Awesome Match Sprint Races

Guest veganpotter

Yeah I am cool aren't I

It'd be over big time if you unclip from your pedal since you'd probably fall on the track if that happened...even if you didn't you'd be 3 seconds or so back which is a lot at those speeds. I really love watching these races...I can't wait to take part in them...once I learn to do a track stand for more than 15 seconds I'll actually be able to do pretty well. But for now I'll stick to TTs, points races and match sprints in a not so tactical idiotic way where I go to the lead and pray to keep it.

What kind of times did you put out during your short track career.
I don't remember. I honestly don't remember. I'll look back in 89 and 90 and check it out. I did beat a couple local road pros in an "A" miss-and-out race. That was my *real* moment of glory.

Gear ratios usually depend on the event you are doing, or even the time of year you are in due to training. In other words, if you are doing match sprints, you don't want to be riding a 54 x 12 (or bigger gear) if you are out of shape. That's a great way to blow out your knees until you adapt.

I rode a 49/15 when I was in Portland(rental bikes) but my new track bike has a road crank and I'm keeping the big ring. So I'll be riding 53/16 which I'm definately strong enough to handle it in pretty much every even other the match sprint where I think I could top out better with my spin and I'd probably switch my ring out for a 51t or maybe even a 49t. Its so short that I can handle pedaling over 150rpm(Dave Noisy...another vegan cyclist can hit 180 fairly easily but he rides a smalller gear...but I wouldn't call it a tiny gear) for the "sprint" part of the race so a small gears acceleration is very useful.

• 1 month later...

I really want to do them. Its not my strength by any means but it looks like fun...especially since I'm terrible at track stands. Sometimes your own clumsyness can be entertaining.