So can professional cycling clean up its image?

JW

virtually everyone you talk to thinks that all pro riders are guilty of doping or taking some kind of performance enhancer.

These guys seem to be clearly a step ahead of the anti-doping authorities.

Is there any hope for this sport?

Personally I don't believe there is hope for any non-pure team sport(meaning soccer, football, basketball, baseball). Teams(cycling, rowing, Olympic lifting training groups for track and field etc) are willing to do anything to keep their athletes at the top...even doping their food as the Germans did starting in the early 60s(maybe earlier). The only way as of now to clean up the sport is to make guaranteed spinal tap testing for everyone a law. Its the only way to tell if anyone has ever doped. I do think some people in the tour are clean while they race but they got there dirty. This is the only way to keep them out. However this rules out people who took drugs and eventually realize it was wrong. Even they should not get a second chance because they are still only as good as they are due to their past. Maybe it could work if they are mandated to not train for 6 months or so but how can you make someone not work out. It sounds cruel to not give people a second chance and I admit it is but a lot of people never get a first chance due to these people...or even worse yet...people don't think they have a shot to begin with. So for the moment...its fair(at least at the top) since everyone is dirty. Floyd Landis should lose his Jersey because the person in second was dirty too...even if he didn't test that way.

I find it a bit depressing that sports have come to this.

A couple years ago Dick Pound postulated that up to 80% of NHL players were taking performance enhancing drugs.

Players and the league vehemently deny it but I'm not so sure. They try to make Pound look like he is on a witch hunt. He is obviously an intelligent man who is very frustrated at the lack of resources available to prove what he knows to be true.

I think hockey(along with maybe basket ball and curling:) may actually be one of the cleaner sports which is very unfortunate. To me it doesn't seem like a huge problem...maybe its different now but I used to hang out with the Caps(early to mid 90s) and other than Darian Hatcher and Iafrate nobody really looked all that big, and they didn't really look drug big either. If anything playing drunk is the problem. I've been to a few parties and seeing some really drunk players knowing they would be playing the next day.

not sure if there is any hope..

there are many clean good willing amatures out there!!

very true..... I know a few people who refuse to watch pro sports because of this issue. They now watch amateur.