I went to see a nutritionist and it was bogus!

Brett

This is one reason I rarely post anymore, because it is so very frustrating to read half-truths, assumptions, and sometimes blatantly wrong statements that are accepted as truth, posted by people without credentials or legitimate sources.

I hope that you continue to post as I know I, along with a lot of people on this forum value the input of people who have real knowledge in a subject.

I think most people are able to read through a topic and make there own opinion based on the opinions (both factual and those that aren't so factual) and make up their own mind as to what is a reasonable and legitimate view point or valuable information. To do that correctly though, information on all sides of an argument is needed.

Anyway, I think people posting half-truths and assumptions, as you put it, would drive me to post more and not less. I know if a topic starts which is in my area of expertise (Geology, Cartography and GIS, so probably not that likely) I will be sure to post if someone posts something I believe to be misleading.

I dont know if we have any experts on the forum. Experience yeah, but I'm not aware of any credentials aside from yours meg.
True, I just edited to try and sound less pretentious. There is tons of experience on this forum in a wide array of subjects, I just get frustrated because the science doesn't back a lot of it up, when it comes to nutrition.

I agree with you on that. However:

There are in my experience a few things that are known, and have been known for quite a while, when it comes to nutrition.

When comparing whole-foods, plant-based diet to other diets it's to my understanding that the research is pretty strong towards the plant-diet, when it comes to health. We don't know exactly why though. It might be the phytonutrients, it might be the fibre, the smaller amount of fat (or saturated fat) or something else or a combination.

So, do dieticians know about this not so secret secret? If so why isn't it seen in the dietary guidelines delivered by R.D's, M.D's and PhD's to the public? Why is it when my friends at work come back from the R.D. and tell me that they should eat more fish and less carrots to ease the diabetes? People who live on unrefined plants don't get diabetes2 to the extents that meat eating people do. It's not the plants that's the problem.

The reason why I'm pissed off is because I believe that they (the R.D's) are actually contributing to the early, slow and painful death of the poor suckers who gets caught in their net. It's just a murderer with a fancy title. Since they have this fancy title people listen to their advise about low-fat cheese and stake and ignore my rants about spinach.

I know there are R.D's who realise that one should eat more unrefined plants. But for every such R.D. there will be 5 dairy pimps.

It's noting personal, I like you and your posts, it's just frustrating to hear people come back from the R.D. with this message of early death.

I, at least in part, agree with you. I know that in my studies, meat and dairy are largely just accepted as part of the diet, so examing diets without them is not emphasized, not because they're not healthy, but because the vast majority of people we see are omnis. However, in my experience, the one thing that is repeated again and again and again is EAT MORE PLANTS.

Sadly, on a national level, there is a lot of lobbying. Meat and dairy are very powerful and very well funded, so there's not likely to be any upper level condemnation of their products. Individuals? I don't know a single RD or almost RD that doesn't recommend more veg, more fruits, more veg, more fruits.

Again, thinking of our general audience, a message of ALL plants isn't feasible. Most Americans won't even consider it. We do what we can to help people make healthier choices working in parameter they can accept. Perhaps to a vegan, that message comes across as promoting unhealthy lifestyles...however, to your standard SAD diet, eat no meat isn't reasonable, eat more fish can be done. Specifically regarding fish and carrots and diabetes btw, that does make some sense. Carrots = very high sugar content, fish = none. When you're talking about controlling blood sugar, that's important.

I'm tired and rambling....but perhaps this makes sense and you can see where RD's are coming from. What may seem like "murder" to a vegan is STILL better than the typical American diet, and the typical American won't even consider vegan.

I, at least in part, agree with you. I know that in my studies, meat and dairy are largely just accepted as part of the diet, so examing diets without them is not emphasized, not because they're not healthy, but because the vast majority of people we see are omnis. However, in my experience, the one thing that is repeated again and again and again is EAT MORE PLANTS.

Yeah, I know. In Sweden, almost every day, we have "health" related news in the news on TV and about a week ago they told us that folate is a good thing against alot of things (well, duh!?). They told us that folate is present in veggies and fruit (of course) and it's added to bread. The problem is that the folate added to bread wasn't as efficient and it could actually be harmful with too much of it. Seems hopeless, right?? The "experts" didn't know how to solve this puzzle

I know that alot of RD's actually tells people to up their veggies and fruit intake but as the first poster told us, if someone tells the RD that he ONLY eats plants they more often than not seems to flip over and start rambling about cottage cheese and fish.

My grandfather was diagnosed with diabetes about 8 years ago. He ate a lot of fish(he's filipino) and rice along with veggies and dairy/eggs since he lived in America from 1985-2001 before moving back to the Philippines. I got him to basically give up meat and fish(he may eat it once a week), and he wouldn't even consider eating dairy anymore. I never thought of fruit sugar being a problem and I advised him on his diet. He eat bananas, mangos, pineapple pretty much every day(they are virtually free) and hasn't had to take insulin for over 4 years. He now uses his tests for elderly locals since his are covered by medicare(he's a US citizen). Even high GI fruits have not given him trouble despite the fact that his diabetes got to the point that he began losing some of his sight(my great grandmother went completely blind for the same reason).

Re: Diabetes -

I really don't know. I have only a general education about diabetes, and a physician or CDE would be a better source of information. The sugar content thing is only my "off the top of my head" hypothesis. Certainly diabetics should still be eating fruit and vegetables, I was just thinking that in his specific example, carrots would affect blood sugar more rapidly than fish.