Affording a raw diet

I live in the middle of suburbia(well, at least for the summer i do).

We have ZERO independently owned stores. I do have a whole foods and a trader joes and one international market(might be independent not sure). Problem is all their produce(raw fruits, nuts, leafy greens etc) are all expensive as balls. They're organic too of course but i'm beginning to wonder how much that matters. Originally i was all about all organic everything. Now i'm about saving enough money so i'm not in TOO much debt after college.

I was just wondering how all of you fair eating raw. I wish my mom would have gotten one of those farm share things(i can't remember the name) where you buy a share in a local farmers farm and they give you several bushels of their product. I see no other way in eating raw cheaply. I may just need to take a hit in the wallet to pull this off this summer.

Wuzz up....

I think your gonna struggle period because judging by your pics you've been abusing yourself real good and when you try to go raw all of that is going to come back to haunt you and in situations like that most people turn to eating for comfort.....hence the big grocery bills!!!

I personally think you should be real careful about going raw until you really know what your getting into and what you should expect, do a whole bunch of research from reliable sources....too many people go raw without really thinking about it and then bail out because it got too uncomfortable or they weren't that commited in the first place.

Where your at now I don't think your gonna be able to avoid the big grocery bills and I really think you should think long a hard about how far you wanna go with it because the initial period of going raw is really no joke.

All the best

See if there is a community shared agriculture program in your community. I found out about one a bit late in Richmond and the few people I know say they almost get too much food. Its also rarely over $50 a month but from a grocer the food would be well over $150 for the month. Only problem is that sometimes you get produce you don't want.

I'm pretty sure they moniter the activity on those machines. atleast the store i shop at has a person that stands there controlling all the transactions on the machines and such from a remote machine..

I'm pretty sure they moniter the activity on those machines. atleast the store i shop at has a person that stands there controlling all the transactions on the machines and such from a remote machine..

The stores my friends do it at normally have a couple of teenagers who prefer to talk to each other, provided it appears you know what you're doing.

If it's a big corporate store with a self checkout you could always get stuff like avocadoes and mangoes and ring yourself up for kiwis or limes.

I hope you are kidding...that's just plain wrong.

If it's a big corporate store with a self checkout you could always get stuff like avocadoes and mangoes and ring yourself up for kiwis or limes.

I have friends who've done it, I just thought I'd throw out the idea.

money/goods stolen come out of someone's pocket...and you can bet it's never out of the big corporation's...it's always passed along to the lowest rung on the ladder.

ok I'm jumping off the soapbox....

stealing from big corporations is fine because they steal from people directly or indirectly.

just kidding

well, illegal it is, but maybe not 'morally' wrong, and i believe you would've to have a good motive to do it..

money/goods stolen come out of someone's pocket...and you can bet it's never out of the big corporation's...it's always passed along to the lowest rung on the ladder.

ok I'm jumping off the soapbox....

i know, that's messed up, but even if they do that, they're going to lose something somehow.. that's for sure.

Well my mom is now helping me out. For awhile there i think she thought i was nuts.

Big, thanks for the concerns. I did a good deal of research about the raw diet and am eating lots of fruitarian type stuff(nuts and seeds, not your type of fruitarian diet which i'd love to do some day). I do eat kale and spinach as well but mostly bananas, apples, oranges, pineapple, avocado, bell peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries and mango. I'm going to try out sprouts and see if i like them.

If all of this fails(which i don't think it will) i will at least be on a totally unprocessed foods diet probably for the rest of my life. I've just gotten really sick and tired of processed crap and want a simpler diet. I will at least try the raw thing for the whole summer and see where it goes after that!

Well my mom is now helping me out. For awhile there i think she thought i was nuts.

Big, thanks for the concerns. I did a good deal of research about the raw diet and am eating lots of fruitarian type stuff(nuts and seeds, not your type of fruitarian diet which i'd love to do some day). I do eat kale and spinach as well but mostly bananas, apples, oranges, pineapple, avocado, bell peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries and mango. I'm going to try out sprouts and see if i like them.

If all of this fails(which i don't think it will) i will at least be on a totally unprocessed foods diet probably for the rest of my life. I've just gotten really sick and tired of processed crap and want a simpler diet. I will at least try the raw thing for the whole summer and see where it goes after that!

Congrats...

I'm starting to figure out what my body is craving and i think smoothies are a good way to go although i would much rather use fresh fruits.

I plan on getting some raw tahini and making some green smoothies with tahini as the base if i'm in a hurry.

Right now i'm going to see if my mom wants to eat a watermelon with me!

I'm starting to figure out what my body is craving and i think smoothies are a good way to go although i would much rather use fresh fruits.

I plan on getting some raw tahini and making some green smoothies with tahini as the base if i'm in a hurry.

..."With"? Wow, I must be the only person who hogs them all for myself.

..."With"? Wow, I must be the only person who hogs them all for myself.

nah i eat the whole watermelon too. lol