Appetite for Destruction - Cant follow my hunger / judgement

Also, over time for some reason my 'appetite management' is totally UNCALIBRATED.

The thing is when I was early 20s (6-7 years back) in India just before moving to US. I ate a diet that my mom had me on most of my life. I ATE LIKE A DOG. COULD NOT GAIN A POUND. I was a hard gainer.

When I moved to the USA, my diet went way out of whack. Being vegetarian as I was, was hard enough. I'd skip lunches & HOG at night. ..

Being a student I was barely eating right.. lots of rice at night, free pizza & canned drinks in university - every evening / afternoon there was some organization passing those out. Since, I'd probably skipped a lunch I'd pick those up.

Same thing in a different manner when I started working & traveling a lot for work (Consulting).. I was eating VEGGIE Pastas (I know it wasnt vegan).. all the time. Why? The only things I could usually get were: Green Salad (I am not a girl.. i get hungry so this was out), Veggie Sandwich or Veggie Pasta (alfredo or marinara with some veggies).

I was eating BAD.

I still have a good appetite. I just dont know if I am STARVING or OVEREATING now. My judgement is screwed.

Lately, I've been trying to eat healthy - Whole Foods custom veggie tofu sandwiches without cheese. Spinach Lentil soup.. etc. Some Indian lentil with tortilla at times.

I recently started a FRUIT KICK. I think I love fruits.. always did. But they COST a lot & I get hungry fast.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: I CANT FIGURE OUT WHEN TO EAT & WHEN TO STOP EATING. I NEED SOMEONE TO BUILD ME A PROPER DIET PLAN AND STICK WITH IT FOR A CERTAIN AMOUNT OF TIME TO HAVE MY SYSTEM BACK TO BETTER CALIBRATION.

Listen to your body and not your greedy mind Why don't you work out how many calories someone of your height/weight requires and then stick to that number? Spread your intake instead of having one huge binge session.

Btw most people don't put on weight when they are young. Metabolism slows down with each passing year Ain't life a bi**h?

It sounds like you are addicted to certain foods. The solution is to stop eating those foods. Mostly it's sugar, salt and added oils in the food that'll make you hooked (allthough there can be other things as well). You're not really hungry.

I am touched. (sniff). Any more or less words, do not change how I feel about you taking the time & effort to share your insights in such a manner for a complete stranger. (If you were here I'd give you a hug).

I dont crave junk food.. actually I dont think I ever did. Soda's are not on my diet. I might end of cheating and having a glass of it once in a blue moon if / when I'm having a platter of spicy tofu.

I always enjoy and love the feel of fresh / raw stuff. Ofcourse, my craving for good indian curry might keep me on the dark side .

I might not be able to do the raw 5-6 meals transformation as of now. I would lose out on consistency...

My post was to highlight that at times I am not able to control myself... when some food (usually indian curry) is delicious.. I'll chomp more.. Its as if my stomach can tolerate it. The other being.. at times I find myself avoiding meals / starving myself.

Since I am trying to lose bodyfat as an initial goal, my biggest concern was to figure out

- What kind of calorie cutback I need to lose that body fat?

- How do I ensure doing the above without feeling undernourished or empty stomach / low all the time?

This is a goal I want to achieve.. sooner than later.. I am not sure if I can include a major RAW detox into it.. Hopefully once I get a little fitter, I might want to try it out. Maybe I can do it now.. but maybe I need to do it when I & my body have the time / logistics to handle it.

PS: Thanks once again. I really appreciate your insights. I'll see what I can do.

PPS: I dont think I am addicted to certain foods. I DO FEEL that I am used to a certain STOMACH FULL feeling.

PPPS: My diet back home in India was very very balanced - Its a very traditional Indian diet. Always had a lentil curry/soup, a cooked dry /curry vegetable, couple of skinny whole wheat tortillas, bunch of salads (cucumbers, tomatoes, sometimes sprouts, carrots), some dessert (usually milk or yogurt based).

Anyways.. lets not have the vegan - vegetarian discussion now . I've almost eliminated milk products from my diet. I end of succumbing to some things once in a BLUE moon. Its very hard staying vegetarian as it is .... my work / life balance is not the best help. e.g. We are all working late on some projects.. and we order pizzas late night .. i get the veggie.. it has cheese.. but i've got to eat something .. at the time. That kinda thing happens sometimes. But as I said... all my sandwiches at whole foods are now CHEESELESS - Something I conciously do ... when I'm there.

That is what I am talking about. When I ask that question I do not have the right answer all the times. That is where my judgement is screwed.

I'll ignore a feeling, then an hour or two later I'll feel very undernourished and sluggish. I dont have a good judgement on this right now. Its been spoilt.

PS: LizWorld - Lots of hugs and appreciation for your PMs. I'll see what I can put into practice.

Listen to your body and not your greedy mind Why don't you work out how many calories someone of your height/weight requires and then stick to that number? Spread your intake instead of having one huge binge session.

Btw most people don't put on weight when they are young. Metabolism slows down with each passing year Ain't life a bi**h?

I dont think I am the best at this either.

Rome was not built in a day Don't look for short cuts! Aim for long term/permanent changes. Give us some stats on your height, waist and body fat%.

I know Indian food very well and the stuff cooked in traditional way is FULL of fat There is a reason why a typical middle aged Indian has a Ganesh belly Then again Americans are not that thin either

Rome was not built in a day Don't look for short cuts! Aim for long term/permanent changes. Give us some stats on your height, waist and body fat%.

I know Indian food very well and the stuff cooked in traditional way is FULL of fat There is a reason why a typical middle aged Indian has a Ganesh belly Then again Americans are not that thin either

Now you're talking. I'll get all my stats up.. sometime soon. I think I need that kind of structured assessment and discipline initially to get me set on the right path...

Well, I think so called 'traditional' Indian way is different from family to family, sub-culture to sub-culture.. of India. There is a HEALTHY / HEALTHIER way to Indian cooking as my mom always did make stuff that way.

PS: Yes, the Indian Ganesh belly.. but I think that is largely due to lack of exercise. But, even in the worst cases it surprises me how huge people get in America, esp in Texas.... maybe its the 'hormone induced' meats.