Carnosine?

I really think the article is completely wrong. Beef consumption was not common among asians before WWII yet their rates of heart attack, obesity and other problems remained low until introduction of dairy and beef to their diet, not to mention all the processed flour. I found a more interesting article about glycation. It apparently is associated with the cooking process.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20021114/slowly-cooking-food-better-for-diabetics

As of now I don't really think vegan diets add the so called 14yrs of life...however it may add 5 but I really think the difference is in years of quality life without drugs to extend it. I don't have any scientific evidence but it just makes sense. Also it stated how the benefits of going veg differ later in life but they didn't mention how long these people were veg. Of course everyone turns veg later rather than earlier other than people born vegan so I think a lot of those surveyed may have nearly met the point of no return where you can't decrease meat based disease completely. Anyway the biased vegan estimates of lifespan may wind up being true in the end assuming mad cow becomes a real problem affecting 5-10% or more of the population over the next 50 years. I find it hard to believe that the average vegan will live to be over 90(adding 14yrs to the ave. lifespan of 76.5 or so in the US). I just don't think people are supposed to live that long. Sure some will but at the same time...many naturally healthy vegans will still die younger do to many causes.

I really think the article is completely wrong. Beef consumption was not common among asians before WWII yet their rates of heart attack, obesity and other problems remained low until introduction of dairy and beef to their diet, not to mention all the processed flour. I found a more interesting article about glycation. It apparently is associated with the cooking process.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20021114/slowly-cooking-food-better-for-diabetics

Asians consumed and still consume seafood, which contains carnosine. Based on my findings, it seems that excess sugars/starch can lead to glycation, which vegan diets rely on, especially to get adequate protein (legumes and grains are starchy). On that noteI'm gonna supplement it just to be sure of proper health.

Once vegetarians reached the age of 80, however, their heart attack risk was only 8% lower than that of meat eaters.

What are the of of an omnivore ( from our generation ), in the U.S.A to live up to 80 years?

----

artystik.. isn't that funny? you replied his message the day after, but at the same time. 10:58..

what are the odds?

Edited by andgbr

Legumes and grains have way more than enough protein. Many vegans not trying to build muscle probably eat way too much due to the poor protein taboo. As for suplementing lots of non coastal asians(lots of china and lets not forget people from India who typically didn't eat much of any seafood until the British came into play) lived for centuries without seafood(due to no refrigeration) and were fine. Also this kind of supplementation is new and who knows what the side effects are considering its completely synthesized.

As for meat eaters living to 80 the ave. lifespan in the US is 76 or so and I can imagine its that low due to so many people dying in their 60s which means lots of people live to be 80 on lousy diets...its just that they aren't healthy once they get there. I can imagine at least 35% of the population reaches 80yrs of age. And will continue to do so thanks to drugs assuming Mad Cow doesn't kill millions.