Hello everyone! Make way for the new guy :-)

veggieGuy

I am 32 year old veggie guy. Me and my wife decided to become veggie when we got married. Been veggie for 7 years now. No chance of eating meat, fish etc etc EVER again. Sorry that I am not a vegan like you people. I have no desire to be vegan as such. I am happy being a lacto vegetarian. I hope I can still hang here as a normal veggie

I have joined this forum to burn little bit of excess fat that I put on last year. One year ago I was 65kg and had 11% body fat. Now I am 71kg with 16% body fat I still look slim/fit to people but only I know the love handles that are appearing and the lower abs that are disappearing.

I want to become fitter and take my body fat % back down to 10% level.

Anyway I will post later as I need to eat breakfast with Mrs

Welcome VeggieGuy!

Thanks for joining our group! We have some non-vegans floating around here and as flanders mentioned, you may find yourself inspired to be vegan later on down the road.

You are welcome here and we hope you enjoy the forum.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome

Hello & Welcome!

Questions: What part of the world do ya call home? Of curiousity, what are yr reasons for being veggie?

I am in Central Europe. Well when I met my wife (then girlfriend) we both felt same way about non-veg food. We both hated the concept of putting flesh/blood from another animal in our mouth. For us it's equivalent of biting and eating human flesh. From a younger age we did not like it but parents made sure that we kept eating it. So that was the main reason. Health benefits are added bonus. We are both Atheists so religious reasons don't come into it. I have not missed meat once in last 7years and I have absolutely no craving for it. I have a hard time walking past meat counter at my local supermarket. They have the tofu section in the middle of meat section

Also, what turns ya off from being vegan?

We both can't stand the taste of soya milk. Yes we have tried flavoured ones but that soya smell is in all of them. I like eating cornflakes and again I need milk for that. Rice milk...soya milk all have this smell thing that makes me want to puke.

It's basically milk and cheese that separates us from being full vegans.

My wife has Thalassemia (minor form) http://www.cooleysanemia.org/sections.php?sec=1 which makes her feel very weak sometimes. I don't want to prevent her from a good source of energy. Plus I don't consider consuming milk/cheese to be ethically wrong on the same level as eating meat.

We both love eating Tofu. Although I have been reading reports that tofu increase the risk of breast cancer So we have cut it down a lot from our diet. Don't know what to believe these days.

We could cut cheese down as it fattening but milk would be difficult.

Btw my wife is an aerobic + Yoga teacher so pretty fit

EDIT- Robert is there a section where you have given tips on your cut look?

Edited by veggieGuy

Welcome! It took me a little bit of time to get used to soy milk, but I eventually came to like it more than normal milk. That certainly helped in the transition to veganism. I don't eat cold cereal anymore, so I don't use it all that often. We are nice people and you are certainly welcome.

We both can't stand the taste of soya milk. Yes we have tried flavoured ones but that soya smell is in all of them. I like eating cornflakes and again I need milk for that. Rice milk...soya milk all have this smell thing that makes me want to puke.

We can't stand soy milk, either. If it's available where you are, I recommend trying some almond milk or rice milk... those are the ones I usually buy. The vanilla is our favorite for cereal, but the plain ones are good too. I've also tried oat milk, but I didn't enjoy that one. Also, almond milk is VERY easy to make yourself (and one of our forum members, SmartMonkey Ani, has a video posted here somewhere demonstrating) and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the homemade almond milk was the absolute best stuff I've ever poured on a bowl of cereal.

Welcome! We're glad you're here.

Also, almond milk is VERY easy to make yourself

Welcome! We're glad you're here.

Won't almond milk be SUPER fattening? I bought some Mango flavoured soya yoghurt and milk to give it one more go but that smell/taste

Thanks for the welcome

Welcome.

My SO and I both hated soy milk at first too. We used to be huge consumers of cow's milk (i.e. seven litres/two gallons a week...EACH). I started using Rice Dream on my cereal nearly four years ago and right away didn't even notice a tangible difference. I don't actually "drink" any kinds of milk, but my SO drinks chocolate almond milk fairly regularly. We now use soy milk in our smoothies too.

If you're in Europe, doesn't that mean you get Cheezly? http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/products/cheezly/content.php If so, then you have no excuse for eating cow's milk cheese, from what I've heard. Rumour has it Cheezly is fabulous, and we're just dying to get it over here in Canada.

Sometimes it just takes a while to get used to new things. If you're in it for health benefits, as you mentioned, I'm going to guess it's only a matter of time before you're weaning off the dairy. Even if cows did not suffer tremendously and have their babies stolen from them just after birth and slaughtered to make "veal" at just a few weeks old, health reasons alone would be enough to keep me from ever touching dairy again. (It's been over two and a half years for me now.) It's like liquid poison, as far as I'm concerned.

And to think, my favorite meal in the world used to be double cheese pizza (no other toppings), fettuccine alfredo and chocolate cow's milk!

Welcome.

My SO and I both hated soy milk at first too. We used to be huge consumers of cow's milk (i.e. seven litres/two gallons a week...EACH). I started using Rice Dream on my cereal nearly four years ago and right away didn't even notice a tangible difference. I don't actually "drink" any kinds of milk, but my SO drinks chocolate almond milk fairly regularly. We now use soy milk in our smoothies too.

If you're in Europe, doesn't that mean you get Cheezly? http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/products/cheezly/content.php If so, then you have no excuse for eating cow's milk cheese, from what I've heard. Rumour has it Cheezly is fabulous, and we're just dying to get it over here in Canada.

Sometimes it just takes a while to get used to new things. If you're in it for health benefits, as you mentioned, I'm going to guess it's only a matter of time before you're weaning off the dairy. Even if cows did not suffer tremendously and have their babies stolen from them just after birth and slaughtered to make "veal" at just a few weeks old, health reasons alone would be enough to keep me from ever touching dairy again. (It's been over two and a half years for me now.) It's like liquid poison, as far as I'm concerned.

And to think, my favorite meal in the world used to be double cheese pizza (no other toppings), fettuccine alfredo and chocolate cow's milk!

Pam thanks for your post. Soya milk or rice milk will DEFINITELY not go down my throat. I rather not consume cheese and milk than drink soya/rice drinks. The smell and taste of soya/rice drinks makes me want to puke up. There is no two ways about it...time will not make me like soya/rice drinks.

The cheese I eat is vegetarian cheese (Rennet free). I will look for the Cheezzly although it's definitely not in any of my local supermarkets.

Could you please give me more info or links on negative effects of milk?

I have never been big fan of milk anyway as I hate it's smell(not as much as Soya drinks smell though). I can only drink milk when mixed with chocolate. Veggie cheese I do like though.

Pam is that you in your avatar? Nice

Questions-

1- I absolutely LOVE Tofu but is it true that Tofu increases the risk of breast cancer in women?

2- What are best sources of iron?

3- Is the sugar found in fruits dangerous? What about pure fruit juices that I can buy from supermarket (sugar/concentrate/additives free)?

Pam thanks for your post. Soya milk or rice milk will DEFINITELY not go down my throat. I rather not consume cheese and milk than drink soya/rice drinks. The smell and taste of soya/rice drinks makes me want to puke up. There is no two ways about it...time will not make me like soya/rice drinks.

The cheese I eat is vegetarian cheese (Rennet free). I will look for the Cheezzly although it's definitely not in any of my local supermarkets.

It probably won't be in regular supermarkets... most of the good stuff is in health food stores.

Could you please give me more info or links on negative effects of milk?

There is a lot of info about this in the book "The China Study." http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html The guy who did the research started as an omnivore who'd grown up on farms, but by the end was a vegan.

"The Food Revolution" http://www.foodrevolution.org/ is another one. The authour was the heir to the Baskin Robbins Ice Cream fortune, but turned his back on it and is very anti-dairy.

Just google "milk" and "cancer"...

Pam is that you in your avatar? Nice

Yes, that's me. Thanks.

1- I absolutely LOVE Tofu but is it true that Tofu increases the risk of breast cancer in women?

That's very inconclusive and debateable. What's known for sure is that hormonal birth control increases breast cancer.

My cousin died of breast cancer last year at age 32. Before she died she did lots of research into why she had gotten it. She died believing dairy and bovine products had caused the cancer. She had no qualms at all about eating soy. Of course that's anecdotal.

2- What are best sources of iron?

FYI- men don't usually have to worry about being short on iron so much.

Iron absorption can be increased when it's consumed with vitamin C.

There's a list of food rich in iron towards the bottom of this page: http://www.bloodbook.com/iron-foods.html

3- Is the sugar found in fruits dangerous? What about pure fruit juices that I can buy from supermarket (sugar/concentrate/additives free)?

No it's not dangerous... well, maybe if it's all you're eating. Fruit juices are ok, but you should try to get some fruit in actual fruit form so that it also has the fiber content. It's added sugars that really need to be limited.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome veggieguy!

I've read some great advice from my fellows, e.g. the amazing homemade almond milk which I TOTALLY recommend. Since you add a lot of filtered water and the almonds are raw (they have to be raw) it's not that fat and so easy to digest - the enzymes in it will help enormously!!! I love it!! And try any nuts you like to find more favourites! I love hempnut milk, too! :P

Enjoy!

Cheers and greetings,

Welcome veggie guy!

Other folks have make great points and great suggestions. I hope you will read up more on dairy...what is dome to cows to make them pregnant, produce more milk and obtain the milk is horrifying....

Many humans are lactose intolerant some of them do not even know it but suffer from symptoms.

Humans are the only animals that drink another animals breast milk and the only animals that drink breast milk as adults. Cow's milk is meant for calfs and goats milk is meant for baby goats etc.

It is worth looking into and feeling goos about your choice, by being educated about it.

Thanks guys. Technically I am already a "paper Vegan" as I never liked the taste of milk and dairy products. Ok I like taste of cheese (Veggie cheese) but the fattening part of it puts me off. Eggs I never liked either and don't eat them.

So my current diet is 99.9% Vegan and obviously 100% Veggie as I am VeganMan...I mean VeggieGuy

I will be starting a new threat I mean thread on fitness forum. Maybe you guys could add your tips there as well

The link to the blog is-

viewtopic.php?p=85865#85865

I will have more questions and stuff there. So please answer if you can

Thanks for the welcome

We both love eating Tofu. Although I have been reading reports that tofu increase the risk of breast cancer So we have cut it down a lot from our diet. Don't know what to believe these days.

Can anyone tell me whether the above statement concerning Tofu is true. If it odes indeed increase the risk of breast cancer, how so?

Welcome to the forum!!!!