acne control question

Rex

I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I had a question regarding acne.

Anyone knows a good and effective vegan alternative to control pimples. Maybe something that I can eat, drink, take etc to control inside to prevent acne. And maybe some lotions or natural stuff.

Hope someone can help.

I'm totally convinced acne is diet related, hormones play some role I think, but not as much as people want to think. What is your diet like?

I don't eat cheese, or greasy food at all. So it probably has to do with hormones?

I thought it was only about greasy food.

I'd say I eat a lot of soy, soymilk in the morning and at night then some soymeat, rice and beans umm oatmeal. I'm not sure if I'm allergic to anything. I'm not sure if it has to do with the food though, since I started getting acne before I went vegan, about two years ago.

I'm 19, it started when I was still in high school, Junior year I think. It was kinna weird because I've seen most people get it during their middle school years or Freshman year. I remember it started on Valentines Day when I ate a little tiny piece of chocolate. I'll eat more veggies and fruits. I drink a lot of water or used to, I may drink little bit a soda probably not even a cup but I'll replace it with water.

Are there any vegan lotions or soaps that can heal damaged skin and maybe prevent future breakouts?

Applying something externally doesn't do a whole lot of good. The acne is a result of what's coming out, the skin is an organ of elimination. I'm 19 as well, it took cutting out grains nearly completely, and basing my diet on fruit to get rid of it. I eat beans sometimes, and some vegetables, protein powder some, but about 80% of my diet is fruit.

Acne is detoxification.

Well, I'm not denying it's hormones, cause I still have acne, it just takes a strict diet to improve it. Mine is nearly gone, but still some. Like others have said, stay hydrated, eat cleanly, and don't worry too much about it. I just don't think external applicants will do any good.

age isn't an excuse from what i've seen personally and in friends who made the changes. you can't add anything ie supplement, lotions, etc. cure the cause instead of treat the symptoms so to speak.

Thanks for the help, I will go shopping for extra veggies and fruits tomorrow.

As Zack said though, it is just a way for the body to get rid of stuff (ie: Detox). I get acne from time to time too if I do some cleanses or anything else, but if it comes up, being paitent and not getting stressed is another good way to get rid of it, I break out to no end when I get stressed also.

you might want to try removing all cooked foods from your diet. I did this and have noticed a large improvement in my skin.

I also eat a lot more fruit, practically all i eat is fruit now. Also, try to really be in tune/feel to how your body feels, because your body will give you certain feelings to whether it wants to eat a certain food or not. Recently I've been lacking any urge to eat bananas though a month ago I couldn't get enough of them. Right now I cant get enough mangos

edit: also, I think sweating helps too, but you should shower after I think so that what is eliminated through yuor sweat is not on your body.

Gluten is a big ingredient (oats, wheat, rye, barley, etc) to cause acne along w/eggs, nuts, soy, fish, shellfish, and milk. You prolly don't eat a lot of these foods if you are vegan. Based on my research, it seems that acne is usually cause by excess fat consumption or a zinc deficiency. Napa cabbage is great for zinc. I don't eat any isolated oils (due to very low nutrient density), so cutting those out might help also. Instead, I eat seeds/avocados. Hope this helps you.

Gluten is a big ingredient (oats, wheat, rye, barley, etc) to cause acne along w/eggs, nuts, soy, fish, shellfish, and milk. You prolly don't eat a lot of these foods if you are vegan. Based on my research, it seems that acne is usually cause by excess fat consumption or a zinc deficiency. Napa cabbage is great for zinc. I don't eat any isolated oils (due to very low nutrient density), so cutting those out might help also. Instead, I eat seeds/avocados. Hope this helps you.

I've noticed that Vitamin A "deficiency" (or not getting enough beta-carotene) can do it too, but zinc is the number one factor that I think goes into breakouts.

• 3 weeks later...

So is that all we have for acne? Any updates from people?

A natural cures & ointments? I know its a symptom of sorts but I also know that topical creams & ointments from AYURVEDIC & NATURAL HERB sources cure a lot of skin issues for people.

For a late 20s guy I shouldnt have any but I do - largely on my upper back... not in the center but right behind my shoulder blades i.e.

I am technically not complete vegan. I've cut DAIRY out on a concious level.. but at times when I am working late with my team and we order a veggie pizza.. thats what I get.

But I do not buy any milk, cheese or put any cheese into my sandwiches etc.

Some Indian dishes end up having some home made Cottage Cheese.

Its big enough of a pain to eat out in Texas being vegetarian.. I end up succumbing to some of it when I dont have a choice (usually on weekends when Im out with a large crew at an indian restaurant - we have a bunch of veggies.. with us).

When you say grains... are you talking 'bread source' grains or 'lentils & legumes' ?

So is that all we have for acne? Any updates from people?

A natural cures & ointments? I know its a symptom of sorts but I also know that topical creams & ointments from AYURVEDIC & NATURAL HERB sources cure a lot of skin issues for people.

For a late 20s guy I shouldnt have any but I do - largely on my upper back... not in the center but right behind my shoulder blades i.e.

I am technically not complete vegan. I've cut DAIRY out on a concious level.. but at times when I am working late with my team and we order a veggie pizza.. thats what I get.

But I do not buy any milk, cheese or put any cheese into my sandwiches etc.

Some Indian dishes end up having some home made Cottage Cheese.

Its big enough of a pain to eat out in Texas being vegetarian.. I end up succumbing to some of it when I dont have a choice (usually on weekends when Im out with a large crew at an indian restaurant - we have a bunch of veggies.. with us).

When you say grains... are you talking 'bread source' grains or 'lentils & legumes' ?

Bread source grains. Most people will tell you that lentils & legumes are nutritionally superior to grains anyway.