Vitamin D2 - Don't live in Oregon without it...

I think even in Portland you get enough UV rays through the clouds to produce vitamin D since you can also get enough sun under clouds to get skin cancer.

I think even in Portland you get enough UV rays through the clouds to produce vitamin D since you can also get enough sun under clouds to get skin cancer.
This is what I've heard as well. Dang you potter.

Also, some soy, almond and rice milk brands are fortified with it, too, but I'm not clear on whether the sources are vegan. Not sure if you are a raw vegan, but that's possibly and option.

I honestly wouldnt worried about. Plus alot of stuff is fortified with it. like rice milk for example

Yeah, he's eating raw though, that's the problem.

Yes exactly, and I ran the nutritional content on a couple weeks worth of food and had exactly zero vitamin d intake (in addition to zero b12 and zero selenium). I really did not want to supplement, because I want to see for myself what being 100% raw feels like...

I do take a b12 spray right now, and eat two brazil nuts a day, and I consider those my only supplements, but I think I am going to start a vitamin d. I also spend most of my day indoors so I would guess I am not getting nearly enough from the 20 minutes to an hour outside in the rain.

DV-

Thanks for the tip on the VegLife tablets, do you take them?

Unless you live in the northern parts of the U.S. There was a study done a few years ago that looked at this and it found that the sun exposure it the northern states (in the winter) was not strong enough for most people to sythesize adequate vitamin D. Now, I know you're wondering how this study was conducted. Well, they used foreskins from circumcised boy babies (don't worry, the parents signed a release form). But seriously, other studies have been conducted using humans and the circulating Vit D in their bloodstreams. Additionally, those over age 50 don't always sythesize vit D well due to their kidneys not converting it to its active hormone.

Recent theories on osteoporosis implicate lack of adequate vitamin D. And this makes sense when you consider that the highest rates of osteoporosis are among the countries furthest from the equator during winter months. You just need to visit Portland in winter to believe how this may be true - we are PALE in this state!

But don't take my word for it. Google Vitamin D and osteoporosis or sun exposure. There are some reliable web sources out there that reference their information. This has been a popular research topic in the last decade.

Recent theories on osteoporosis implicate lack of adequate vitamin D. And this makes sense when you consider that the highest rates of osteoporosis are among the countries furthest from the equator during winter months. You just need to visit Portland in winter to believe how this may be true - we are PALE in this state!

The highest rates of osteoperosis are also in countries with the highest dairy consumption, and is almost unheard of in other countries until American food corporations move in and fatten them up with our junk.

Here is a bit of Veganpotter wisdom Reptiles that eat vegan(tortoises, some lizards) must bask in the sun for vitamin D. Lizards that eat insects also need to do this. However snakes that often live underground get vitamin D from the bones of animals they eat.

I would definitely supplement Vitamin D or get a 25 hydroxy vitamin D test to see what your level is, it should be around 30 or higher.

Vitamin D deficiency can cause a host of problems! Most Americans are Vitamin D deficient!

These tests are over $300 but I plan on doing one someday when I get some extra cash! Right now I take close to 2,000 iu's of D2 .

D2 is half as potent as D3 so more is necessary.

For the newbies - D2 is Ergocalciferol and is Vegan and D3 is Cholecalciferol not-vegan (comes from the fat of sheep wool).