Soy cheese products deceive consumers, violate vegans

Neven

If you visit any natural grocery or health food store these days, you'll notice there are a lot of soy cheese products available. The implied message from the name of these products is that they are made with soy milk, not dairy products, and are therefore either healthier for you or appropriate for people who wish to avoid cow's milk for health reasons. But what they don't tell you is that virtually every soy cheese product on the market is made with a dairy product. That ingredient is casein, a milk protein.

It is, in fact, casein that is associated with most of the health problems and complaints described by people who consume cow's milk and dairy products. Those complaints include chronic sinus congestion, constipation, and even symptoms resembling asthma. That's because casein is a difficult protein for human beings to digest, which is why it is present in smaller quantities in human breast milk.

http://www.newstarget.com/003217.html

Even non-dairy creamers made for the general public have casein in them...I simply don't trust anything unless it says VEGAN on it...otherwise I read labels religiously.

What rice cheese was it. I've yet to see one in a store(only on line). When I first went vegetarian I had a white rice cheese that was great but it wasn't vegan.

Did you ever try the old one??? I'm wondering if its as good because I really liked that...probably more than any soy cheese other than Follow Your Heart

• 3 weeks later...

I found this out the hard way, eating a nut loaf my mother prepared from soy cheese, and it made me very uncomfortable due to my eating a lot of it

For me the best bet is to use natural alternatives for the creaminess I crave from cheese, like a soaked and blended nut or a bit of avocado. I believe in that enough now that I do not crave cheese, I crave fat, and eat good fat!

follow your heart is delicious! i am always on the look out for something better, though.

Tofutti makes a mean sliced cheese. The american tastes very accurate, it melt and I love it. I haven't purchased it for a while though because its maybe only a bit healthier than the real stuff.