Fruitarian diet and protein?

Maybe there has been a thread like this before. If so I apologize.

It seems like most of the protein in my diet comes from grians, beans, nuts, ect... A lot of which I get from processed and cooked foods. While most of the fruit I consume is in raw form(no nutrition label) or in juice. So I was just wondering how good of a source of protein fruit can be. Clearly there are a number of fruitarian vegans out there that appear to be quite healthy. I'm just ignorant when it comes to fruit.

Could someone give me the rundown on the whole fruitarian thing, mostly focused on protein?

I'm not an athlete or body builder, I'm not looking to bulk up. Just trying to stay around what I'm at(about 5'10" 150lb-ish, thin figure.) and maintain it in a heathly way through my diet. Just an average Joe vegan. I'm not planning on making a 100% switch to the whole Fruitarian thing. My band(made up of mostly vegans and vegetarians) is going to be on tour for the next 6 weeks. So aside from a number of vegan reastaraunts we may stop at, I want to avoid the fastfood & potato chip diet completely. Raw fruits and juices are quite available on the go and relatively affordable so I'd like to rely very heavily on them.

Thanks!

Edited by Sam801

Granted this doesn't answer you're question but you can get hummus and a baguette anywhere you go along with tortillas and beans. Fruits are good too and you'll be better off the more you can eat.

***Lets also not forget peanut butter and jelly...these aren't the healthiest things but they could get worse.

Maybe there has been a thread like this before. If so I apologize.

It seems like most of the protein in my diet comes from grians, beans, nuts, ect... A lot of which I get from processed and cooked foods. While most of the fruit I consume is in raw form(no nutrition label) or in juice. So I was just wondering how good of a source of protein fruit can be. Clearly there are a number of fruitarian vegans out there that appear to be quite healthy. I'm just ignorant when it comes to fruit.

Could someone give me the rundown on the whole fruitarian thing, mostly focused on protein?

I'm not an athlete or body builder, I'm not looking to bulk up. Just trying to stay around what I'm at(about 5'10" 150lb-ish, thin figure.) and maintain it in a heathly way through my diet. Just an average Joe vegan. I'm not planning on making a 100% switch to the whole Fruitarian thing. My band(made up of mostly vegans and vegetarians) is going to be on tour for the next 6 weeks. So aside from a number of vegan reastaraunts we may stop at, I want to avoid the fastfood & potato chip diet completely. Raw fruits and juices are quite available on the go and relatively affordable so I'd like to rely very heavily on them.

Thanks!

If you're not a bodybuilder or someone who lifts weights, then you shouldn't worry about your protein needs as much. You'll get enough through the foods you eat.

If you're not a bodybuilder or someone who lifts weights, then you shouldn't worry about your protein needs as much. You'll get enough through the foods you eat.

Everybody needs to make sure, that his diet provides all the essential amino acids he needs and enough protein.

But even for vegan bodybuilders there is no need to worry about it as long as they eat a healthy and varied diet that provides enough calories.

Of course protein supports anabolic effects when eaten more. And if you are an competitive athlete – and less interested in your health – you may want to use this effect to build more mass quickly. But remember: The slower the muscles are build and the higher the food quality you put into your body the higher the muscle quality you build will be.

David you seem very knowledgeable and a good one to ask about this. I've got a liver disease, so i'm watching very strictly what I put in my body, this has led me to a nearly all raw diet. How much protein do you think may be necessary for me. I work out a lot and very intense and also run, but I don't want to put a strain on my liver in any way, i've already got cirrhosis at 19 years old, so I've got to be extremely careful.

Zack,

I don't know how qualified this source is but it has some of the most extensive dietary advice I've seen online. There is mention of restricting protein, but not plant protein. I would assume that the problem with animal protein is excess of sulfur containing amino acids. I certainly hope your doctors have given you some dietary guidance but I'm not shocked if they haven't. Hopefully, you will be able to keep your cirrhosis from progressing.

Everybody needs to make sure, that his diet provides all the essential amino acids he needs and enough protein.

But even for vegan bodybuilders there is no need to worry about it as long as they eat a healthy and varied diet that provides enough calories.

Of course protein supports anabolic effects when eaten more. And if you are an competitive athlete – and less interested in your health – you may want to use this effect to build more mass quickly. But remember: The slower the muscles are build and the higher the food quality you put into your body the higher the muscle quality

you build will be.

That is basically what I said. Although protein powders provide an overall anabolic effect in the short run, if your diet is highly alkaline, your body will not break down muscle tissue for energy as much as if you were eating nothing but highly acidic foods. This is one reason why so many animals like Apes are strong. Nevertheless, if you're not active, your needs for protein is not large and will be well-served by nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, sprouts, and hemp. Many people forget that CALORIES are responsible for muscle growth and not just protein. You can consume all the protein you want in the world, but if you don't eat enough calories, you won't build enough muscle to pass as a natural bodybuilder.

David you seem very knowledgeable and a good one to ask about this. I've got a liver disease, so i'm watching very strictly what I put in my body, this has led me to a nearly all raw diet. How much protein do you think may be necessary for me. I work out a lot and very intense and also run, but I don't want to put a strain on my liver in any way, i've already got cirrhosis at 19 years old, so I've got to be extremely careful.

Hey,

I read that you had liver disease. Try eating 6-8 avocados daily. they have been shown to duplicate liver cells in mice who has damaged livers from liver cancer.

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by Cthulhu

I would wait for the humane, human studies on excessive avocado eating as it relates to human liver health. If we could extrapolate animal studies to humans then we wouldn't need to do human clinal trials of anything.

I would wait for the humane, human studies on excessive avocado eating as it relates to human liver health. If we could extrapolate animal studies to humans then we wouldn't need to do human clinal trials of anything.

No, but they give us a good indication on what works and how it works- otherwise we wouldn't do animal studies at all.

Even if it didn't work in human studies, there would be no negative side effects to eating four avocados a day, so there would be no need to "wait" for human studies to come out.

You mentioned 6-8 avocados per day (not 4) and that is a lot of calories from one food which means that you need to choose limiting other food choices (which leaves out a lot of nutrients derived from a varied diet) or choose gaining weight (which could be unhealthy).

Your study also looked at liver cancer, not cirrhosis.

There are numerous books that discuss the tremendous fallacy that animal experimentation "give us a good indication on what works and how it works." This false belief fuels a huge industry and results in the suffering of both humans and animals.

Who Else Knows That Using the Animal Model in Medical Research is Harmful to Humans ?

Scientists, doctors, researchers, and anyone else who is keeping up with the information in the latest scientific peer-reviewed journals. That is the main reason why the public does not know. Deciphering the scientific data can be overwhelming to those not in the medical field, but it is common knowledge within the medical and scientific community that reliance on the animal model in research is not useful and is only done because the public has so much faith in it, though completely unfounded.

Dr. Jane Goodall, PhD: "I have a growing conviction that many animal data are not only obtained unethically, at huge cost in animal suffering, but are also unscientific, misleading, wasteful (in terms of dollars and effort) and may be actually harmful to humans." "Animal experimentation is unethical and cruel. It hurts animals, it is expensive, and it is so often detrimental to the very species it professes to be helping - our own." 7

Dr. Ray Greek, MD and Dr. Jean Swingle Greek, DVM: "We (human and non-human animals) differ on a cellular and molecular level, and, importantly, that is where disease occurs." 8 "We were finding, through scientific research, that extrapolating data from animals to humans is either misleading, unnecessary, dangerous, or all three." 9

Dr. M. Beddow Bayly: "...medical authorities who set out to support and defend the practice of experimenting on living animals so far to distort historical facts as to create the impression in the mind of the public that every single medical diagnosis and treatment had depended for its discovery and application on vivisection... Happily, even the briefest perusal of the available evidence shows falsity of these claims and provides historical proof of the supreme value of clinical observation..."

I highly suggest any book by the Greeks as they have actually worked in the human and animal medical fields.

You mentioned 6-8 avocados per day (not 4) and that is a lot of calories from one food which means that you need to choose limiting other food choices (which leaves out a lot of nutrients derived from a varied diet) or choose gaining weight (which could be unhealthy).

There are numerous books that discuss the tremendous fallacy that animal experimentation "give us a good indication on what works and how it works." This false belief fuels a huge industry and results in the suffering of both humans and animals.

Who Else Knows That Using the Animal Model in Medical Research is Harmful to Humans ?

Scientists, doctors, researchers, and anyone else who is keeping up with the information in the latest scientific peer-reviewed journals. That is the main reason why the public does not know. Deciphering the scientific data can be overwhelming to those not in the medical field, but it is common knowledge within the medical and scientific community that reliance on the animal model in research is not useful and is only done because the public has so much faith in it, though completely unfounded.

Dr. Jane Goodall, PhD: "I have a growing conviction that many animal data are not only obtained unethically, at huge cost in animal suffering, but are also unscientific, misleading, wasteful (in terms of dollars and effort) and may be actually harmful to humans." "Animal experimentation is unethical and cruel. It hurts animals, it is expensive, and it is so often detrimental to the very species it professes to be helping - our own." 7

Dr. Ray Greek, MD and Dr. Jean Swingle Greek, DVM: "We (human and non-human animals) differ on a cellular and molecular level, and, importantly, that is where disease occurs." 8 "We were finding, through scientific research, that extrapolating data from animals to humans is either misleading, unnecessary, dangerous, or all three." 9

Dr. M. Beddow Bayly: "...medical authorities who set out to support and defend the practice of experimenting on living animals so far to distort historical facts as to create the impression in the mind of the public that every single medical diagnosis and treatment had depended for its discovery and application on vivisection... Happily, even the briefest perusal of the available evidence shows falsity of these claims and provides historical proof of the supreme value of clinical observation..."

I highly suggest any book by the Greeks as they have actually worked in the human and animal medical fields.

Yes, I'm coming to this conclusion more and more that any animal studies, even those used by veg promoting doctors and scientists are far from reliable in terms of human health. Unfortunately, some of my favourite veg doctors have done so, ie McDougall, Campbell, etc. How many humans are willing to be guinea pigs; however? Can you give some references about good Greek books to use?

Personally I think many humans are willing to be guinea pigs so long as they are paid to do so. I really think tens of millions of people would be willing to do so since they put stupid things in their bodies as it is. I know I would have done this before I started thinking about eating healthy. Many of these studies pay thousands of dollars for virtually no work. Thing is the products "need" to be tested on animals extensively before they are approved for human testing. There are also loads of ethical concerns...unfortunately not enough people feel that way about animals.

Here's an amazon.com link to one of their books:

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Cows-Golden-Geese-Experiments/dp/0826412262

I agree with you on those points, Veganitaliana. I review many animal studies in the professional journals I read and am always amazed at how irrelevant the studies are. I can't name one animal study that I've referenced when giving anesthesia or caring for a patient in an intensive care unit. But that doesn't stop my collegues in the field from applying for the grants to fund these studies. I won't criticise my workplace (the internet is not so anonymous after all) but I will say that animal experimentation definitely helps pay the bills. And we have a large population of uninsured patients who we are able to serve because we have such large research departments. If you follow the money, you discover that there's a lot of it.

Thanks for the tip, I ordered the book

I used a study about liver cancer because he did not specify which liver disease he had- that, or I didn't see him type it.

I don't have a problem with testing a product on a animal as long as it's for the benefit of curing disease.

There were many things that were tested on animals and are being used to help animals today. I said four avocados because that is usually the smallest amount I eat in any given day.

If I eat six avocados, then I am eating 1,410 calories from fat. I eat 3,500 calories-4,000 calories a day. That isn't even half, so I don't know how that would be leaving out other nutrients in my diet. Obviously, I eat that much because I'm a bodybuilder. If someone eats less, then adjust accordingly.