Ryan's "Hope to compete again in 2014" log

You'll be back in action soon. Rest up and be well.

I was talking about your company with some friends in L.A.

I'm excited to see how things go in Hawaii! I also may be in Chicago sooner than I thought...still working out details and I'll let you know how it goes and if I end up there. A training session will be in order!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in action today, light workout for legs and upper back to get my groove again.

Squats -

1x10 @ empty bar

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 225

1x2 @ 275

1x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

Dropped the weight down to do some speed doubles, done just below parallel but exploding up as fast as possible, trying to get some bar bounce off my shoulders at top (just so I know that I'm rising quickly enough )

10x2 @ 295, all very fast and very easy

Afterward, loaded the bar to 500 and did 3 sets of 30 second holds at lockout position, just standing with the bar in the squat position.

Pull-ups -

5x10 @ bodyweight

Felt weak when doing these, just basically would do 1-2 reps, set my feet down (the handles are perfectly set so that if I stand straight, I'm just able to touch the handles for a proper grip), and repeat until done, taking a few seconds between reps as necessary. Not good on endurance for these, but it was fine.

Dual cable/bar pulldowns -

1x20 @ 180, 190 and 200 for 3 sets total

Wrapped up with one last leg set, did some horizontal leg presses for 1x10 @ 350 then immediately to 1x10 @ 200, walked to the seated leg curl and did 1x50 @ 120 lbs. afterward (done as 25, rest 10 seconds, 15 reps, rest 20 seconds, 10 last reps to finish.)

That's it, just a comeback day, will be doing some overhead pressing and other stuff on Tuesday!

2nd workout back, going well for the return. Shoulders and trapezius work today -

Standing overhead press -

2x5 @ 135 (strict)

1x3 @ 185 (strict)

1x3 @ 205 (strict)

1x5 @ 225 (slight push on each rep)

1x2 @ 245 (slight push press)

1x8 @ 185 (strict)

Barbell shrugs -

1x10 @ 225

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 405 behind the back

1x10 @ 405 in front again

1x50 @ 315 in front, done as 30, rest 10 seconds, 12, rest 10 seconds, 8 to finish

Viking Press on squat machine -

3x10 @ 545 lbs. (probably closer to 200ish in actual weight)

Came back to the office, put a little weight on my steel log, did a few strict press doubles at 165 lbs. just to get the feel of it, then a few sets if 1-arm presses with an 18 lb. paper roll for 50 reps each side.

Thursday should be deadlift day, will post when done!

Strong pressing, VE.

Came back to the office, put a little weight on my steel log, did a few strict press doubles at 165 lbs. just to get the feel of it, then a few sets if 1-arm presses with an 18 lb. paper roll for 50 reps each side.

You have a cool office

VE!

You need to be at Venice Gold's with me! I wore my VB&F shirts there and got tons of looks, even from top bodybuilders.....luckily I was pretty pumped and chest pressing 105-lb dumbbells, etc. and somewhat impressed some of them, but man, if you're here too, and some other people much bigger than me...we can make some noise at the most popular gym in the world.

Will you be out to L.A. next year for AR or Expo West, etc.?

I'm pretty sure you said yeah to one or both in the past?

Let's do it man! My buddy Keith who is vegan and benches about 300 while only weighing 150 trained with me yesterday at Gold's where he has a membership.

Let's get a group together man!

I hope all is great. More Vega being sent to VE soon! I'm finally home for about 48 hours or so...then off again

Hey, Robert!

Sounds like a blast - wish I could have been there at Gold's, but perhaps another time we'll get the chance to go there together. I'll definitely be at Expo West in March, so you can count on meeting up early next year. We'll get something worked out so that this time we can actually train together, since I missed out last Expo due to our schedules being totally off during those days. We'll make it work!

Upper back/biceps workout today -

BB rows -

1x10 @ 135

1x8 @ 225

1x5 @ 275

1x5 @ 295

1x5 @ 315 - tough, last rep not so good

1x18 @ 225

Pulldowns -

3x10 @ 255 wide grip

1x6 @ 255, 1x6 @ 190, 1x6 @ 130, all done in succession with the V-handle

Cable face pulls -

3x15 @ 145 lbs. (felt like 80ish on the cable setup at my other gym, big variance)

Not enough time, gym closed, but found that there was another of the 24-hour gyms in the chain I have a membership with that opened up a mile from my choice gym, so I went to check it out and found some fun stuff to play with there.

Nautilus plate-loaded unilateral pulldown machine -

1x10 @ 270

1x10 @ 320

1x6 @ 360 lbs.

1-arm seated cable rows -

3x15 @ 120 lbs. per arm

Standing DB hammer curls -

1x8 @ 55s

1x5 @ 65s

1x30 @ 35s (done as 20, rest 10 seconds, 5, rest 10 seconds, 5 to finish)

Did a few light sets on some other equipment to test it, not half bad, may have to stop there once in a while. Bar for squatting and DLs wasn't great so I'll probably reserve it for back and chest or shoulder work, but still, good to know that there's one more place to go.

That's it, will do deadlifts on Saturday or Sunday!

Quick chest and lower back workout at new gym in the chain I belog to (which has a better power rack than the one at my other 24 hour location) -

16" deadlifts in the power rack (pulling from lower kneecap to lockout) -

1x10 @ 135

1x10 @ 225

1x5 @ 315

1x5 @ 365

1x5 @ 415

1x20 @ 315

1x20 @ 330

1x20 @ 365

Incline Nautilus plate-loaded press -

1x10 @ 180

2x10 @ 270

1x5 @ 320 (very tough!)

1x20 @ 180

1x50 @ 90

That was it - short and simple, will be back to squat on Wednesday!

Root canal scheduled for Wednesday, so leg day will have to wait until Thursday. Did a quick upper back workout tonight instead:

BB Shrugs behind the back -

1x10 @ 135

1x10 @ 225

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

3x10 @ 455

Neutral-grip pull-ups, narrower handles (about 18" apart)

2x8

Nautilus plate-loaded pulldown machine -

1x10 @ 270

1x5 @ 360

1x5 @ 380

1x4 @ 405 (missed last rep)

1x20 @ 250

Hise Shrug using smith machine (seemed easier at the time) [not counting bar weight, plates only]

1x20 @ 270

1x20 @ 360

1x50 @ 450

ROM was a bit shorter since I couldn't get a good setting with the safety pins, but still, not too bad.

That was it, just a quick session to hold me over until later this week!

Took the past week off. Life has been rather draining keeping up with everything (work, working in my yard, family visits, etc.) so I've decided that the last week was best spent taking care of everything on my plate and getting a little more rest than normal. Will resume training on Tuesday with a deadlift or leg workout.

Returned back to lifting today, had a good time back at it

Standing overhead BB strict presses -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 160

3x8 @ 185, 2nd set as 7 with a few breaths before finishing the 8th rep, 3rd set with 6 reps then about 10 seconds to finish the last 2.

Deadlifts -

1x8 @ 185

1x5 @ 225

1x3 @ 315

1x2 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 455

5x5 @ 405

No sets difficult for the movement, but got seriously winded at the end on the last 2 sets. That's what a week off will do to me, I guess

Overhead press machine -

3x20 @ 140 lbs.

Came home, did 3x30 bodyweight reverse hypers to finish up. Felt good, Thursday should be leg day if I feel well recovered, otherwise, one more upper back day then legs following!

Good upper back workout tonight!

Pull-ups, alternating from wide-grip to palms-in angled grip to neutral grip narrow width each set, done as 11x5 @ bodyweight for 55 total reps. The sets weren't that challenging except that, while I usually set my feet down here and there to rest my grip for a second between reps, all but one set was done from a constant hang. I usually don't like to tax my grip as much since I do pull-ups first and it fries my forearms doing multiple sets, but I gave in and did it and it went better than expected.

BB Shrugs -

1x20 @ 135

1x20 @ 225

5x30 @ 315, done as 3 in front, 2 sets behind the back

1x50 @ 315, behind the back, felt much easier than usual for an endurance set

Nautilus seated row machine -

1x20 @ 200

1x20 @ 230

3x20 @ 250

Positioning feels good on this machine, unlike most seated row setups I've used. Wish I could get that weight up to 300 on it so I could do lower-rep sets that really are taxing, but that thing maxes out at 250, so that's as good as it gets.

1-arm cable shrugs -

3x30 @ 150 lbs. each arm

Seated DB curls w/ slight cheat on each rep -

1x30 @ 40 lb. DBs each arm (can't get above 20 with strict form, decided to cheat 'em a bit and hit 30 reps total on one set)

1-arm preacher curls -

1x20 @ 30 lbs. each arm, slow and strict

Some days, heavy arm work feels good, other days seem best for lots or reps done lighter. This was one of those days

Tomorrow I'll be at a companion animal product tradeshow to scout for new stuff, should hopefully get my leg day in Saturday, Sunday at very latest since I've slacked on the squats for a few weeks. Gotta get back on it!

Have fun at the trade show! I'll be flying out to San Fran in the morning. I was thinking of you as I was easily incline pressing 90's today for chest and soon to be 110's in each hand (have done 105's a couple of times on flat).

All the best, have an outstanding weekend and lots of fun at the show!

Hey Veganessentials/ Mr Ryan

I dont want to rob the thread of its intended content but it is kind of relevant

I'm thinking of following the program that you endorse in your article 'vegan power training' written in feb 04 that uses this set up:

Sunday - Chest and Upper Back

Monday - Off

Tuesday - Legs and Shoulders (arms if you feel the need)

Wednesday - Off

Thursday - Lower back, Trapezius and Grip work

Friday - Off

Saturday - return to Chest and Upper Back, start cycle again

Basically I just want to get as strong as possible, and if that means an increase in size and weight thats fine too.

So from my understanding, it seems that about four exercises will be done each day (excluding grip work and arms), consisting of five sets, two of which are progressive warm up sets for each...

Anyway, any pointers, regarding this would be really really useful, including any alterations you would have made if you wrote the program now or anything...

Thank you very much!

Mik

Hey, Mik!

I'm always happy to help out with any questions.

Basically, the plan is meant to be kept pretty simple. It definitely sparked my run on the right course when I wanted to get bigger and stronger in a hurry, and hopefully it will work well for you as well

Sunday - Chest and Upper Back

I would usually end up doing something like incline DB benching and close-grip BB bench for the chest/triceps work, then for upper back, something like BB or DB rows then a movement pulling in a different plane, such as pulldowns or chins or something of that sort.

Tuesday - Legs and Shoulders (arms if you feel the need)

For this day, something like squats and leg curls for the lower half, then standing overhead barbell presses followed by something like 1-arm DB presses for the 2nd exercise.

Thursday - Lower back, Trapezius and Grip work

Here, I'd do something like deadlifts for lower back, many times just one exercise for lower back as it takes a beating pretty well. You could throw in some back extensions afterward on a machine or, if you need to add weight and don't have a back extension machine, find any bodyweight extension station and hold a plate or DB for added resistance. For trapezius work, some shrugs are always good, barbell or dumbbell, and for that, you could most likely get away with just one exercise for a bit, but if you'd like to do 2, then go for it. Just listen to your body - if you feel good to handle more, do it, but if you're thoroughly beat after the lower back and first shrug exercise, don't feel bad about cutting it off there. Grip work is optional - I always recommend it, but don't consider it a mandatory thing if you're pressed for time, or, don't feel a strong need to work your grip more at this point. If you do go with grip work, I recommend sticking to what's most beneficial for carryover to other lifts/applications. Either some static holds with a barbell in the power rack, held at deadlift lockout position for time (which will in turn help you hold on to heavier weight better), or, some pinch-gripping work if you have a gym that still has some good old iron plates with one smooth side.

That's just about it. With your initial set on the first lift for a body part, do the first set with a weight that's light enough to knock out maybe 15-20 reps, 2nd set maybe 8-12 reps, then once you get to those 3 working sets, the general plan for "feel" is this -

1st set - can be completed at 5 reps and feeling like you could have gotten one more without much problem, but 2 more would be pushing it.

2nd set - 5th rep is a fair struggle, you MIGHT be able to get one more, but it's pretty debatable as to whether or not you'd succeed with a 6th.

3rd set - 5th rep is a battle, done heavy enough that you know there's no way you could get another rep done. If you fail on the last rep on the last set, so be it - I'd usually rest about 20-30 seconds and try to grind it out again, but if you lose it on that final rep, don't beat yourself up over it too much.

Once you get that first exercise for a body part over with, next 2nd exercise you won't need to warm up for if you'd rather just go with 5 working sets right off. If that's the case, then start the first 2 sets to go where you feel that 1-2 more reps would be easy, but there's no way you'd make 8 or more at that weight. Then, when you get to the 3rd set, continue as normal for how you want to feel after each is done.

Like I always say, keep it simple. Stick to compound movements as much as possible - when you're looking to get bigger and stronger quickly, there's little room for cable crossovers or reverse DB curls on a preacher bench. Go with what offers the best payoff, if you can do the lift standing instead of sitting, go for it (such as, overhead pressing), and don't neglect the need to eat lots and get as much sleep as you can. Not much more to it than that, but if you have any other questions let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Thank you very much!

So far I've only completed the Chest and upperback workout and the legs and shoulders workout but i've really enjoyed them both; I definately prefer compound exercises, and the ones this workout features r my favourites

for Chest and upperback I did Bench press, dumbell bench press (though i'll probably swap the latter each week for a differnt bench press type exercise), chin ups and seated rows.

For legs and shoulders I did squats, and would have done legpress but I pulled a hamstring at the end so didnt, then standing press then seated military press.

And for lower back, traps and grip, I was planning on deadlifts, weighted hyper extentions, shrugs, maybe some upright rows and some pinch gripping

All the exercises using the reps and sets you suggest. I'm writing it down in a training diary 2 monitor my progress, thanks alot!

And as for food this is what my typical diet looks like(this is what i ate 2 days ago, but in the last week i've followed a similar pattern but with more fruit and veg). I'm only 165-170 lbs so its quite alot...

Breakfast: 3 slices of toast+ Jam with some pumpkin and sunflour seeds

Mid morning: 2 medium pittas with vegan 'ham', humous and gerkins+ lettuce

Lunch: 2 large potatos and a whole tin of baked beans+ lettuce

Mid afternoon: Mix of raisins dates, sunflower seeds and pumkin seeds with apple juice (throughout the day i had a total of 1 litre apple juice)

Dinner: Tofu curry, with soy yoghurt, rice, quinoa and 2 pitta breads (was a real challenge eating it all )

Late evening: Mix of raisins, dates and seeds (my total seed intake must have been at least 150g)

I also drunk plenty of water

Hey again, Mik! I'll get to your questions in a bit (just a quick posting of my workout before I forget, then I'll be online later to read through everything!)

Leg day today -

Started with 30 minutes of warming up with light stretching, box jumps, ballistic horizontal leg presses, adductor/abductor work, rolling out and progressive squats up to a single at 430. Moved down a bit in weight for working sets -

5x5 @ 380

Nothing fancy, just some good sets done slightly below parallel and that's it. Getting my groove back again - I'm starting to find my optimal positioning, in that I'm starting to widen my stance up and it's giving me a lot more stability for keeping upright. Definitely going well with this - I expected to suffer since I ditched squats for around 3 weeks out of apathy and laziness, but this was a good day for the confidence boosting.

Afterward, I did 3 quick circuits of doom on leg machines, with a set of 20 on the horizontal leg press, then 20 on the adductor (I think that's right, the one where you squeeze your legs inward), then 20 on the seated leg curl. No rest between exercises, 90 seconds between sets, and that was it. Whole workout done in 70 minutes, including the 30 minutes of warm-up time prior to squats.

Tomorrow off, Wednesday will be upper back and chest/triceps day!

Hey, Mik!

Looks like you're off to a good start - sticking with quality lifts, which is the way to go. The ONLY one I might swap out would be the upright rows, but that would be because I've got a thing against them (they hurt my wrists if I grip close, and don't feel good on the shoulders unless I grip REALLY wide). If I made any one change, I'd swap those out for some high pulls or behind-the-back shrugs, my two favorite shrugging exercises. For the high pulls, I prefer to do them in the power rack so I can catch my breath when needed. Basically, I set the safety pins just a hair above knee level, grab either a clean grip (normal shoulder-wide position) or snatch grip (wide grip, near collars for me), stick my butt out like I'm doing a Romanian DL, then snap my hips forward and shrug like there's no tomorrow. I use a lot less weight on them than regular shrugs (around 225 lbs. for 8-10 reps rather than 315 for 30+ reps like I do with regular shrugs ) but they blast the hell out of me and helped instigate some quality growth in my traps. That's the only suggestion I'd make for change, but if you prefer upright rows, then go for it and see how they work for you in the program.

Looks like you're probably eating plenty - if you can keep a calorie log that will help so you'll always know where you stand, but so long as you KNOW you're eating more than usual, you should see some quality results even without monitoring every little detail.

Everything looks great - be sure to keep me posted on how it works for you (I will eventually be going back to that routine later on, too!)

thanks for you help

I definately am eating much more then I used to, probably around 50 percent more within the last week. Also the amount of juice i've been drinking has really upped my calorie intake.

Another thing though; what was your eating like? I know you mention that unlike most ppl you make gains with a pretty moderate calorie intake; I'm certainly nothing like that; I'm naturally quite skinny. But did you make an effort when bulking up to eat all 'clean' foods so to speak; some ppl i know who try to get bigger say they pig out on McDonalds, crisps, ice cream etc, which isnt really an option as a vegan but I'm undecided as to whether to stick to the clean eating plan i'm on now, which is loads of rice, bread, oats, grains, beans, greens, nuts, seeds and a little vegan 'meat' or whether i should be concerned about adding some frys, wedges, fried burgers , onion bhajis etc etc

The latter are all foods I really love but i'd happily reserve them for very rare occasions is need be but if they dont impede performance and even help bulking up then i'd be glad to have them now and again

...or whether i should be concerned about adding some frys, wedges, fried burgers , onion bhajis etc etc

The latter are all foods I really love but i'd happily reserve them for very rare occasions is need be but if they dont impede performance and even help bulking up then i'd be glad to have them now and again

Stay away from them! It's a slippery slope my friend.

Cereal is healthy, no? But not when you can't control your addiction to it and you end up eating 1/2 box in a sitting.

Foods that are tough to control should be very restricted I think...

...or whether i should be concerned about adding some frys, wedges, fried burgers , onion bhajis etc etc

Stay away from them! It's a slippery slope my friend.

Cereal is healthy, no? But not when you can't control your addiction to it and you end up eating 1/2 box in a sitting.

Foods that are tough to control should be very restricted I think...

Aaahh!!! Thanks...but too late; i just bought a packet of hobnobs (they r vegan, i checked ) and have just got through a third of them :/

I've been kinda poorly 2day therefore lazy :/ but most likely religious dieting will resume tommorow, one day of eating some grease coated sugary processed rubbish wont kill me

I will preface by agreeing with Fallen_Horse and say that, while it can be tempting to eat ANYTHING while bulking, it becomes really easy to add more fat than necessary, so I recommend staying within certain bounds when eating more.

I ate anything and everything for a long time, and while I did see my best muscle/strength gains, I did put on a lot of fat along with it. For a while, my body seemed to make good use of everything, but as time went on, more went to fat than to building anything good. I now eat around 3200-3500 cal. on most training days (not doing a quick bulk this time, taking it slowly) and only around 2700 on non-training days and that works well for me - some heavy training days I may occasionally eat around 4000 cal. but I try not to do it too often (occasionally, it doesn't do me any damage, but frequently, it will end up going in the wrong direction). I would say, if you know your base calorie level to maintain, perhaps start with just 500-700 cal./day more than that and see how that goes for a bit. If that doesn't work well, bump to maybe 800-1000 cal./day over maintenance. But, I'd definitely be hesitant to do a huge caloric increase quickly - while you'll definitely see more size and strength, eventually you're going to see more fat than you'd like, and that's when people start to panic and usually end up dieting away all the good they've done underneath the fat.

There are some diet theories that suggest staggering caloric intake to keep the body guessing and prevent too much fat storage/too much muscle loss, and when I've done something similar to that, it usually ends up going well. So, maybe one post-training day I'll eat just a bit over maintenance (for a lighter day) at around 3200 cal., then next session, I'll jump to 3700, then back down on the next training day, doing the bigger overfeedings on the big training days like legs and the marathon upper back workout sessions. That's what I'll likely go back to next time I go for a larger amount of gains (which will be post-holiday, in a few weeks I start a minor bit of cutting again).

Food-wise, if you're going to eat a lot for gaining, definitely try to keep as much of it clean as possible. I don't see any problem with the occasional bit of junk food, so long as you don't base a major portion of your calories on it. So, say, if you were eating 4000 cal. on a heavy training day, maybe allow 250-500 cal. at most to be processed junk type foods, and keep the rest clean. I know it's tougher to get enough food when eating clean (I have a hard time above 3000 cal./day without junk food), but it will be better for you in the end. If I were to eat whatever sounded good in an attempt to put in more calories, I could easly pack in 8000 cal. in a day with vegan ice cream, candy, and other snacks (the vegan Doritos being an easy way for me to put down 1500 calories during one TV show )

Definitely keep the diet as clean as can be, and try to reserve the snacks for times when your appetitie is down, or, you feel like a bit of a treat, but make them an occasional thing instead of being a regular occurrence and everything will hopefully go well!

thanks for you help

I definately am eating much more then I used to, probably around 50 percent more within the last week. Also the amount of juice i've been drinking has really upped my calorie intake.

Another thing though; what was your eating like? I know you mention that unlike most ppl you make gains with a pretty moderate calorie intake; I'm certainly nothing like that; I'm naturally quite skinny. But did you make an effort when bulking up to eat all 'clean' foods so to speak; some ppl i know who try to get bigger say they pig out on McDonalds, crisps, ice cream etc, which isnt really an option as a vegan but I'm undecided as to whether to stick to the clean eating plan i'm on now, which is loads of rice, bread, oats, grains, beans, greens, nuts, seeds and a little vegan 'meat' or whether i should be concerned about adding some frys, wedges, fried burgers , onion bhajis etc etc

That is an awesome post! hahaha! Man, I need another one of those days! I had one this summer at a kid's birthday party. It was so much fun.....life gets too serious sometimes when we work so hard.

Glad you found time to play.

Yeah, it was fun - we moved pallets of dog food around for bunkers, set up some skids as forts...basically turned the back half of our warehouse into a battleground for 90 minutes (then I had to return the young 'uns back to our friends for bedtime!) I only wish I could harvest a fraction of the energy that kids have at that age - I'd never have the excuse of being too tired ever again

Tonight was a quick upper back and shoulders workout -

BB Rows -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

3x10 @ 250

BB Standing overhead strict presses -

1x5 @ 115

1x5 @ 135

1x3 @ 185

1x4 @ 205

1x3 @ 210

1x3 @ 215

1x3 @ 220

1x1 @ 225 (just gave out at that point, not much left for heavy stuff)

1x12 @ 135

Nautilus Seated Row -

3x25 @ 250 (full stack)

1-arm DB overhead press -

1x12 each arm @ 85 lbs.

1x20 each arm @ 60 lbs.

Ballistic pull-ups on Gravitron w/ 150 lbs. of weight removed (105 lbs. actual weight)

1x10, pulling fast, changing grips at top when I'd catch air on each rep

That was it, just a short day today as my body is STILL worn out from the leg day a few days back. If I skip a leg workout or two, I get beaten down when I come back, and this is one of those times.

Deadlifts coming soon!

Needed a few more days off than usual, still run down more than normal lately. Would have lifted Saturday, but waited too long and I didn't feel like getting home after 1 AM so I opted to wait for Sunday instead.

Started with deadlifts -

1x5 @ 135

1x5 @ 225

2x2 @ 315

1x1 @ 365

1x1 @ 405

1x1 @ 455 - much easier than last time, I think I'm pretty close to a good 500 lb. deadlift again (but won't test it until December, in hopes that I can pull 525ish or better by that point )

4x8 @ 365

Wanted to get a 5th set, but my asthma was being REALLY weird today. Seriously, even with my inhaler it took me about 4-5 minutes to catch my breath after the deadlift sets, and I was only feeling winded on the final rep on each. Very odd, but strength-wise, all 4 of those sets were easy and with no struggle at all - if my breathing was good, I know I'd have 10-12 reps per set in the tank. We'll work up to that soon enough - next time with 8s the weight will be 380.

A few quick sets of good mornings next, breathing was REALLY bad at this point after the last deadlift set, just couldn't go long even though my lower back was telling me it was good for a lot more -

1x10 @ 225

1x6 @ 315

Moved to a few shrugs next just for kicks to wrap it up, breathing was getting slightly better at this point -

(all sets done behind the back)

1x10 @ 225

1x10 @ 315

1x10 @ 405

1x10 @ 455

1x6 @ 505

Crapped out a bit on that last one, but still felt good to go a few lbs. over 500 on them. Aiming to get a few with 600 before year's end if all goes well and break the cycle of being a crappy shrugger (that sounds kind of weird, reading it again )

Did 1x8 DB hammer curls with 60 lb. DBs on the way out, done strict with no swing. That's it for tonight, Tuesday will be upper back and shoulders!