the politics of food

CollegeB

Talk about rhetorical question

Awsome CollegeB!

Since taxation is stealing labour time that is owned by the labourer (if one believs that a person owns himself) in and within itself, it's wrong. At least morally. To steal a part of a persons life and then give it away to something that this person strictly is against is wrong wheather done by a democratically elected government or not.

I agree with very few if any subsidizing. Even for Organic Produce farmers...however they need it to keep up with regular farmers. I just think if anything we should get taxed less and wind up paying more for our food...I think John Robbins said unsubsidized meat would cost something like $35 per pound...that would be a very good thing.

i have no idea of the true cost of meat but unsubsidized it would certainly go up. nobody would pay $35 and there are many other agriculural industries like berries, watermelon, oats that are on their own. Wheat, corn and animal agriculture are heavily subsidized.

So what do you all think of politicians creating legislation which gives money to the dairy and meat industries?

I think it's great.

Just kidding.

Has anyone read "Food Politics" by Marion Nestle? I'm working my way through it. Even though it's mostly American and I'm not, I know a lot of the same crap goes on here and it's a real piss off. It's hard enough convincing people to eat vegan stuff without the government heavily subsidizing all the non-vegan choices. I routinely point out to omnivores that their food is subsidized because inevitably they ask why and then I get to fill them in and make them think a bit.