since there's no animal health forum...

V VII Hero

I thought Id post it in here.

I was wondering:

humans need sunlight for vitamin d production, right? and we can tan if we're out in the sun, or freckles or whathaveyou.

what about cats? how do they produce vitamin d? do they need sun as well. cause my cat is out in the sun but I dont see how the sun can get to his skin when he is covered in fur.

also, I know dogs can get sunburn on their noses, but can they tan?

sorry for the wierd questions. i was just curious/

I've never thought about that. But all animals species are different in metabolism*. Some may be able to synthesize their Vitamins, some might have bacteria in their intestines or whatever

Cats are carnivores, so maybe they get their Vit D via the meat.

* That is why animal experimenting is so stupid - is has zero relevance to humans or other animal species!

One of my best friends in south africa is really white, and constantly freaking out about getting burnt. One day we were outside, she was wearing a hat and longsleeves and still spazzing about getting burnt. So i presented her the question, how are you gonna get burnt through your longsleeved shirt? And she got really pissed at me and responded "If the sun can go down into the earth and get to a seed, then in can go through my shirt!" Which i found to be an interesting response. And could explain animals getting vitamin D from the sun through their coats. However, i dont know if animals need vitamin D or how else they might get it.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thought, altho I can't really give any answers.

Chesty, as far as your friend goes: yes the sun'swarmth can penetrate the earth and it is the warmth that the seed will need to grow - like they also grow under very strong light in a green house, right? The UV rays - which are the damaging parts of the sunshine - don't go thru a t-shirt or the earth for that matter.

To my knowledge dogs don't tan, but they can get sun burn. That's why it's often advised to put sunscreen on white dogs' ears and noses on a particularly sunny day. Topher, remember the state Kiera's nose was in when you were here? It's really cleared up a lot now the sun's less strong. I'm sure it must've been some kind of sun allergy. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...