since stability is difficult to keep, but still got them done.

Viking Press style overhead presses on squat machine. Basically, using the palms-in handles on each side of the shoulder pads to press from while standing on the foot plate facing backward.

1x10 @ 315 lbs.

1x10 @ 405 lbs.

1x5 @ 495 lbs.

1x5 @ 585 lbs.

1x5 @ 635 lbs.

1x20 @ 405 lbs.

Keep in mind, with the slight angle for the press (it goes back a bit, not straight up) this means that the actual weight is probably about 35-40% of the weight in plates on the machine, so while the numbers may be impressive, there's nowhere near as much weight being moved.

And, that's it for today. Tomorrow is off, deadlifts on Monday!

Uninspired but semi-productive upper back day today to get one more in before deadlift day.

Weighted pull-ups -

2x2 @ bodyweight

1x2 w/25 lbs. added

1x2 w/35 lbs. added

1x1 w/45 lbs. added

2x1 w/55 lbs. added, neither rep great but workable

1x5 @ bodyweight

Hammer Strength plate-loaded row -

1x10 @ 270 lbs.

2x20 @ 470 lbs. (found a way to strap a 10 lb. plate on each side to add a bit more weight)

Bodyweight horizontal rows on pull-up bar w/ feet slung over bar out in front -

2x20

Blue cable w/handles low seated row w/ cable wrapped around a machine about 15 feet away -

2x20

BB curls -

2x8 @ 115 lbs., slight swing on the last couple reps on each set

DB preacher curl drop rep set -

35 lbs., did 8 reps, change hands, switch back to 7, repeat until down to 1 rep on each arm.

Reverse DB curls -

1x25 @ 25 lbs.

That was it, quite tired from a long weekend of staying out way too late, but life will return to normal tomorrow when the thousands and thousands of Harley Davidson enthusiasts leave town since the fest ends tonight.

Deadlift day on Tuesday, info to follow afterward!

Hey, Joe!

Yeah, there was a good bit of soreness for an hour or so afterward, but it dissipated quite soon afterward. Somehow I don't get really sore biceps from direct work, rather, indirect things like rows, chins and tire flipping tends to give me more long-term soreness. Quite odd, still haven't figured out why this is since I barely incorporate any biceps into those movements, doing all I can to avoid it.

Lower back day today, quite a good one at that!

Warmed up with some hang snatches with the empty bar for 2x10, then 2x10 overhead squats with an empty bar immediately afterward.

Next, some light power cleans -

2x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 185

Finally, warmed up with one set of snatch grip high pulls to top of chest height -

1x4 @ 225

Now, on to deadlifting!

1x3 @ 315

1x2 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 435

Dropped down for my working sets afterward -

1x5 @ 375

1x5 @ 380

1x5 @ 385

1x5 @ 395

1x5 @ 405

Originally was just planning on 5s @ 375, but was feeling quite good so I kept upping the weight. The 5 @ 405 wasn't tough, but I was winded after the 4th rep and needed a few breaths to get the power for the last one. Definitely went well, my max should be back over 455 again, will test it in a few more weeks (hoping to get up to some 5s @ 425 before then so I'll know that 455 and above will go very easily ) Goal is to get 500 or more by years' end (should be easy as long as I don't get hurt like last year!), as well as 400x10 or more for a set. Here's to getting after those goals!

Moved next to my dual cable/bar horizontal deadlift setup, bar set just above the top of my shoes for an ultra-low pull of about a 5" defeceit from a floor deadlift -

3x30 @ 230 lbs (max weight I can put on the setup)

1x55 @ 230 lbs.

Alternating with those, I did some improvised reverse hyperextensions by stacking a crapload of junk on top of a bench and putting the leg band attachment on the low spot of the cable stack. Isn't the same as the real thing (can't get the desired stretch), but I get about 2/3 of the ROM I'm aiming for and it does help get the blood flowing in the lower back quite nicely. 5 sets total at 25 lbs., just getting used to my improvised setup so that I don't topple it over trying to keep my balance. There's 3 plates under each section of the base of the flat bench, then a plastic stair stepper with 4 risers on top of the bench, then a pair of 45 lb. plates, then a 2" thick foam pad on top. One of these days I'll take a pic of the setup - it's pretty funny to look at, but it works

Tomorrow is off, Thursday will be some upper back and overhead presses, thinking I'll use my steel log to play around with it and get used to the movement again. Will report back once done!

Now, on to deadlifting!

1x3 @ 315

1x2 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 435

Dropped down for my working sets afterward -

1x5 @ 375

1x5 @ 380

1x5 @ 385

1x5 @ 395

1x5 @ 405

Originally was just planning on 5s @ 375, but was feeling quite good so I kept upping the weight. The 5 @ 405 wasn't tough, but I was winded after the 4th rep and needed a few breaths to get the power for the last one. Definitely went well, my max should be back over 455 again, will test it in a few more weeks (hoping to get up to some 5s @ 425 before then so I'll know that 455 and above will go very easily ) Goal is to get 500 or more by years' end (should be easy as long as I don't get hurt like last year!), as well as 400x10 or more for a set. Here's to getting after those goals!

Solid goals, and looks like you're well on your way to meeting them

Have fun with the log!

Thanks, Ralst!

The log work is being pushed until Sunday - I had a bad day today so I hit the gym for a light upper back and chest/triceps workout to let off some steam. Hearing that I need to get my next round of eye surgery next week didn't set the tone for a good day, so it's what I needed.

Close grip barbell bench -

1x10 @ 135

1x5 @ 185

1x3 @ 205

1x2 @ 225

1x2 @ 250

1x10 @ 205

1x15 @ 185

1x25 @ 135

Pulldowns -

2x15 @ 210 lbs.

Hammer Strength plate-loaded pulldowns -

1x8 @ 270

1x4 @ 320, dropped immediately to 1x12 @ 180 afterward

Dips -

2x10 @ bodyweight

Seated cable rows -

1x20 each arm @ 105 lbs. w/ single rope (good for the back, kills the hands!)

1x20 each arm @ 105 lbs. w/ non-revolving handle

1x15 @ 190 lbs. w/ dual handle rope

Lying DB triceps extension, single arm -

2x15 @ 40 lb. DB

That was it, just a quick session to get these things in and cool off a bit, will lift either Friday or Saturday for leg day.

Quick leg workout today -

Warmed up with some light squats, rolling out on a foam roller, box jumps and misc. stuff for about 20 minutes, then had at it -

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x2 @ 365

1x1 @ 385

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 425

1x1 @ 445

1x1 @ 455 - finally getting over 450 again, movin' on up!

Dropped down a bit, was supposed to do 3x12 @ 315 but knee was tender so I didn't go for broke.

1x12 @ 315 for box squats, paused on box at parallel

Finished up with 1 last set, 1x21 @ 250 to do a bodyweight set of 20 + 1 extra for good measure. Legs were fine, but endurance is what kills me. If I could have been breathing better, I'd have been good for 30, but my lungs just weren't having it.

Tomorrow is off, some overhead and back work on Sunday!

Strong squats, VE!

If you don't mind a quick question, if/when you incorporate front squats into your routines, how do you normally work them in with your regular squatting? I'm asking because I've semi-committed myself to a goal of getting a 300-lb front squat this year, and that's going to take some work

Thanks in advance.

Hey, Ralst! Thanks for the compliment - I'm inching closer to that goal of hitting 500 again by years' end, and every little bit helps. I actually felt good for maybe 465-470ish since I didn't stall out at all on the 455, but I'll test those waters at the middle to end of October

I don't do front squats much these days (though, I probably should), but when I did them, I put them at the start of my squatting routine for the day. I used to use them to warm up with, since my best front squat was only aroud 65% of my bets back squat (I think I hit 335 once, but no more than that because my form has never been that good and I'd tip forward when I went heavy). If you don't plan on doing a dedicated front squat routine, then I'd recommend doing them before back squats (you should still have plenty of gas for back squats after front squats unless you do tons of sets/reps), or, alternating front and back squat weeks to change things up a bit. I don't have any doubt that you'll hit 300 lbs. for a front squat - your other training is coming along very well, definitely looking strong for sure. Best of luck on the front squats - they've always been my weak point, but maybe someday I'll conquer them and hit that 400 I've always wanted.

Strong squats, VE!

If you don't mind a quick question, if/when you incorporate front squats into your routines, how do you normally work them in with your regular squatting? I'm asking because I've semi-committed myself to a goal of getting a 300-lb front squat this year, and that's going to take some work

Thanks in advance.

Back and shoulders work today -

1-arm DB overhead press -

1x10 @ 45 each arm

1x10 @ 75 " "

1x10 @ 80 " "

1x10 @ 85 " "

1x10 @ 90 " "

Chin-ups -

3x10 @ bodyweight

Managed to get 7-8 on each set before needing a few quick breaths before getting the last few in.

Standing overhead barbell 1/2 press from just above head (about 1") to lockout -

3x10 @ 205

1x40 @ 135 (done as 20, then 2 sets of 10 afterward with about 15 seconds between each)

Seated rows w/dual cable and bar setup -

1x20 @ 160

1x20 @ 180

3x20 @ 200

Blue dual-handled cable overhead presses -

2x30

Pulldowns w/dual cable and bar setup -

2x20 @ 170 (getting tired)

Cable w/dual rope face pulls -

2x20 @ 75

1x50 @ 55

Overhead shrugs on Smith machine -

3x30 @ 225 lbs. (not counting bar weight)

That's it for today, Tuesday will be deadlifts then it's back for eye surgery on Wednesday with my usual 4-5 days off afterward. Will report on deadlifts once they're done, might go for a PR session for moderate reps, aiming for 20 sets of 5 w/ 350 or more. We'll see how it goes when I get there!

All the best with the surgery man. I hope all is well and you'll recover well.

Thanks again for your advice on the strong man stuff. I just PM'd you about it. P.S. I'll get some Vega promo stuff sent soon. Just been swamped like crazy, but having fun.

I look forward to catching up soon....P.S. I just heard that I 'may' be going to Expo East. I wasn't planning on it but may be there after all. Are you going?

P.P.S. I had the Organic Athlete guys here in town this weekend and they had mounted all of our magazine features from VegNews in 06 or 07 whenever it was, on a poster board which was cool. So I saw your photo there, with me and 13 other most influential vegan athletes in North America. Cheers!

Tasha is always really, really nice when I talk to her via PM - I definitely look forward to meeting her at some point!

That is GREAT to know because I think I will be in Chicago once or twice this coming year! Awesome! It will be fun. We all missed you at AR and even Tasha who didn't plan to go to AR and hasn't met you before was talking about you last night at the gym, how nice you are and how you're one person she can't wait to meet.

Robert mentioned to me that you were saying sweet things about me Thank-You !!

I also been lifting quiet a bit lately. Nothing like you guys. But I feel so much stronger on my bike.

Today I was at the gym I

Did Dead lifts with the barbell. Flys with dumb bell, tri press and skull crushers with the barbell. Also work the biceps with the barbell and dumb bells. Did repeatedly number of squats and lunges using the barbell. Worked my whole core, with plank push ups, and crunches. I hope to crush you and Robert at the same time. I guess I shouldn't be taking up your blog.

Sorry

Thanks to all of you for wishing me well - I'm off to bed so I don't have much time to get back to everyone (hoping to get at least 6 hours' sleep before doomsday ), but I'll have more time to reply when I recover on Friday.

Deadlift marathon workout tonight. Goal was 350 lbs. for 100 reps in 1 hour or less, made it with ease.

Power snatch -

1x10 w/ empty bar

2x2 @ 135 lbs.

BB Deadlift -

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

101 reps @ 350 lbs. in 55 minutes total, done in sets of 5, 6 and 7 with no more than 2 minutes' rest per set, except at 50 where I took a 3 minute break on one set.

I was pretty beat by the end, but nowhere near as badly as I was at the time I did 315 and needed a full hour to get there. Endurance is good, heart rate WAY up there (I was clocking in around 170 bpm when I checked around 80 reps deep), but not that worn out other than my lower back being rather spent. In around 6 weeks I'll test again, going for 100 reps in an hour with 365-370 lbs. When I can eventually get 405 x 100 in a single session, I figure I'll be well into the 500s for a max single when I test, so I gotta keep pushing on and it'll hopefully be done before the end of 2008!

Well, off to bed for a bit before I get the 'ol poke in the eye, will check in often while I'm on the injured list through the rest of the week!

Just a quick check in!

Eye surgery went REALLY well today, best one yet of the 7 or 8 I've done. Kept it patched all day to keep it as rested as possible, pulled the patch off around 11 PM and it is totally pain-free for the first time ever. I don't know what went wrong last time that scratched my cornea so badly, but if I didn't have to worry about infection from sweating and wiping my face while training, I'd be in the gym tomorrow instead of holding off until Sunday

Of course, the good luck means that I'll probably get the shaft again with a bad one in the next few rounds, but hey, any time I can feel normal by day 2 is a good session, so I couldn't be happier.

Also, got the news that we may be merging another online vegan shop into our business in the next month or two (company that's not doing so well and was looking to fold, but we're trying to help them out so they don't suffer a huge loss), so there's more good news on the horizon as well. An exciting time, will keep everyone posted on this development as we know more!

Ryan

Have you tried wearing swimming or ski goggles? I bet you would look rediculas but you would get a nice training in and not have to worry about stuff dripping hah Just kidding.

I'm glad eye surgery went well.

I can't wait to hear about the other vegan shop

Congratulations Ryan !!!

Robert - can't wait to hear about how the contest in Hawaii goes. Get lots of great pics from the event so we can see how it turns out!

Ralst - thanks for the kind thoughts, and no problem at all on the front squat help. I just need to get myself back in that mode again - perhaps my re-entry workout this Sunday will be the time to do some, since I was just planning on speed doubles with 295 for the bulk of that session otherwise.

Tasha - normally, I'd do just about anything to get back to training faster, but my body is wrecked from the deadlift marathon session the other day (forgot that it usually takes 2 days to kick in for me), so I can use the next 2 days to rest up and come back better than before. Still, I may hold on to that goggles idea for the future if I get to anxious for getting back to training a day or two sooner than normal

Just planning on taking a few good walks in the next day to keep active, then Sunday will be back to lifting again to get right back on track!