Lots of questions from a newbie

Hello,

I'm very excited to have found this site. I'm a 27 year old female who's 5'10 1/2 inches and 135 pounds. I would like to lose another 5-10 pounds and tone up a lot. I walk on the treadmill between 30-90 minutes 5-6 days a week and do some light strength training 5 days a week. I have been doing this for 6-7 weeks and can't see a difference in my body at all. I don't want huge muscles or anything my goal is to look something like this lady

http://michelleberger.com/index.html

How do I go about that? I'm not new to fitness (running,walking, etc) but I am new to bodybuilding/strength training. Thanks for any tips at all. And thanks for this great site.

Generally a 12 to 15 rep range for you would be a good amount. Since you do strength training 5 days a week, its better to get the form of each exercise down first. Dont lift a lot just yet. For example, use the bar for the bench press and get that technique down. Same as for the rest of the body.

I saw taht lady that you posted the link to. THere are many girls that are really strong yet have a great physique: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_118vix

Her bench press is 285 last time I checked, and that was a while back. SHe also takes no steroids. As you can see, bodybuilding wont give you huge muscles necessarily. It is all a science. Lifting heavy can either be achieved through neuralogical adaptations or muscle fibers. The more muscle you have, it will burn more fat. A lb of muscle burns about 35 calories while a lb of fat burns 2. It is beneficial to gain muscle. Light training will result in a plateau (meaning you can get any higher) sooner or later.

Also how is your nutrition like? Nutrition plays a really big factor in this.

Feel free to list everything such as nutrtion, workout schedule, etc on here. It would be better to do this so I can see where you are deviating (if you are) and I can help you more extensively. Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Hey NaturalBlonde,

Thanks for joining our group! We've had this site around for about 3 years now but the Forum is brand new, not even 3 weeks old yet. It is great to have you here.

I'm just about to head off to the gym and then visit my Dad, but I'll get back with you soon. Kollision and others on here are great about answering questions.

All the best,

Thanks for the info Kollision. And thanks for the welcome and the site Robert. The main thing I want is the abs and arms of the lady I mentioned earlier.

http://michelleberger.com/index.html

How hard is it to get abs? I think 135 is a healthy weight for my height but I have so much fat on my stomach still It's my problem area. I'll try to tell you alittle more about what I do as far as diet and nutrition goes. For the past two months i've been following the plan 5 factor fitness. A few friends tried it and had great results but I haven't seen much of a difference yet. The meals are pretty much the same things everyday. Here's a two day meal plan so you can see the sorta things i'm eating.

Day 1

Breakfast - Kashi cereal add blueberries and soy milk

Snack- Soy Protein Shake

Lunch - slice of bread w/veggie turkey and lettuce tomato on top

Snack 2-brown rice cake w/ veggie salami fat free mustard

Dinner-1/3 of protein (tempeh,) 1/3 of steamed veggies, 1/3

of spinach

Day 2

Breakfast-same

Snack-same

Lunch-pizza

pizza recipe

ezekial flourless wrap

3 tablespoons of tomato sauce

1 tomato

6 veggie pepperonis

1/2 cup soy cheese

Snack 2- 1/2 apple and slice of soy cheese

Dinner-Veggie sausage patties for lean protein and side salad

Fitness plan

Monday-Fri 30-90 minutes on treadmill

Strength plan

Mon-Fri I lift 12 pound weights In the reps mentioned below

Mon -3 sets of 30 reps of dumbbell chest flies

and dumbbell tap squats

5 reps of 10 upper body crunches

Tue-3 sets of 30 reps single arm dumbbell row and dumbbell stiff-legged deadlift

5 reps of 10 dumbbell lateral flexion/extension

Wed- 3 sets of 30 reps dumbbell chest press and dumbbell lunges

5 reps of 10 lower body crunches

Thur-3 sets of 30 reps of seated db shoulder press and db pullovers

5 reps of 10 upper body twists

Fri- 3 sets of 30 reps dumbbell hammer biceps curl and db lying triceps extension

5 reps of 10 double crunches

Does anyone have a better plan? Should I be eating more or eating less? Working out more or less? Sorry for all the questions but I admire you all Thanks so much for any and all advice.

Hello Naturalblonde, Im sorry I didnt welcome you but went straight to it. Welcome to this forum Abs are a tough area because it is one place where there are a lot of fat deposits, same as the thighs. Some people struggle with that area even at 10% body fat.

First we need to know your body fat percentage. Do you know where you could get this done?

135 is a good weight and is definitly not anoerexic. Following meal plans that are static (meaning they are one way and dont change) is not really good because this goes against the Principle of Individual differences. One plan may work for one but not the other. Reasons being body type, genetics, how your current exercise and diet is, etc. I looekd over your meal plan and its hard to say if its good or not, seeing that I dont have the macronutrients (carbs, proteins, fats) there as well. Its good to make it a habit of looking at calories and such especially when dieting to get toned and cut.

I personally think that your strength training is in need of a makeover. First of all, seeing that you are starting weight training, you should start off with the gym about 3 times a week for resistance training. Do full body exercises (squats) whereever possible and workout the entire body in one day. Focus on getting the technique down. If its too hard to do a arm curl with proper form, use the cable machine curl or have a partner to assist in the motion and work your way up. Same with the bench press. If it is hard to balance the bar, use the smith machine (the bar on the machine) or a partner.

Heres a good example:

1-3 Week Full Body

Leg Press 10-15 2 Sets

Incline Bench Press 8-10 2 Sets

Concentration Dumbbell Curl 10-15 2 Sets

Machine Shoulder Press 10-15 2 Sets

Tricep Cable Extension 10-15 2 Sets

Lat Pulldown 10-15 2 Sets

Crunches 25 3 Sets

Leg Curl 10-15 2 Sets

Bench Press 10-15 2 Sets

Sitting Dumbbell Curl 10-15 2 Sets

Standing Calf Raises 10-15 2 Sets

I hope that this information helped. Again feel free to ask questions, there are people like Rob and others that are good in this field Again sorry for not welcoming you the first time, welcome mate!

My scale tells body fat and i'm really ashamed to tell you what it is. This is very but it was 17 last I checked. So what is a good calorie range for me to try to eat daily if i'm trying to lose weight/ lose body fat and get tone? And what are some good workouts I can do at home? I have a small home gym that I prefer to workout in instead of going to a real gym. I know I must sound really dumb to all of you but i've always been fairly thin so i've never really cared about working out much. I've only recently starting getting into the whole fitness and bodybuilding stuff. Thanks for the welcome and for everything else

No need to be embarresed naturalblonde, that just makes the effort worth while. BTWIm prolly more than that since Im bulking so dont feel alone As for a good calorie range lets first see how much your body burns at rest.

This is called Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is the amount of calories you burn while at rest such as lying down, however not asleep.

Step 1: Convert bodyweight to kilograms

Pounds / 2.2 = kg

135 / 2.2 = 61.4

Step 2: Calculate equation

Men: 1.0 x bodyweight (kg) x 24

Women: 0.9 x bodyweight (kg) x 24

0.9 x 61.4 x 24 = 1326.24

Step 3: Determine lean body factor

Lean factor 1 for women 14% to 18% bodyfat. The multiplier is 1.0

Step 4: Calculate BMR

number from step 2 x lean factor multiplier

1326.24 x 1.0 = 1326.24 Calories

So you burn around 1326.24 calories while at rest. Now we need to find out how much calories you need to consume. Seeing that you run for that amount of time I'd say you are a moderate fitness buff.

Daily Caloric Expenditure

BMR x Fitness Level (1.65 for moderate fitness buff)

1326.24 x 1.65 = 2188 Calories

So your BMR is 1326.24 and Daily Caloric Expenditure is 2188 Calories. You could start with a 1-2-3 Ratio, meaning 1 part fat, 2 part protein, 3 part Carbohydrates. Ill leave this for now, just in case you have questions.

So you think I should eat around 2,188 calories a day? I usually only eat 1,000 - 1,500. If i'm not losing weight on that low amount of calories a day will I lose any on a higher calorie diet? And what does the 1 part fat, 2 parts protein, 3 parts carbs mean? I mean in a meal what would that look like? Thanks again for all the help. I'm very new to all of this can't you tell

On a very basic level, 1 part fat, 2 part protein, and 3 part carbs are comprised in the 2,188 calories. Lets start with the 3 part carbs. Divide 2,188 by 2, which would be 1094. 1094 would be considered 3 parts, since in total there are 6 parts. Now lets divide 1094 by 3 so we can see how many is in 1 part. 364.6 would be 1 part. So 1 part fat would be 364 calories. 2 part protein would be 364x2, which is 728 calories.

1 Part fat = 364 Calories

2 Part Protein = 728 Calories

3 Part Carbohydrates = 1094 Calories

Your diet should consist of that many each. Heres how many calories per gram of each macronutrient

1 gram of fat = 9 Calories

1 gram of protein = 4 Calories

1 gram of carbohydrates = 4 Calories

Seeing that you usually eat 1,000 - 1,500 calories may seem good, but at the same time how much calories is coming from where? Also your level of fitness. If you workout too intense, the body turns into a catabolic state and holds back from releasing things. It is correct however when they say you need to burn more calories than you consume.

You are welcome, any time natural blonde. Remember you have to burn more calories than you take in. There is one more to this, the Zig Zag approach. Do you want to lose fat but gain total bodyweight and gain muscle or lost fat and lose total bodyweight and gain muscle or lose fat and gain muscle but stay at same bodyweight?

I'd like to lose fat and lose total bodyweight and gain muscle. I'd like to get to about 125-130 and get more muscle. But i've been having a terrible time getting below 135. I've been trying to lose 5-10 pounds for months and nothing. Tell me what to do and i'll do it Thanks again you're really helpful.

I'd like to lose fat and lose total bodyweight and gain muscle. I'd like to get to about 125-130 and get more muscle. But i've been having a terrible time getting below 135. I've been trying to lose 5-10 pounds for months and nothing. Tell me what to do and i'll do it Thanks again you're really helpful.

I am opposite of you, I am having a terrible time trying to get ABOVE 170!

Hi NB, I would really reccomend some more intense cardio. I don't think walking is going to get the results you want. Your diet looks very clean, but you may in fact need to add more calories. If you go too low your body goes in to starvation mode and holds on to fat, making it almost impossible to lose.

I have had great success in the past using the Body for Life program. Below is from www.bodyforlife.com I know Rob and Ash both have some experience with Body for Life style of training as well.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/media/images/exercise/bfl/cardiochart.gif

1. Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5

2. Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6

3. Minutes 2-6, 6-10 and 10-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.

4. Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.

5. Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Alternate weight-training and cardio workouts for six consecutive days and rest on the seventh day.

Hi NB, I would really reccomend some more intense cardio. I don't think walking is going to get the results you want. Your diet looks very clean, but you may in fact need to add more calories. If you go too low your body goes in to starvation mode and holds on to fat, making it almost impossible to lose.

I have had great success in the past using the Body for Life program. Below is from www.bodyforlife.com I know Rob and Ash both have some experience with Body for Life style of training as well.

http://www.bodyforlife.com/media/images/exercise/bfl/cardiochart.gif

1. Warm up the first 2 minutes at Intensity Level 5

2. Minutes 2-3 move from Intensity Level 5 to 6

3. Minutes 2-6, 6-10 and 10-14 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 9, maintain for one minute.

4. Minutes 15-19 work your way from Intensity Level 6 to Level 10 (High Point at Level 10), maintain for one minute.

5. Minute 20 cool down to Intensity Level 5 for one minute.

Alternate weight-training and cardio workouts for six consecutive days and rest on the seventh day.

Is that the same basic thing as hiit training?

Is that the same basic thing as hiit training?

Yes, it is the same thing really. It is cool because it only takes 20 minutes out of your day and really cranks up the metabolism all day. You end up burning more calories throughout the day than if you spent the 90 minutes on the treadmill. Of course you can always do your 20 HIT minutes and then do some low intensity stuff for 30-40 minutes after and burn even more calories.

Normally for my cardio I run hills at this split

I jog along the bottom of the hill back and forth to warm up.

Stretch

jog along the base again to start my hr back up after my stretches

sprint up the hill and run down 3x

job along the bottom back and forth for 5 mins

sprint up the hill and run down 3x

job along the bottom back and forth for 5 mins

sprint up the hill and run down 5x

5 min cool down job.

I like to run outside when its nice so this is what I normally do when it is not raining!

Bobbycore,

So you think I should try running on the threadmill with that intensity plan? I hate to run and would rather walk for hours than run for minutes but if it'll work i'll try it. I'm going to give that a try and up my calorie intake. I'll be sure to let you all know about my progress. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Hi there,

Heres the Zig Zag Approach for

Losing total bodyweight and fat while gaining lean body mass:

For 4 to 5 days each week (especially on off days and light-training days), reduce 2 calories per lean bodyweight and spread it amount 5 meals.

So basically you need to get your bodyfat, which is 17%, and multiply it with your body weight which is 135, and you get 22.95 which is the amount of pounds in fat that your body has. Minus the pounds of fat by 135 and you will get 112.1 which is your lean bodyweight. Then multiply the lean bodyweight, 112.1 x 2 and you get 224 calories. So minus 224 calories from your current diet.

For the remaining 2 to 3 days each week, add 2 calories per lean bodyweight and spread it amount 5 meals. So what you do here is add 224 to your current diet.

Don't forget to adjust your calories upward each month to meet the needs of your lean body mass.

(Hatfield 526)

This is just a general guideline and does not include what to eat, it is just in speaking of calories in general. As for what to eat, most would start at a 1-2-3 ratio. 1 part fat, 2 part protien, and 3 parts carbohydrates. That means you would calculate this out of your entire daily caloric intake.

Bibliography:

Hatfield Phd, Frederick C. (2004) Fitness: The Complete Guide (Eighth-Edition)

Well I see that many people are helping here which can be a bit of a conflict since everyone is giving different advice on working out and such, so I'll stop my assistance here. If you need me you know where to find me.

Edited by kollision

Bobbycore,

So you think I should try running on the threadmill with that intensity plan? I hate to run and would rather walk for hours than run for minutes but if it'll work i'll try it. I'm going to give that a try and up my calorie intake. I'll be sure to let you all know about my progress. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Naw I am not saying that you should do it, just presenting an option for some interval high intesity training. It is refreshing to be outside sometimes rather than surrounded by walls and mirrors.

I personally love the outdoors when it is sunny so I am drawn to it at all times. Plus you can get a good tan while running!!!

I used to be one of those girls. Actually, I wanted to look like Jessica Simpson But I started meeting and seeing all of these girls who weighed the same as me or more and were shorter than me and I thought it was unfair that they looked so good. All of them said the secret was strength training so I decided to give that a try. I realized muscle looks a lot better than fat. I'm actually very proud of myself for coming to this conclusion and it only took me 27 yrs

I used to be one of those girls. Actually, I wanted to look like Jessica Simpson But I started meeting and seeing all of these girls who weighed the same as me or more and were shorter than me and I thought it was unfair that they looked so good. All of them said the secret was strength training so I decided to give that a try. I realized muscle looks a lot better than fat. I'm actually very proud of myself for coming to this conclusion and it only took me 27 yrs

What I say in this situation is that as long as you are happy AND HEALTHY then all is ok. There is a mandatory balance in this world of skinny to fat people and that balance can be shifted one way or the other. Right now it is shifted towards the fat, thus the somewhat skinny Jessica Simpson is what we call "in shape". Lets say that the world thins up, then the skinny will actually hit below 10% body fat.

So, if you would like to obtain a leaner more muscular physique then go for it. If that is what makes you happy then reach up and push the bar as high as you can set it. Do not let anyone, especially men, that you are either too skinny or too fat.....there is no such thing. There are men and women out there who are attracted to all varieties of ladies.

I encourage my girlfriend to look the way she wants to look and tell her I will help her in getting there. And I think that is the way it should be.

• 3 weeks later...