Food allergy? Can't figure out what's wrong

As of the last few days, I've been having some extreme episodes of my lower abdomen feeling extremely full and bloated immediately about halfway through most of my meals. Sometimes its gotten so bad i've almost suspected a severe food allergy or possible cancer? It all started with a tofu stirfry with corn/carrots/peas and a little bit of garlic and black pepper as seasoning. That was the worst reaction thus far. Suspecting garlic as it has given me some past episodes of bloating, i have cut it out for two days. STILL, it keeps happening about the first few bites of every meal I have. The fucked up thing, with all the fullness sensation and bloating in my lower stomach (right between groin and belly button.. during and after meals) i virtually have little to no gas. Just a lot of chaos going on inside that i can't pinpoint. Sometimes the full/swelling sensation spreads to the sides of my lower abs. So my question is... what could this be?? My meals vary from whole grains, to nuts and legumes to occasional organic egg whites and tofu (i'm a vegetarian). The only thing that i have left to suspect right now is the black pepper (ground and organic) seasoning i throw on some of my dishes. But i highly doubt this.

Make sure you've got enough fiber and are well hydrated so things flow through your intestines well. Might also want to look into probiotics. Do you eat a good amount of fruits/veggies? If not, up the consumption of those rather than grains.

Lots of fruits and veggies, some raw and some cooked. In fact, I think adding Cauliflower recently might have F-ed me up the most since it contains a digestive inhibitor (as soy is known for). I also eat a cup of organic nonfat yogurt (with l. bacillius bacteria) every other day. Hmm...

That sounds very uncomfortable. might want to look at some of the posts about food combining.

As I have improved my diet my stomach and intestines have become more sensitive to what I eat (or maybe I have become more sensitive to when something is wrong).

Cool that you are concerned with your intestinal flora, I just started working on that myself. I am not going the yogurt route, but that is a tried and true method from past cultures (although they used unpasteurized milk, some from goats, which is a whole different thing from my understanding).

Have you modified your diet recently? Changed supplements? Physical activity? Stress? Climate?

Good luck!

if you want to pinpoint the problem, maybe you could only eat one thing at a time with like an hour or two in between or however long is necessary, and see if anything causes the reaction.

Maybe its a combination of things?

Have you tried cutting down on the egs??? I don't think eating organic eggs helps you over eating non organic in the immediate sense(only in the long term) and if your suffering now it must be something your eating now or something that has kicked in from the past. It could be a bunch of things though...corn, eggs, soy whatever...maybe even gluten and or wheat.

Have you tried cutting down on the egs??? I don't think eating organic eggs helps you over eating non organic in the immediate sense(only in the long term) and if your suffering now it must be something your eating now or something that has kicked in from the past. It could be a bunch of things though...corn, eggs, soy whatever...maybe even gluten and or wheat.

I avoid gluten and wheat effortlessly, it could be a combo of things. I don't eat a lot of eggs, usually every other day or so i'll have an egg white omlette. Stress/emotional anxiety may be a factor, just never know.

if you want to pinpoint the problem, maybe you could only eat one thing at a time with like an hour or two in between or however long is necessary, and see if anything causes the reaction.

Maybe its a combination of things?

I really like this idea of you can handle it. I have done mono eating and while my digestion works pretty well there were some surprises For example: I have troubles with pears if they are not VERY ripe.

Yeah, processed soy, that could be a big one.

Could be anything... and I think most people have weird digestive things happen every once in a while. When it happens to me, I either do the mono eating thing for a couple days like Kon suggested, or else I do a short water fast (just skipping a meal or two is often enough) and give my body a rest and chance to correct the problem before I burden it with more food.

Because this came on suddenly and with foods you normally eat, allergies wouldn't really be my first guess. Wouldn't rule it out, of course, but it wouldn't be my first guess.

An allergy could be at many levels...some people can die if they are around dust given off by peanut flower so an egg every other day could do the trick(I'm not saying thats it though)...but some people can eat considerable amounts of gluten and tolerate their alergic reaction.

My husband (vegan) had really uncomfortable lower-intestinal problems for a couple months until, through trial and error, he found that the Silk Soy Milk he'd been using every day (on cereal, etc.) was the culprit. He cut that out of his diet and the problem disappeared.

But now he must avoid soy milk, soy icecream, etc., although tofu seems fine. It's just the over-processed soy that was giving him problems.

Luckily there's always something to fall back on...AKA Rice Dream

Exactly!!

We picked up some of that last night, it was 90 degrees out. Normally we eat very unprocessed, so it was a total junk food concession...

Where did you go...a grocery store or do any of your wonderful dining spots have rice ice cream??? I'm going to be up in the twin cities in a few weeks and it would be nice to throw it down a bit.

Nah, vegan restaurants can be counted on the fingers of ... a double amputee... or something.

Got the RiceDream at Whole Foods.

Actually, Ecopolitan is vegan raw. And Pizza Luce has some rad vegan options. But there's not many dining out choices in this town.

http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=28

http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=62