Bike Suggestion and Help...

Actually I got to 500miles in a week fairly quickly...in about 18 months but if it weren't for school I think I could have done it earlier. I did a 400 mile week after about 6 months but many of those miles were two a day miles and the weather was very nice to me. Also your probably starting in a better place than I did but I don't know if your as lucky(or as stupid) as I was since I was able to do that by living off of excess student loans(same thing bought my bike) instead of needing a job.

Yeah - I don't know how fast I am going to get up there I hope to get some crazy distance by the end of this summer. Right now I am not working and I am taking advantage of my free time every morning I will go for a ride...

I am now sporting some damn painful saddle sores oh my does it feel great!!!

Any good training programs besides just getting out there to ride?? I don't get put off or bored by them like most...

I really think for the first year nothing is better than simply riding as much as possible. Maybe once or twice a week it may be good to to some interval training but its best to just put in mileage. When you do do interval training I'd say keep them long with a fairly bearable heart rate then have fairly long rests. What you want is to build a base and treat your first year as a long pre-season.

I am use to Interval training on my stationary bike... Although I have taken 6 months off of exercising because of how bad I wrecked my shoulders, even running hurt somehow...

I need some Lycra/spandex shorts because my Saddle Sores are killing me - I walk around after a ride like I am still on the bike

I think you are right just get out there and ride as much as possible - These basic rides are already proving how out of shape I have become in just 6 months!!!

Oh yeah I got those Ghetto Cages off my bike - now I have specialized ribcage pro carbon cages - much better looking!!! also picked up some specialized BG pro gloves that feel like a dream - you gotta try them.

You really need to get cycling shorts...otherwise it will prevent you from having kids and everyone will tell you its because your vegan Spandex won't do. They must have a cycling pad(chamois).

ahhh - ok I thought they made both Lycra and spandex with pads - guess they don't use spandex for bike shorts...

Any bike short suggestions - I am thinking specialized and I seem to be hooked on their products...

Also Potter you have been a really good help through getting me started on road biking - I appreciate it!!!

No problem...anything to get more vegans on the road

As for shorts you've just gotta try some different ones and hope they work. They aren't independent of the saddle so some shorts work with some saddles and some shorts work with some people. But for myself I have one good pair of Nike Shorts, an Organic Athlete Kit, my club's kit, a low level Pearl Izumi, and three pairs of cheapo shorts from performance. To be honest with you other than my expensive Nike shorts the performance brands cheapest shorts have been the most comfy...however they are terrible in terms of durability. Seams on the inner thigh are notorious for ripping but you get what you pay for. My Pearl Izumi shorts are OK but not great and the Organic Athlete kit is fine for rides from 30-50 miles, and same goes for my team kit which is made by Giordana. For anything over 50 I normally use my cheap shorts or my Nike shorts for long easy rides where I won't leave the saddle.

One possible important thing is chamois butter. Mostly all are not vegan but a few are. I never use them but some people never go out without it. I just save 1/3 of my daily avocado and smear it on the pad....just kidding. If my bum is bugging me a bit I just put a bit of vegan moisturizer/lotion on it which works well enough for me.

Damn things don't hold value!!!

Steve

Try selling a 20" trials bike! I'm just keeping my bike because I can't sell it complete for enough $. People just want the brakes, or the freewheel, or the cranks... Would love to get a road bike, but can't justify the cost yet.

Why do you have a 20" trials bike??? And how much would you sell the wheels to me for??? What about the cranks??? I'm not interested in the whole thing

Potter: what chamois butter is vegan - I looked up some and could not find ingredients... I actually thought you were serious about the avocado for a second there - I was thinking in my head is this guy for real... HA-HA

I have some Jason vegan lotion and I don't think it would work as well for me!!!

Trev - I had to part my whole bike out and I never came close to what I put in!!! Try eBay and look for an active forum for those bikes to post the bike on. Thats what I did and put the parts the forum members don't want on eBay!!!

I know what you mean it's very frustrating not getting what you know the bike is worth as a whole. Good Luck and I hope you get a road bike cause they are too much fun!!!

This should really help you up your mileage since its something you'll no longer have in your head(hopefully). Honestly on my 400+mile weeks my sore bum is all that keeps me from doing that every week.

I can only guess on how sore you can get after 400+ miles of riding a week...

Quick Question: on your shimano 151 shoes is the laminate coming away from the carbon? I notice bubbles underneath the laminate forming and I guess this is normal??? My LBS said it's not a big deal and happens from flexing and I didn't think I could get these shoes to flex damn...

Well the shimano logo in the middle of the shoe - the laminate is cracked now and it kinda pissed me off... Thats with no abuse as I always walk on the cleats with no problems.

what are your thoughts potter?

I've actually never had that problem since I only wear these shoes when I race(maybe 4 days total). They also shouldn't be flexing. Even cheap carbon shoes are supposed to be able to handle something like 800lbs of pressure per square inch before flexing and these aren't cheap carbon shoes. I'd go back and complain again.

I called shimano and they said I have to send the shoes in and that leaves me without shoes - this is killing me because I am also dealing with paint chipping off my front fork so I gotta get a new fork under warranty...

I will take the shoes in and talk to them again - I will post pics in 5 mins, I am taking them now of the bike and shoes!!!

I feel like i am attracting negative bike problems here!!!

ok here are the pics - it was really hard to take pictures of the shoes as they are so shiny so I circled the area where the laminate is coming away from the carbon...

Also on the bike it was hard to get a proper picture as well but the paint is bubbled and all you have to do is touch it and it falls off. It's not the biggest problem but it will only get worse so I gotta get it replaced.

Edited by RawSteve

Actually I just looked at my shoes and I can see some air under the lacquer but it appears to be just a sticker under the clearcoat...not a big deal since the clear coat covers the whole bottom of the shoe and you walk on it anyway. The heel is under the same layer and walking on it doesn't make it chip(I think this is because it is so soft). However this isn't happening to the big decal under my foot so it may be a bigger problem for you.

Alright - So Shimano will do nothing for me and says all of the 151 shoes are like that due to manufacturing....

Specialized is either going to replace my Fork which I am hoping for or they are going to give me a free Cyclocomputer or something else.... I am not sure if I should get angry with them and demand a new fork if they don't come through on the replacement.

So they now have pictures of the fork and I am waiting for the LBS to give me a call with the outcome on the warranty claim... I am going to be compensated none the less for the paint problem!!!

okay cycleguys.....

I have noticed a clicking sound while pedalling.

90% of the time on the downstroke on my rightside, there is a clicking noise (single click) when the pedal is at about 1 o'clock

It seems to happen only when I push down with force. It doesn't happen if I don't apply force.

any ideas?

Hmmm,

It could be that the right crank arm is a little loose!!! Also it could be the Bottom Bracket coming loose? Grab that crank arm and see if it is loose at all.

If it is the BB then I would think it is moving as your left foot comes down taking the load from the right crank arm and then you pushing back with the right causing the click... You may need a new BB or just get it tightened.

Lets see what others have to say as well...