Rose in San Francisco

Rose

Vegetarian for 3 years, gradually becoming vegan.

Have been studying martial arts off and on for 14 years.

Started competing in forms in 2005, but laid up by knee injury since February 2006.

Both my martial arts instructors thought I would need to eat yang (usually means meat) to protect my tendons from further injury. Obviously that's unacceptable, so I came here to find out what I could do nutritionally to strengthen cartilage and tendons.

Welcome to the forum, Rose. I've disagreed with my Sensei more than once about what I eat. Now he's coming around a bit, asking me questions and stuff. Meat (and dairy) will only do more harm. Try alternate sources of complete, alkaline proteins like hemp powder, yellow pea protein, chlorella/spirulina or Vega, which combines a bunch of stuff. I've been vegan for a little over a year, and predominantly raw for the last 5 months, I don't worry about getting protein or calcium as there is more than enough in my current diet. I train hard 4 to 6 days a week, heal quickly and have only gained. I think a lot of damage to muscles and tendons comes from acid-forming animal products. You'll find tons more info on this forum - that's what we're all about! Keep training!

BTW, SF rules! Love that city!

Welcome Rose! Great to have you here! We need more members from the Bay Area

Thanks for being part of our team. We have a really cool group here and we organize a number of gatherings, festivals, challenges, contests, events, meet-ups, etc.

I'll be in your area for World Vegetarian Day (I think) so maybe we can meet up then.

Enjoy the forum and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the friendly invite, but no, not coming north this summer. My hubby and I already have plans to take our boys camping. That's all the vacation we get

I'll check out that book too. I appreciate all recommendations.

Welcome Rose!

Forget about eating yang! The best diet for humans is a vegan diet with a large amount of raw fruits and vegetables. This is the best diet for injured humans who are into martial arts, too.

Since sports injuries are the mayor field I work in maybe I can provide some help:

Please tell me what kind of knee injuriy you have. Usually the training programs used to rehab and prevent knee injuries do not differ very much. If you give me your diagnosis and descripe your symptoms now I can give a small set of exercises to do.

All the best for you and again welcome aboard!

I would love to meet a practicioner of Chinese medicine who is vegan!

I have been told to eat lots of Yang as well...especially lots of red meat ( to build more blood). However, Beets also build blood, so i go that route.

I have also googled info on my diagnosis of Spleen qi dificientcy and found vegan food suggestions to correct the problem.

I try to use a variety of approaches to healthcare and then add my own thing into it.

There are some great herbs out there that you could use. Have you considered seeing a massage therapist?