The Maker's diet

CollegeB

I ran across a book today called the Makers diet (http://www.makersdiet.com/). This book from what I saw continues the belief that god intended for people to eat meat, and that a plant based diet is one which is inferior to a flesh based one. The book does cover many different diets and points out pros and cons of each, but as I saw with the vegan diet the Author likes to point out the availability of protein. As if protein was the most important nutrient on this planet. I recommended that the author come by and look at our site. I am glad we are all living proof that dead animals are not necessary to sustain life no matter how many people believe to the contrary.

Good point about the protein, CollegeB.

I was thinking about the Atkins diet today. Does anyone know his background and where the money for his research came from? It seems like the kind of diet that someone would come up with if he was on the payroll of the milk and dairy industries... just a thought.

I was at the gym the other day with my vegan shirt on, and an old friend of the family was there, and said he eats meat. He said 'I know you don't eat any of it, but I feel that I need the protein'. Frighteningly, he is a doctor, so you'd think he'd be recommending at least a vegetarian diet as being healthy! Instead he was talking rather uneducatedly about presumably my lack of protein. Stupid really given that I was bigger than him and in superior shape. I didn't make a scene though.

I had a friend say something like that to me. He asked that after I work out I feel I need protein. This is how he justified eating a hamburger or chicken. Can't do it with plants he said. Even though he is just like the doctor weaker than me and more out of shape.

• 6 months later...

I ran across The Maker's Diet at my library last summer. It wasn't what I expected. I was surprised and felt like it was nothing more than the Atkins' approach, only with a religious bent.

I'm glad that the author has regained his health, good for him, but I wonder...I'm not sure about what ... but I wonder.

Jon

Good point about the protein, CollegeB.

I was thinking about the Atkins diet today. Does anyone know his background and where the money for his research came from? It seems like the kind of diet that someone would come up with if he was on the payroll of the milk and dairy industries... just a thought.

Robert Atkins background was cardiology. He paid for much of his research through the sales of "The Atkins Diet" book. Since he frowned on many dairy products I don't think they (the dairy industry) were in to big of a hurry to pony up the cash. The beef industry loves him though, and although interest in his diet seems to be waning, it has had quite a bit of influence in the low glycemic movement that now seems to be gaining steam. The interesting thing about low glycemic eating it appears that it can be practiced within the guidelines of a well planned vegetarian or vegan diet.

Jon

CollegeB and Richard:

It sounds like they know that your way is healthier than theirs and they are just trying to justify their unhealthy living by making exuses.

I get this alot. When I tell people I'm a vegetarian they come up with dumb stuff like:

yeah but I...:

1. ...need my protein. -> Use pea protein, it's got more glutamine than whey and it doesn't trigger insulin.

2. ...need my stake. -> No you don't. I haven't had meat for 2 years, I thought I'd miss it but I don't. Vegetarian food tastes different, not better, not worse, just different and you'll get used to it.

No worries mates, they know that yours is the healthier option. When they try to excuse themselves just nod along and smile. It's their decision to make and when they're ready they will start asking questions instead of excusing themselves.

Same thing with bad alcohol behaviour. Sugar addicts. Etc...

I for one think that a low carb diet is garbage and bad for you. I went on the Atkins once and my gall bladder went nuts with all that fat and I had diahhrea (sp?). Most people get constipated but not me. No fiber to bind things up!!! I dumped that diet. I, for one, perform better on carbs (quality) and low protein. Protein is necessary but not the end all, be all and not nearly in the amounts that some advocate.

He said 'I know you don't eat any of it, but I feel that I need the protein'. Frighteningly, he is a doctor, so you'd think he'd be recommending at least a vegetarian diet as being healthy!

Yeah, there's certainly no protein whatsoever in anything but a dead animal carcass (but wait...I wonder how that animal made all that muscle...hmmm).

• 1 month later...
I for one think that a low carb diet is garbage and bad for you. I went on the Atkins once and my gall bladder went nuts with all that fat and I had diahhrea (sp?). Most people get constipated but not me. No fiber to bind things up!!! I dumped that diet. I, for one, perform better on carbs (quality) and low protein. Protein is necessary but not the end all, be all and not nearly in the amounts that some advocate.

I don't know if it is garbage, but I do know I had the same issues as you had. Gall bladder went ape crap and then I started to get intestinal issues. I found other things to occupy my time rather than sit on the thunder bowl.

O40

I don''t think he DID any research (though there was one test they did that proved some of the negative side-effects of the diet). He certainly didn't publish anything in any juried medical journal.

It does seem like something that was created to bolster reduced sales of animal products (or to promote sales of Atkins products?)

I'm agnostic, but I do remember Bible study class. In Genesis, God says something about the Garden of Eden having fruits and greens and seed-bearning plants, and to you they shall be 'meat' (translation of word that means "food") . Don't recall the Maker saying anything about "here are some animals to kill and eat." I would assume most people who buy a book called "The Maker's Diet" would read the Bible...have they forgotten it?

I watched atkins on the now defunct phil donahue show on MSNBC? I think is was MSNBC. anyway donahue said, so you dont favor vegetables, atkins reply , Oh i favor dark green ,and leafy green vegetables, as a matter of fact I eat more of both then most vegetarians. Now I did not put quotes arround those statements as I do not have the transcript or a tape. but I do remember him finishing the topic with the statement that he "ate more dark green and leafy green vegetables then a vegetarian" (that part I do remember) he described his supper as about 1/3 animal, 2/3 dark green. very different from his book, well I never read his book, but it is very different then the ideas the folks I met ,who are on the diet, have of the diet. interesting.

I know a woman who has been on Atkins for a couple of years. She lost about 40 pounds & has kept it off, & her figure is great. But her skin is awful - & she used to have very nice skin. Also her hair is falling out. She says it's coming out in clumps, which is probably an exageration but her hair is looking skank.

She is seeing a doctor who is doing all sorts of tests. He knows she's on Atkins, yet he never suggests her diet might be the problem.

There are lots of ways to lose weight, including getting cancer and having a limb amputated, but they aren't all healthy.

I guess I''m not surprised the doctor wouldn't connect the state of her skin and hair to diet. If it can't be treated with a pill or a scalpel, most allopathic doctors don't know what to do.