no more raw almonds?

Did anyone else see this?

Starting in the fall of 2007, truly raw almonds will not be available in the USA or Canada. The Almond Board of California, which oversees virtually 100 percent of the almonds grown and consumed in the United States and Canada, is now implementing plans to pasteurize all almonds at temperatures up to 158 degrees (F) and yet have them intentionally and falsely labeled as "raw."

This is nuts!! I am so mad!! Seems like a done deal and that we cannot do anything about it, aside from planting an almond tree in your yard...

California Almond Board link:

http://www.almondboard.com/Programs/content.cfm?ItemNumber=890&snItemNumber=450

Newstarget information:

http://www.newstarget.com/021776.html

Yeah very few nuts are "raw" anyway.....this is what is confusing people...the word "raw"

Anything can be called "raw" it just has to follow certain rules and you can legally falsely label something "raw".

The mere fact that it has a label in the first place is a good indication that it ain't truly raw....

Thanks, Bigbwii. I wasn't aware of this.

Can you expound upon these rules or point me to a resource?

Are the almonds heated when the shells are removed?

Where is the line? I thought one definition was that if it can sprout, it is considered raw...

Where is the line? I thought one definition was that if it can sprout, it is considered raw...

I think the main point is that "raw" is not one of those words/terms protected by the government/FDA/other authority of food, and that you can do lots of things involving heat to food before you can't sell it as "raw".

There seems to be no guidelines for raw foods but organics foods have pretty corrupted guidelines.

Check this out:

http://www.stoplabelinglies.com/examples/examples.html

what about buying them shelled - would those be pasturized as well?

That doesn't really mean anything either...if they legally need to be pasturized then they need to be pasturized. Shelled almonds are also almonds

They were all treated anyway. I've heard that real raw almonds taste kinda funny(even from people that like them a lot) and most people would never want to put a fuzzy green nut in their mouth. With the exception of produce this stuff has been processed at least in part even before these scares in order to make them taste remotely good, or make them somewhat easier to sell to us.

Is the USA one of the worst countries in the west, for bastardising their fresh foods?

It seems so often that I read about the US's food being modified with cooking, heating, chemicals, radiating etc that I am unsure if it's now one of the worst places to get good food from.

I don't hear half as much about UK and Europe's food being messed with. Also livestock here is supposed to be more humanely farmed.

Now I ask this more on the bases of, is Europe just terribly ill informed of what is going on with our foods? I know without a bit of delving on the net etc that you actually find that meats in the UK aren't being farmed without some serious doctoring. So is fresh food just as bad if not worse here than the rest of the world? I can’t believe the UK is even close to being an angel when it comes to food; just it seems the US gets so much more bad press.

Anyone have any links to worst farming/food production in the world?

There are actually places much worse than the US. China, Mexico(actually most of S.America) and India are big examples of places that destroy land with pesticides and fertilizers. As for fresh food its relatively easy to get some things really fresh but almonds are something that you can't really find raw regularly anywhere unless you grow them on your own, or if you live in SW Asia.