My Detox Story

pretty awesome..

about what you said.. it's easy to stop eating meat and other animal products, but it's really hard to stop eating condiments and cooked food.. yep... i agree, i'm trying really hard.. making slow changes... and learning how to include raw stuff on the diet whenever i can..and i still have a long way to go..

• 1 month later...

I've been here reading about the Raw diet, and that link was good reading. I've been vegan for 13 years, but I feel it's not enough. I've always had digestive probs, no matter what I ate - exept a fruit/vegetable diet. And more foods are giving me problems.

In the 90's, I read a book where the author said he believed humans are fruitarians. Since then, I always thought we were meant to be fruit-eaters(like the other primates).

In the 90's, I read a book where the author said he believed humans are fruitarians. Since then, I always thought we were meant to be fruit-eaters(like the other primates).

Most Primates aren't fruitarians. It seems there are some fruitarian priamates, but I think they also consume insects...not really sure. Out digestive system is most closely related to a chimpanzee I believe, which consumes primarily fruit, some greens I believe, insects, bark, some animal foods like eggs and the occassional meat. Animal foods are <10% of a chimpanzee's diet.

Your correct about our primates eating insects...ethically I see no problem with humans eating insects so long as they aren't farmed. Just as I see no problem with a cheetah eating an antelope. As for primates and meat eating most of the meat they eat is of their own kind...its mostly only smaller monkeys that eat eggs. As for fruit...mountain dwelling primates don't eat so much fruit but other primates do eat nearly no greens and mostly fruit. Insects are mostly something eaten when food isn't as abundant however they still eat some when edible plants are abundant.

There are things in my diet that are harder than others to quit. For me, it's not really related to wheather it's cooked or not. For example, I am not easily addicted to microwaved, frozen spinach. I believe fruits are in that sense more addictive. Salt in food can be addictive to me (I want mor junk when I eat it, you know the feeling) eventhough the salt and the food itself can be raw.

I've been like 95% raw now the last two weeks or so because it's suits me better during summer. Falafels have been hard to give up but not frozen, microwaved spinach.

I know that the addiction is triggered by different stuff for different people so it might just be me.

I think we're closer to orangutans and some gibbons than we are to 'knuckle walkers' like chimps and gorillas. Orangutans and gibbons (I think) are almost exclusively fruitarian. There's been some new research very recently about the evolution of upright walking that I read and it talked about all this. I'll have to look for the articles again - I'm no zoologist.

As far as raw vs. cooked for me - I'm about 75% to 80% raw these days. Some meals with partial cooked content, and some oils. Very little processed food - mostly fruit and greens. It's working well for me. I definitely feel lousy when I go to a restaurant (even a totally vegan one) and have a cooked meal. Too rich, and it upsets my stomach. Fruit? I can eat it all day! I had lots of detox when I went vegan, and it started all over again when I started eating a lot more raw. I was around 95% raw for a few months this winter - detoxed bad!

@offense and Trev: there seems to be quite a few members going this way these days. I am more than 90% raw for some month now (except 2-3 meals per week for social reasons) and detox is still hard. I also experience how hard to digest cooked food is and how much it makes me feel bloated and tired the after eating and how much Isuffer the next day.