The amazing trackstand!!!

I have been practicing my trackstands and I am getting the hang of it. I can't really hold it for a long period but I will get there. It only took me a day to get the idea of it and how to focus on balancing. Now all I need is time and persistence.

Now Can anyone here trackstand for more than a minute? and any pointers would be great.

Who doesn't stare in aww when you pull up to a red light and pull a trackstand

I will have pictures and maybe a video up here as soon as I can master this talent!!! I am starting crazy 12h shifts so I won't be cycling as much as I would like at all...

I can track stand for basically as long as I want. It's a skill I developed for the sport of observed bicycle trials. You can't put a foot down, so you have to track stand while resting on an obstacle like a log or a car roof, and while you're thinking about how you're going to 'up' the next obstacle. It's one of the first things you try to perfect in trials.

As far as pointers, apply steady pedal pressure with one or both brakes on, then, when you feel wobbliness coming on, release the brakes and the pedal pressure and rock back an forth a little bit to regain balance, then grab the brakes again.

Once you've perfected that, try rolling yourself backwards into position without putting a foot down! That'll get the heads turning while waiting at a stop light.

Bicycle trials= amazing skills... Thanks for the tip Trev!!! Got any photos or vids of you?

Darth - We must master this and show off to all

Tomorrow I start a week of 12h shifts - so no practice or riding this week until the weekend.

Cheers

Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfU0KHdB7jg

It's over a year old - Suz and I have since retired from the sport. It was a spring warm up ride on a really nice day in March at a beach near our house. Of note: all 4 riders in this video are vegan (altho not at the time this was shot).

Gee - the guy in the regular bike helmet who's riding is the best - he's a pro rider

Trevor - I'm wearing the blue 'potty' helmet

Suzanne (Suz on this forum) - red stickers on bike and khaki coloured pants

Lisa - in khaki shorts also, on bike with no stickers - she was a downhiller and was just starting to ride trials

If you're interested, check out our youtube homepage to see Suz's old promo vids. She's also featured in the trials doc 'Leaps and Bounds 2'. Suz was one of the top female riders in North America. She inspired a lot of younger girls to get into the sport.

Thanks, guys.

A quick search of youtube yields a lot of great trials vids. A friend of ours and local BC lower mainland pro put this vid out last summer.

All the very best riders are in Europe of course. It's a cool sport, requires tons of practice - you have to ride everyday to get good. Suz and I just outgrew it, got too busy with life. Our friends Gee and Lisa are still riding actively. Damn, now I wanna go ride my bike...

no cups. I only wear one of those when I fight. We where shin pads on and off, and helmets, that's about it. When you bail riding trials, most of the time you can jump clear, cause you're usually going slow. A lot of the moves are surge type moves, so there's lots of power behind the pedal stroke and then you release the brake and go - that can go badly sometimes, like if your chain breaks. The most common bail is when the rear brakes don't grab (most trials riders use Magura HS33 hydraulic rim brakes and grind the sh*t out of the rims). My worst bail came as a result of rear brakes not grabbing on a long gap to a concrete wall. I just realized that I totally hijacked this thread...sorry!

So, how are those trackstands coming along? You guys practicing?

As and aside, Suz and I both demo'd my trials bike to a potential buyer tonight and I think we both may come out of retirement...

• 2 weeks later...
Here ya go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfU0KHdB7jg

It's over a year old - Suz and I have since retired from the sport. It was a spring warm up ride on a really nice day in March at a beach near our house. Of note: all 4 riders in this video are vegan (altho not at the time this was shot).

Gee - the guy in the regular bike helmet who's riding is the best - he's a pro rider

Trevor - I'm wearing the blue 'potty' helmet

Suzanne (Suz on this forum) - red stickers on bike and khaki coloured pants

Lisa - in khaki shorts also, on bike with no stickers - she was a downhiller and was just starting to ride trials

If you're interested, check out our youtube homepage to see Suz's old promo vids. She's also featured in the trials doc 'Leaps and Bounds 2'. Suz was one of the top female riders in North America. She inspired a lot of younger girls to get into the sport.