Right amount of protein

In many papers and book (even medical) I've read that for an athlete the amount of protein a day must be between 1,5-2g per kg of weight but I've also read that we are eating too much proteins in modern life. Can someone explain what's the right amuont of proteins to take for not losing and increase muscle mass. Thanks I'm newbie and don't know how to start a vegan nutrition

If what your interested in is gaining as much mass as possible...no protein is too much protein. But if you want to simply be healthy and slowly gain mass you really shouldn't ever eat more than 2g per kilo...most people can gain on 1g per kilo. Many people eat less than 0.5g per kilo and maintain or gain small amounts of muscle.

I just want to gain weight slowly and not lose muscle so I think that 1g per kg should be ok. Thanks a lot

I wouldn't base it so much on a number, so much as choosing things like beans and nuts when you're hungry (though you should eat plenty of fruits and non-starchy vegetables too), instead of feeling a quota to reach. The amounts of protein people consume on here vary, but we all do pretty well. 1g/kg is good for gaining lean mass though, so try it out. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hallo!

mach grad bei einer Fitnessaktion mit und da wurden meine Ausdauer, Kraft,

Koordination und unter anderem mein Körperfettanteil gemessen.

dabei kam heraus, dass ich 31 % Körperfett habe, was sehr viel ist. Mein BMI bzw.

Gewicht sind aber völlig in Ordnung. Das kommt davon, dass ich Muskeln abbaue und

Fett aufbaue. Dafür gibt es zwei Gründe:

1. zu wenig Bewegung

2. Mein Körper bekommt zu wenig Proteine und holt sich diese daher aus den Muskeln.

Ok, ich bin Vegetarierin und esse eher wenig Milchprodukte, weil ich sie nicht

sonderlich vertrage und ganz allgemein nicht viel davon essen will.

Mit einem Glas Sojamilch bzw. Sojajoghurt täglich ist es angeblich nicht getan, da

der körper pflanzliche Eiweiße nicht so gut verwerten kann. Ausserdem würde mein

Östrogenspiegel ansteigen, wenn ich sehr viel davon trinken/essen würde. Bei Männern

führt das zu Fettaufbau, bei Frauen kenn ich die Wirkungen nicht.

Nun empfiehlt mir der Trainer (=Manfred Petautschnik) zu tierischen, laktosefreien, cholesterinfreien und

fettarmen Eiweißshakes, damit sich meine Muskeln nicht noch mehr reduzieren.

Was hält ihr von der ganzen sache???

LG Kathrin