Calories and raw food

If you are 100% raw, you must be eating pounds of fruits a day to get your daily calories. If you like to eat on budget, that is expensive.

What do you substitute for? Brown rice is a cheap substitute for me. It covers the calories and cut the food budget.

What are some high energy fruits? Other than bananas..

People that eat RAW normally don't need to hit standard calorie requirements since they food they eat is so much more dense in nutrients. Last summer I went raw to see how I felt with my training and I hoped I'd lose some weight. Well I lost about 5 lbs and gained it back all while eating barely 2000 calories. This is after 3-5hours of bike riding with "maybe" one day off every week. I'm also a muscular 200lbs and 6'1". To me it seems calories are only important if you eat crap. I've got a friend who is a yoga instructor and also a raw foodie who eats only 800 calories a day. Granted she's only 5'1" and 90lbs but she also runs a few times a week.

If you are 100% raw, you must be eating pounds of fruits a day to get your daily calories. If you like to eat on budget, that is expensive.

What do you substitute for? Brown rice is a cheap substitute for me. It covers the calories and cut the food budget.

What are some high energy fruits? Other than bananas..

Who says raw foodists need to eat pounds of fruits/produce a day, for calories!!!

Calories are for selling weight gain supplements in my opinion.

Cooked food rules of nutrition do not apply to a raw diet.....

Eating a lot of rawfood has more to do with transitioning from cooked food and comfort eating.

Also in my experience food does not give me energy, getting rid of cooked foods and internal cleansing gives energy!

Food uses up energy becausev you got to chew it and digest it and raw food uses up the least.

I've got a friend who is a yoga instructor and also a raw foodie who eats only 800 calories a day. Granted she's only 5'1" and 90lbs but she also runs a few times a week.

According to science you need at least 1200 calories just to be alive.

If you eat crap like fried chicken and french fries you get way too many calories. So calories are not really an issue there...just nutrients.

On SAD, calories aren't a big deal but on a raw diet they are because most fruits and veggies are not calorie dense. Meaning you have to eat more food to get same calories as you would get eating a SAD meal.

Who says raw foodists need to eat pounds of fruits/produce a day, for calories!!!

This explains best, what I mean.

"You have to eat a larger volume of fruits and vegetables to obtain the same amount of calories that you do from cooked food, because fruits and vegetables are not as calorically dense." Graham

This explains best, what I mean.

"You have to eat a larger volume of fruits and vegetables to obtain the same amount of calories that you do from cooked food, because fruits and vegetables are not as calorically dense." Graham

Then try it and see what happens....all you'll end up doing is force feeding yourself/overeating and bloating yourself out, yeah that works in the beginning because your still transitioning and used to eating high volume dense cooked foods but when you've been raw for a while you don't want big meals.

Be careful who you quote, find out about the person your quoting from, find out where their focus is because every one's info is different, no one guru has the whole raw thing licked, they are just giving you what works for them, D.Graham says you got to stuff yourself so you stretch your stomach, he recommends you eat huge meals, that's cool but it won't work for everyone, so I say just listen to your own needs and do what works for you.

According to science you need at least 1200 calories just to be alive.

Sometimes science is wrong. A calorie is not measured by what our body does with food. Its measured by burning food in a lab to see how many degrees a sample of food can increase 1 liter of water. In the human body its mostly BS. Going by science and the amt. I burn every day training and breathing including the amount I eat...I should have been losing over 10lbs a month for the past year...however I've been the same weight this while time. Also I know others who eat under 1200 calories a day as well. Its not all that uncommon for efficient yogis to eat such small amounts of food and life healthy lives.

As for calories compared to cooked foods it IS less important with raw foods because you get so much more with the calories you eat. Why in the world do I get away with eating less when I'm raw then when I'm not(in terms of staying the same weight). I eat less food in mass which means definately less in calories as well. I know this doesn't work for everyone as I also know raw foodists who feel they need to eat tons of fat...but it does work for many.

I'm wondering if this will be the last thing proved wrong by dieticians. It is obvious the science is terribly wrong thanks to people like you...I eat a bit more but the amount of calories some fit raw vegans eat should really knock some sense into people's heads...especially since your not losing a few pounds a week(you couldn't if you tried in your case) which the science would claim to happen.

I just found out that I take in 600-900 cals a day....

So much for the 2000 cals that's recommended.....

wow.. i didn't expected for that.. i knew there was a difference between caloric needs, but i didn't know it was such a big difference.. wow..

I just found out that I take in 600-900 cals a day....

So much for the 2000 cals that's recommended.....

wow.. i didn't expected for that.. i knew there was a difference between caloric needs, but i didn't know it was such a big difference.. wow..

Most people who eat cooked food really don't even need 2,000 calories a day. There were days that I ate probably 1,300 - 1,500 and I kept my size on. Keep in mind that *most* people (Or at least non-meat eaters) don't eat 100% cooked food.

Brendan Brazier only takes in around 2200 Calories as I recall reading somewhere? Imagine the abuse he puts his body through for training, just goes to show how much fuel you need.

I notice most endurance athlete's will eat up to 6 thousand calories on training days!!! that is crazy if you ask me...

I know a hardcore raw vegan fitnes enthusiast who will some days put away 10000 calories... but not every day... another tiny, slim female who burns over 3000 cals a day, puts away about the same... maintains her tininess.

needs are individual, i think you figure them out with experimentation. also with raw food the quality of the nutrition is much higher... over time the healthier and fitter you get you probably find you need less.

in the beginning, while you are healing from the effects of cooked food and detox, i think there is nothing wrong with putting away a couple of thousand calories or more. your body will tell you where to go from there...

Brendan Brazier only takes in around 2200 Calories as I recall reading somewhere? Imagine the abuse he puts his body through for training, just goes to show how much fuel you need.

I notice most endurance athlete's will eat up to 6 thousand calories on training days!!! that is crazy if you ask me...

Last time I heard he ate around 10,000 raw calories a day.

Last time I heard he ate around 10,000 raw calories a day.

How the heck does one eat over 10,000 kCal's a day, RAW???

Zack,

I could of swore I read that he ate just under 2500 calories because he is getting so many nutrients from the raw foods.

I will have to find where I got that from or I may be wrong!!! but I am pretty sure...

Steve

Brendan may eat 10,000 to store for a competition but most of his personal meal plan puts him in the 2,400-2,700 range...despite the fact that the science would show he burns anywhere from 7-10,000 calories during most of his training...this is all very very wrong.

As for 10,000 calories raw its easy...just eat a bunch of avocados.

Brendan may eat 10,000 to store for a competition but most of his personal meal plan puts him in the 2,400-2,700 range...despite the fact that the science would show he burns anywhere from 7-10,000 calories during most of his training...this is all very very wrong.

As for 10,000 calories raw its easy...just eat a bunch of avocados.

That's just what I remember rob saying a while ago.... probably was for competition.