VBF 30 Day Raw Food Challenge!

Well, while it seems everybody's winding down on the challenge, my wife and I recently started it. Last week we went about 80% raw, and over the weekend we started 100% raw.

I think my favorite thing about it is just cutting up a bunch of fruit and chowing down. A new store that does its best to buy local produce opened nearby and produce is affordable. $.99 Texas cantaloupes...I'm all over that! Cantaloupes and mangos...dig it (especially since it's finally starting to feel like a Texas summer this week). While I can sometimes find produce cheaper at true farmer's markets, most farmer's markets nearby are only open while I'm working and I can never make it. So the new store is cool.

I'm amazed how full I feel after eating, and I definitely have more energy. Usually after working out, I feel a little tired, but I feel more focused when working out and seem to recover better.

So we'll see how it goes. It's been interesting reading other people's experiences with the challenge and I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Christopher

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey christopher - how are you and your wife holding up? still eating raw foods?

Right now I'm eating a primarily raw diet. My wife got a stomach virus this week, and at first she felt it was from the change in the way we were eating. It's the first time she's had a stomach virus since going vegan (seven years), and she lost her craving for raw foods.

I don't think she was too much of a fan of 100% raw, but I think she'll be game for 75% raw, or so. Now that she's feeling much better, I plan to go back to 100% raw.

My goal is to do it for 30 days. I'll get there eventually, and if it's something I don't stick with after those 30 days, I've already seen the benefits of raw foods and recovery after workouts.

Some amazing stuff!

I've been eating about 90% raw for the past 6 days and I'm amazed at how quickly weight is dropping off. I know it's hard to tell exactly how much weight you're losing in only a few days since your weight can fluctuate a few pounds day to day, but it's been consistently lowering every day- I'm down about 4 or 5 pounds since I started.

Anyway, it sort of seems too good to be true. I'm a little scared that I'll actually just start losing muscle mass. As far as I can tell I'm as strong as ever, but I'm still a little nervous about this.

If I'm losing mostly body fat, I will be shredded in no time...

A little excited, a little skeptical,

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Dear Richard,

What a fine recommendation your challenge is. Your website and videos are awesome.

For years I have been involved with raw foods, juicing, fasting and bodybuilding. Most find it difficult to make the transition from omnivore to vegan and even more difficult to make the subsequent transition to the healthiest of all - raw foods.

I have been able to maintain fine lean muscle mass and energy on a raw diet. In my previous "whole foods" bodybuilding days, I had eaten some chicken and fish, but had ethical reservations about that. When I transitioned to veganism and raw foods there was some body weight loss, but the quality of my health dramatically improved. I was able to maintain the lean muscle mass and energy for great workouts.

The transition to raw foods veganism can also be difficult due to addictions to certain foods and habits. I have found that it is worth making the effort to overcome those things to acheive better health.

I think there is definitely a psychological factor involved in the transition from veganism to raw foods. As athletes and bodybuilders we can become overly obsessed with our physical appearance, body mass and bf and stats. I have found that when one let's go of all that the body finds its own natural weight on a healthy raw diet and one enjoys then the blessings of good health. The muscles and energy maintain themselves when supplied by the right raw nutrients.

I drink a lot of wheatgrass juice and I use a lot of spirulina and algae. It was always interesting to me that horses and cows and African wild animals can grow massive and muscular structures with incredible bones and teeth on an herbivorous diet. I think that frutiarian/herbivorous in the raw state is the natural diet for man.

Thanks for your fine contributions to this Forum. I am certainly on the same page as you. Hope you're getting a lot of sun!!!!!!

Wasn't your account disabled for a reason?

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd put in my bit since ppl are still viewing this thread... I've been trying to go 100% raw for months now, with my main temptations being dairy, and starchy foods like pastries and whatnot. It's interesting though how my attitude has changed, I definitely don't look at cooked food as a source of nourishment anymore, but simply a short term means at solving emotional cravings and wanting to be stimulated or to feel sleepy. And I'll always eat something raw to go with it otherwise I'll usually feel a bit sick. My favourite foods right now are olives, avocados, cashews, dulse seaweed, bean sprouts, tomatoes, and watermelon. Fruits are important for me, but only as a source of energy and water when I need it. The rest of the stuff is really satisfying and I don't feel like eating half an hour later which can happen with sweet fruits if I don't mix them with greens and avocados and whatnot.

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I'd put in my bit since ppl are still viewing this thread... I've been trying to go 100% raw for months now, with my main temptations being dairy, and starchy foods like pastries and whatnot. It's interesting though how my attitude has changed, I definitely don't look at cooked food as a source of nourishment anymore, but simply a short term means at solving emotional cravings and wanting to be stimulated or to feel sleepy. And I'll always eat something raw to go with it otherwise I'll usually feel a bit sick. My favourite foods right now are olives, avocados, cashews, dulse seaweed, bean sprouts, tomatoes, and watermelon. Fruits are important for me, but only as a source of energy and water when I need it. The rest of the stuff is really satisfying and I don't feel like eating half an hour later which can happen with sweet fruits if I don't mix them with greens and avocados and whatnot.

I can get to about 90%. I have soups and some baked goods sometimes.