Who's got an "injera" recipe?

mkiojon

We've been talking about Ethiopian food in a different thread so it made me think of this. I have checked online for recipes for injera but I have failed at making the ones that I have come across. I am having difficulties with the fermenting process. Has anyone successfully made injera and if so, what's the secret? Thanks!

viewtopic.php?t=5614

I don't make this nearly enough but it is fantastic and makes a TON!

Injera (Ethiopian Flat Bread)

3 cups self-rising flour

½ cup whole wheat flour

½ cup cornmeal

1 T active dry yeast (equiv. of one package)

3 ½ cups water

*Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.

*Cover and let set an hour or longer until batter rises and becomes stretchy.

*The batter can sit for as long as 3-6 hours if you need it to. (3 hrs is what I prefer)

*When you are ready, stir batter if liquid has settled on the bottom.

*In blender, whip 2 c. of batter at a time, thinning it with 1/2-3/4 c. water. Batter will be quite thin.

*Heat a 10-inch or 12-inch non-stick frying pan over medium to medium-high heat.

*Pour batter into heated pan (1/2 c. if using a 12-inch pan; 1/3 c. if using a 10-inch pan) and quickly swirl pan to spread batter as thin as possible. Batter should be no thicker than 1/8 inch.

*Do NOT turn. Injera is cooked through when bubbles appear all over the top.

*Lay each Injera on a towel for a minute or two then stack in a covered dish to keep warm. (VERY important to rest on towel before stacking!)

Isn't Ethiopian injera typically made with teff flour (not wheat)?

It is - but the fermentation takes days and I've tried many different approaches to injera making and find this one the best - slightly fermented without excessive time needed. It's gotten rave reviews from those I've served it to in the past.