Bike Suggestion and Help...

Hey

Here is my problem!!! I have a Dyno Slammer BMX bike with over $$$2 Grand into it. I went all out and picked out all my own parts... I am trying to sell this bike at a Steal and nobody seems to want it. It has only been out maybe 10 times its entire life. I have every Receipt for every part.

No stores around me want it?? The thing is Mint and I am pretty much giving it away... I would love to trade it...

Anybody want to trade???

Vent Over!!!

I need help finding the right bike for me!!! I would like something I can maybe do a triathlon with and ride to work (Is it possible??). I can’t see myself hitting a lot or any trails with it and I want the max price to be around 1 Grand??? I only really know about BMX Style bikes and this last one was built for Street.

I am 6"3 and 200 pounds.

Thanks for Any Help,

Steve

Your about my size but I have not need for a BMX...as for that bike I suggest parting it out on EBAY. This way you should get more money and people will want pretty much everything. As for a tri bike its pretty hard to get one thats good for training, racing and commuting as they don't handle all that well for regular getting around if you want a real triathlon/TT bike. You may be better off getting a road bike then putting aero bars on it when you actually race. Plus this way you can ride in group rides with local cycling clubs and things(most aren't very open to triathletes riding TT bikes since they don't steer as well in tight group riding). Also you'll be able to lock it up without as much worry. As for what to get I suggest getting the nicest used bike you can for your money. You can do that and get a great bike for that price or you can get an OK bike new for the same that you may want to upgrade right away making you spend even more money down the road. I suggest you get maybe a 58-59cm frame or an XL(some brands don't do the cm thing). Also make sure it has at least shimano 105 components if its new and if your lucky you can get Ultegra on a lightly used bike.

Thanks for the info...

I am looking into a Trek Portland?? I heard it makes a good weekend race bike. Looks like I am not even going to get half of what I put into my BMX. Damn things don't hold value!!! Even if Go EBay I am not getting too much...

For used bikes around here it's not looking to good!!! Most are under 58cm.

Steve

A 57 may be fine if you get a long stem...or if your arms aren't really long for you body. As for EBAY the nice thing is that that also means you can get a good deal too.

Yeah, I'd say if you are serious about triathlons and have money to get a lower profile machine like a time trial bike. I agree with potter (dang you potter!) in getting a road bike with tri bars on it if you are looking to have one bike. Certain ones are easy to put on and take off.

But the most important thing is to get a bike that fits you. I see so many people riding bikes that they got (most often used) that don't fit them. This leads to back problems, knee problems, all sorts of problems...

I'd say generally if you were to get a raod bike, it would probably be a 60cm frame *minimum*, but probably larger, like a 62cm. (I am 6'1" and ride a 60cm [measured] center-to-top.) The most important thing to do is to GET FITTED by a REPUTABLE BIKE SHOP. This doesn't mean you have to buy a bike there; but it's like trying on a pair of shoes, then buying them somewhere else. With bikes, get a size that you can then adjust later with the "minor" adjustable parts of the bike such as seatpost, stem, angles, etc. A proper fitter should adjust your leg extension length approximately 96% of full leg extension at the bottom of your stroke (pedal circle).

Good luck!

Wow thats a long tube...I'm your height and I honestly think I could ride something a bit smaller than my 57 and still be really comfy. I'm considering as shorter stem since my back is so flexible that its fairly easy for me to ball up and pedal in the drops with my knees between my elbows.

Yeah Potter I am going EBay for selling my old bike. I think I might be able to make a summers living on there selling things Ha-Ha.

What do you guys think of this bike for me? - http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/solo/solo-10.aspx

I can get one of these for just over $800 new right now...

Also some people were trying to warn me about drop bars. I thought they were standard on these bikes??? Other options?-will it be hard for me to start with these.

Thanks

OK, Trek 1500 looks to be my best bet on a new road bike. I know I am all over the place here, but I am learning as I go.

I am hoping to buy new right now - because I am going to ride the bike into the ground and would like every last Km left in it. Unless a good used deal come my way before hand.

Potter thanks for the tip on the 105, ultegra. That helped me alot, other people are are always upgrading.

Yeah I have long arms to match my body. I am thinking 60cm or 63?? I should go get on one and I will be getting fitted. I don't want a sore back or any problems down the road.

Yeah a 61 or XL should be fine. As for the bikes I think a low milage Ultegra bike will last you longer than a new 105 set up. Either way the frame will last you much longer than the components. You'll never run the frame into the ground unless your going down with it and a good aluminum frame should last you a very very long time if you take care of it. Your shifting components, chain, and gears are the only thing you'll "need" to replace...although cyclists always find excuses to need new stuff...I know I do.

NO I didn't get the bike - I am hunting for a new Specialized Allez Elite Double right now. I found one for $1500CAD - I am waiting to sell some things on Ebay that I have up before going with the purchase. This way I can grab everything within a week. I assume I will be getting the bike in about 3-4 weeks.

I did the bike fit with the book between my legs and I came up with a 60cm frame.

Get this - I being 6'3 walk into a bike store - Small man walks up to me he is about 4'11. I ask do you have any 60cm road bikes and say what brands I would like. He does not have any of them - so he tells me you don't need that big of a bike I have a 56cm here thats perfect for you.

He gets me to sit on the thing and the seat is set so damn high - he is trying to sell it to someone way taller then the bike is designed.

HE says see it's perfect (it was a low end GT) you can take it for $1200 - I am thinking wow what a nice guy trying to rip me off when I can get 4 times the bike for $300 more.

Then he goes on telling me that the entry level bikes I am looking for are over 2 grand.... I was Howling on the way out trying to be polite as this guy is trying to take advantage of me because I said it's my first road bike.

And he said he rides a top of the line Specialized worth over 4 grand blah blah. So the guy is actually into road bikes trying to sucker me into a horrible deal and knowing it.

I wonder if his bike is a 63cm

Damn people eh!!! HA-HA

Rant over

Steve

You can always go to a Performance Bike. They probably won't have any experts but they'll have someone that knows something. They also carry Fuji Bikes which aren't great but you'll get better components on a decent bike for much less money...however I don't know how they are with maintanence. My local bike shop will tune you up for a year...some do a month and some won't do any.

• 2 weeks later...

Update,

I am going with the Specialized Allez Elite...

The store is going to be ordering it for me as I need the bigger 61cm they make. The store uses a professional bike fit system and the specialized 58cm did not work with my body.

I am extremely excited to get this bike and ride as much as possible!!! Right now all I am wondering about is what and when to change the gears. Can you tell I have not been on a geared bike for a long time. I know the basics by pedal effort - but I know there is a proper technique.

Also they say to buy a triple as a beginner - There are hills around here but not a ton. I would like to build max strength and this leads me to the double - Any Ideas???

Steve

If its not terribly hilly you can handle a double as a beginner. I was 285lbs and I handled a double(my small ring was a 40 and my big ring was a 55) with an 11-21 cassette(they accidently forgot to put the 11-23 on and I never noticed until I got a new wheelset after my first 8,000 miles). Anyway a standard double(53/39) is fine for anyone thats not extremely overweight or living in a hiller area so long as your cassette has a 23t cog...you could also get a 12-27 which may be even better since you'll rarely need an 11t cog anyhow. I'd say go with the double now(or a compact double which looks like the way to go nowadays...and I kinda wish I had one). Its not cheap to truly go to a double from a triple. Most places will just take off your inner ring and adjust your front derailleur which isn't they way to do it. You should get a new bottom bracket and new cranks...also its habbit for cyclists to never get something just as good...so you'll wind up getting a crankset rated better than your present triple making you spend even more money.

However if you live in a very hilly area(like where I'll be moving in 6 months) it makes a great deal of sense to get a triple or a compact cranket(with a 48/34). I have a $550 crankset and I'll likely have to get something else when I move I love it but I can't see myself putting a 34t cog on my bike. I'll try a 12-27 but I doubt it will be enough for me.

Anyway as for your pedaling just make sure you unweight your back foot for regular pedaling and push foreward a bit at the top and a bit back at the bottom. Once you do this for a couple days you probably won't have to think about it. If your sprinting or climbing you may also find it useful to really pull with your back leg to aid in acceleration or climbing.

• 3 weeks later...

OK,

I am a proud owner of a white/red Specialized Allez Elite Double...

I got Shimano 151 carbon shoes and 105 clipless pedals, I am pretty happy with this bike. Damn I love speed - planning some crazy rides around town. I'm looking into some Time Trials the end of summer...

I am already looking into things to upgrade haha - thats because I love upgrading anything I get. I am going to post some pic of it sometime next week when I can get a hold of the family digital camera!!!

Cheers,

Steve

Can't wait to see it. That was actually gonna be my first bike but they said it would take a month or two before they got the doubles in so I got something else at a different shop. Anyway upgrading is great and I'm addicted but luckily I don't have any cash now. SO what are you upgrading??? Wheels are always very nice Then I'd say rear derailleur(probably my next upgrade). Nice shoes by the way I have a cheap pair of Shimano 98s which were my first but I keep them for training(I think I will always train in a non-carbon shoe) but I have 151s for racing.

Yeah I am thinking of some Spinergy Xaero Carbon SS wheels??? I will wait until I beat the crap out of these stock wheels - I guess a couple months depending haha...

for the dérailleur I'm thinking Sram - what are you looking to get?

is it advisable to mix match my groupo?

Do you want the deep rimmed ones??? I've got last years model and love them but I wouldn't use them for anything but races unless your roads are perfectly smooth. They go out of true fairly easily and are a pain to straighten.

In terms of my derailleur, I'd like to try FSA and finish my bike with that eventually but I'll probably go Ultegra or Dura ace first....as for mixing as long as its all Shimano compatible everything should work great...its just that some people are picky about appearance.

Ahhh ok - maybe I will pass on those wheels then, the roads can get bad at times.

Yeah I think I will do the same now and go Ultegra or Dura Ace because I am only riding 105 right now. Anything is going to feel like a big upgrade - I might just see how far I can wait for new components and buy another bike already to go.

Well here are the pics of my new bike - I took them in my bedroom and could not get the best of shots. I was also wiped, just getting in from a ride - damn some people like to see how close they can get their cars before hitting you. Probably the start of my fun with motorists!!!

I am trying to source some cheap carbon cages so the lightest alloy I could find will have to do for now. I also have to lower my bars - but I am just getting use to the bike, so in a couple weeks.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/SJ8_photos/NewSpecializedBike003.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/SJ8_photos/NewSpecializedBike002.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u304/SJ8_photos/NewSpecializedBike001.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Sweet looking bike What do you think about that saddle??? Dave Noisy(vegan track cyclist) just got that and loves it to death despite it not having much padding.

As for the upgrade don't rush it. I've been on 105(other than hubs and cranks) for over a year and its great. You'll notice the difference once your power increases and maybe during climbs but all in all you should be able to get a lot of milage out of them. I got 14,000miles in a year on my first bike completely built with 105. The only thing I changed was my chain after about 12,000...which is well over what is reccommended but I never had a problem. Also for now, an upgrade will cost you around $1000 to go Ultegra and much more for Dura Ace(most likely if you change everything other than wheels) to lose maybe a pound but just imagine someone paying you $1000 to lose one pound.

The saddle is awesome - only downfall is it being white ha-ha and in a crash it is not going to survive. I already caused a small tear by putting the bike in the car and rubbing it against something - nothing huge though.

I will stick with 105 - makes me feel more comfortable after reading you got so much mileage on 105. I think I will lose the pound myself right now at 200lbs I think I can get down to 180 with some good definition. I remember reading guys my height at crazy low weights like 160-170 range. That might be way to skinny for me!!!

Its rediculous how skinny those guys get. I have a friend that is just naturally skinny(I've seen him eat and he eats a pretty normal amount) and a cyclist...he's 6'4" and under 140lbs. Anyway those guys do so many miles you can eat and eat and eat and you'd still lose a ton. Its not uncommon and its fairly neccessary for pros riding in European tours to train at 500miles or more per week. I've done two of them and when I do I slim down quite a bit the next week once I get to relax. Just imagine doing that as a ruitine. 8hour rides are ritual for the pros at the big time and your body just molds itself to that.

500 miles a week - I am going to have to train my way to that kind of mileage. Maybe I will get down to 170 with 6% body fat all depends how my body reacts to so much cycling. I will be eating like a tank none the less and I am like you (potter) - I can pack it in there...

6'4 at 140 pounds is pretty skinny and I am trying to picture it!!!