Happy midsummer

offense74

Sounds like a good thing to celebrate....but not for the fish. What is the reason for the specific foods chosen?

I don't know if you could get it there, but you can actually buy vegan fish here, usually in the Asian markets

Happy midsummer everybody.

Today (friday) all of Sweden eats fish, potatoes and drink flavoured vodka.

It's both fun and tragic at the same time. You have to be here to understand this tradition, unless LizWorld can explain it to you...

Happy Midsummer!

Lizworld did explain it to me I asked her about it after you posted. Have a great one and we look forward to celebrating summer with you here in Portland soon!

Yea, happy midsummer!

I missed it last year, and this year too, which sucks! I always stuff myself with so many strawberries that I can't have any until the very next midsummer.

That's about the only thing I can eat these days on that specific day. Same foods are served during christmas and easter, except for the strawberries. Yeah, we make a great deal about variation in our country. Especially food wise.

I guess it's all from back in the days. We were poor and the ocean was filled with herring, which was a cheap food. We salted it, pickled it, dried it, you name it... it's a heathen holiday with some rituals in it, more than anything else. That's how far back it goes. We also take a big cross (but it mustn't be a church cross and that is importnat), cover it with greens and leaves and flowers and dance around it. We also were flowers on our heads, dress up in folk costumes and so on.

I like midsummer. But you have to be swedish to understand it I guess. Personally I stay away from the booze. Not my cup of tea...

http://www.scandinavica.com/culture/tradition/midsummer.htm

I miss home. USA sure is EXPENSIVE!!!! You can't believe what we pay for fruits and vegs - even the non-organic ones!

Bring some extra foods when you come over!

Pooping red rocks!

I especially enjoy lots of beetroots, and if you eat nothing but green, leafy vegs a whole day, you will poop green and it will smell like grass!

As I understand the rules of supply and demand worked well in the US. The things people ate (ie fried stuff with cheese and sugar) were inexpensive whereas the decoration (ie spinach and fruit) were expensive.

My shit always smells like shit nomatter what the colour.

Hm... you wouldn't be able to send me that Moore-film over msn or something would you???? I want to watch it tonite! (I am not known for changing subjects at all..)

Stop food combining and go mostly raw and I promise an odour-free doo-doo!!

(and whatever you do - stay away from vega)