VBF 30 Day Raw Food Challenge!

My main problem so far is lack of savoury foods that I want to eat. I am eating some raw peanuts and I will get some raw cashews, but my goal is to lose fat so I don't want to eat lots of those. Other than that, it's really just carrots and celery that are anywhere near savoury, but I don't like them very much. Any suggestions?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main problem so far is lack of savoury foods that I want to eat. I am eating some raw peanuts and I will get some raw cashews, but my goal is to lose fat so I don't want to eat lots of those. Other than that, it's really just carrots and celery that are anywhere near savoury, but I don't like them very much. Any suggestions?

Well this is where the work comes in....just continue to find out what you like for yourself, you'll learn so much more....

It kinda describes me

Or maybe "smooth" would be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savory

savoury

[sAY-vuh-ree]

A British term initially used to describe dishes that were served after dessert to cleanse and refresh the palate. Today it more often refers to tidbits served as appetizers, as well as to more substantial dishes that can be served for lunch, HIGH TEA or light supper.

-http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/entry?id=4434

It kinda describes me

Or maybe "smooth" would be better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savory

savoury

[sAY-vuh-ree]

A British term initially used to describe dishes that were served after dessert to cleanse and refresh the palate. Today it more often refers to tidbits served as appetizers, as well as to more substantial dishes that can be served for lunch, HIGH TEA or light supper.

-http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/entry?id=4434

That's not what I mean, I dunno what they're talking about. Maybe I am incorrect in how I use the word... What I mean by savoury is the opposite of sweet basically. Stuff that's savoury is stuff like:

mildy savoury:

potato, rice, pasta...

stronger savoury:

soy sauce, spices, cheese...

very strong savoury:

salt, yeast extract...

What I am eating right now is mainly fruit. I want more stuff that isn't sweet, but I can't think of anything.

Edited by Richard

Oh, like the opposite of sweet and yummy?

Opposite of sweet yeah. What is there that I can eat raw like that?

Avocado, but that's got a lot of fat. Berries are sweet, but I think they could be something like what you're looking for.

Nu nu nu. I just looked up savoury in my English Dictionary in my house, and it says "food which is spicy or salty in flavour rather than sweet". What on earth do you Un-English people call it?? What's a pizza? It's not sweet, what word would be used to describe it other than savoury?

Oh, like the opposite of sweet and yummy?

Opposite of sweet yeah. What is there that I can eat raw like that?

Avocado, but that's got a lot of fat. Berries are sweet, but I think they could be something like what you're looking for.

Yeah I don't like avocado, I don't like the texture of them. Berries aren't savoury at all, they're sweet or sometimes sour / tangy, but not savoury. Again, savoury is like salt / yeast / cheese / fish / meat / soy sauce etc.

opposite of sweet that is kind of like pizza? Uh - salty? at least that's the word I'm familiar with (but Im from a non englis speaking country hah!)

Something raw, that is not sweet? I dunno, garlic? Put tomatoes, garlic and some onions in a blender! That should spice ya up a little

opposite of sweet that is kind of like pizza? Uh - salty? at least that's the word I'm familiar with (but Im from a non englis speaking country hah!)

Something raw, that is not sweet? I dunno, garlic? Put tomatoes, garlic and some onions in a blender! That should spice ya up a little

Ahar, raw garlic, that might be an idea, then I can dip carrots or celery in it. Also, sun-dried tomatoes! If I can ever find any, those are hardcore

My suggestion would be to eat all the avocados, nuts and seeds you feel like you need while going raw, and let the transition happen. I have yet to meet someone who has been 100% raw for any extended period of time who is carrying a lot of extra weight (well...there is this one guy that owns a raw gourmet confectionery catering business...)

I find myself having that kind of craving for savory when it has been too long since I ate. And I get those cravings, I was a meat and potatoes (actually more like meat and meat) guy for years.

Here are some raw ideas (and remember, soak your nuts):

Mexican Food

1 cup walnuts and almonds blended with a little salt, 1 tsp braggs, 3 tbls olive oil, 1 tbls cumin and chili powder or whatever kind of spice you like as a "meat" wrapped in some kind of green, add avocado if you need more weight, or shredded lighter green and tomato if you want less

"Cliff" Bars

1/2 cup hemp protein, 4-5 brazil nuts, 1 tsp salt, 3 tbls coconut oil, 1 tbls cinnamon (or one stalk bark for purity) and a sweetener to taste

Italian Food

get a zucchini pasta maker and make pasta

(red)

process tomato, sundried tomato, red pepper, mushroom, oregano, clove garlic, olive oil salt, get fancier with the spice if you like

(pesto)

(fyi - this is my friends recipe and I have never actually made it, but when she makes it I love it...) 1/4 cup pine nuts, 1/2 cup hemp seeds, large amount of basil (a cup or 2?), some olive oil, a little salt, maybe a few olives if you are lucky enough to have raw ones

(parmigiana cheese)

ground macadamia nuts or hemp seeds

I'm not sure. You're right, I have promoted the others in the past in an e-mail or something.

I just forgot. I need lots of reminders. Sometimes I end up doing too much and I fall behind. I think the contests or challenges should be up to the organizers and participants to promote them but I always help since I run the site. Since I'm not giving away prizes for this one (per request not to) I didn't have it on top of my mind. Sorry man.

Keep sending me reminders weeks before the contest next time and I can get something out. I don't send out mass e-mails to often, but I'll always try to mention it if I'm reminded.

Have a great challenge!

I'm not sure. You're right, I have promoted the others in the past in an e-mail or something.

I just forgot. I need lots of reminders. Sometimes I end up doing too much and I fall behind. I think the contests or challenges should be up to the organizers and participants to promote them but I always help since I run the site. Since I'm not giving away prizes for this one (per request not to) I didn't have it on top of my mind. Sorry man.

Keep sending me reminders weeks before the contest next time and I can get something out. I don't send out mass e-mails to often, but I'll always try to mention it if I'm reminded.

Have a great challenge!

Yeah I just automatically assumed you'd do it, plus I'm already holding 2-3 challenges of my own over on my forum so I didn't want to add further confusion.

Plus I think it would of been great to get a new/different crowd, all the people I know don't really need this.

Anyway never mind.

Well it's helping me, and I am the most important thing. I got hold of some more raw nuts finally today, ate some raw mushrooms, raw apples, good stuff. Also been looking at some raw recipes and stuff, now that I have some savo(u)ry things going on it's a lot easier, and makes me want to eat sweet things as well as savo(u)ry

Well it's helping me, and I am the most important thing. I got hold of some more raw nuts finally today, ate some raw mushrooms, raw apples, good stuff. Also been looking at some raw recipes and stuff, now that I have some savo(u)ry things going on it's a lot easier, and makes me want to eat sweet things as well as savo(u)ry

Richard - did you manage to make soemthing savoury? I was thinking, if you eat raw chickpeas, they are dellischious to make raw hummus! Plenty of garlic in that and savoury as anything Great with dipping carrot sticks, celery, cucumber or anything else that is raw.

Richard - did you manage to make soemthing savoury? I was thinking, if you eat raw chickpeas, they are dellischious to make raw hummus! Plenty of garlic in that and savoury as anything Great with dipping carrot sticks, celery, cucumber or anything else that is raw.

Yeah, well I got the raw cashews and pistachios which are an excellent start, but also some sundried tomatoes - don't need many of those to make things very tasty. Yeah I made a oniony / garlicy paste / pate thing, which was nice. I am not that fond of hummus, just because I am not sure about the texture of it, it's kind of bumpy, but I like a bit of garlic. I had some raw mushrooms yesterday with spices and a small amout of garlic, that was nice. My problem was before that I really had pretty much nothing which was savoury in my house, so whenever I was hungry, I was eating sweet stuff straight away. Now I can have just a handful of nuts or something, or something oniony / garlicy, and then that puts me in the mood for something sweet afterwards. I am still open to more suggestions for savoury stuff though

Have a great challenge!

Yeah I just automatically assumed you'd do it, plus I'm already holding 2-3 challenges of my own over on my forum so I didn't want to add further confusion.

Plus I think it would of been great to get a new/different crowd, all the people I know don't really need this.

Anyway never mind.

No problem man.

I know what you mean. That is why I stopped doing challenges and contests and fully left them up to others. I just can't keep up anymore.

I know it is helping people, so we can feel good about that.

There will be great future opportunities as we continue to grow our community.

All the best man.

Have a great challenge!

Anyway never mind.

No problem man.

I know what you mean. That is why I stopped doing challenges and contests and fully left them up to others. I just can't keep up anymore.

I know it is helping people, so we can feel good about that.

There will be great future opportunities as we continue to grow our community.

All the best man.

I hear ya man...

I'm cutting down on all the helping out I do on other forums that I do and I'm just focusing on my website/forum, working out and leading by example!!!

I'm getting more and more attention and it's really hard to keep up with interviews, doing your own projects, etc and not let people down....I don't wanna let people down so I'm just gonna do my own thing and lead by example.

Keep on keeping on man!