I'm surprised there is not more discussion about aikido

More research into Ki Society has shown me that there is alot of disagreement on the facts...such as who granted Koichi the 10th dan...I guess it matters little...but I see how the split is very much like a divorce with the children forced to take sides...some have taken it very personally, feeling that those that left have turned their backs on the family...I can understand the feelings...but I also think alot of reconciliation has occured. Many of the "prodigal sons" have returned and Hombu Dojo has greeted them with open arms...

Oh, I see. I guess you changed it while I was writing my reply. It's all good.

I just think there are far too much politics in the martial arts, and none of it is healthy in my opinion. This goes for most all schools and styles, not just Aikido. So I try to discourage that sort of thing when possible.

Yes, I thought it was O-Sensei who made Koichi Tohei 10th-Dan, but the history is a little muddy.

Obviously, the clothesline kind of stuff that is done by Steven Segal's characters, like Nico Toscani in Above the Law, aren't reflective of either Aikikai or Ki Society. What Segal does in the movies is the stuff of Hollywood make believe. (Of course, Kung Fu masters don't really fly around and dance of tree branches either.) I think Akira Tohei's response was a fair-minded in that respect. According to Steven Segal's Web site, the actor doesn't endorse any organization other than the Aikikai Federation of Tokyo, Japan.

It really is like family... the loyalties are very heart felt...I have to admit...I got a bit butt hurt when you seemed to diminish Akira Tohei Sensei...but you only stated facts. ("You have offended me, my family and the Hombu Dojo" -hahaha)

Great thread! Very interesting.

My sister took aikido and I took TKD. My TKD instructor was very into learning techniques from other styles, particularly self-defense techniques. When I went to a couple of classes with my sister, I quickly realized where my instructor got some of his self-defense techniques, especially with weapons self-defense. Cool stuff.

My sis is a cop and there were a lot of cops in her aikido class. I guess it makes sense for cops considering some of the close quartered/neutralizing types moves.

Yeah, our dojo was closely associated with another dojo in

Lubbock and there was a SWAT cop there. The instructor was a fire fighter, he actually used aikido to assist him in carries. My instructor also taught self-defense and retraining to local law enforcement. He told us all the bad techniques cops liked to use and how to get out of them...of course we were all law abiding/harmonious citizens and it was primarily for dos & don'ts type discussions. My dad is in law enforcement and we have had many discussions about aikido and various restraining techniques...here's a tip...never resist a cop when he has you in the hinge type cuffs, its very easy to apply a kotegaeshi type maneuver...OUCH!

Look what just opened right next door to my kickboxing gym:

http://www.nsaikido.org/

I watched a class for a bit last night before my class. When I have more time (when I finally get out of the film biz) and I can commit myself properly, I might give this a try.

Any thoughts on the school? It may be hard to tell from the website, but those of you who know a lot about Aikido might be able to glean something. It's the polar opposite of what I'm doing now - no competition vs. competition, non-profit vs. profit. I would keep training at my club, and add this in two nights a week. I don't know exactly what all the classes are, but I would obviously start in beginner. I'm really kind of into this idea. I just wish I didn't work so much...

That's the shit! "Aikikai" is Hombu Dojo affiliated...Looks like International Aikido Federation, which USAF (United States Aikdo Fed.) is a part of...That's as close to the source as it gets! The Founder set up Aikido as a non-profit...its purpose is to spread the idea of universal harmony...the Doshu is the Founder's grandson...Moriteru Ueshiba...who took over after his father's (Kisshomaru' Ueshiba) death. I'm telling you..get "The Spirit of Aikido" by Kisshomaru Ueshiba...it'll change your life! It's more than mere self defense...its damn near a religion! (Sometimes I feel like a friggin' missionary!) At Gaku Homma's dojo-which is one of the branch schools- community service is required to gain black belt. His dojo also has programs for Colorado Park beautification, helping homeless shelters and sending aid to families in MOngolia! Again, it's an off shoot, but it puts more emphasis on good works as part of aikido practice...but thety are also quite hardcore...all windows closed/no air conditioning in summer...windows open in the winter...they also hike in the mountains in their gis!!!! The Rocky Mountains!!! No shoes...just gis!!!! Hard core misogi (purification by snow/freezing water, etc...) I personally prefer Aikikai, but most schools are pretty cool...except for the few that introduced competition and offensive strikes...in my opinion...

I checked out the site more...that's a bad ass dojo! I really want my daughter to take aikido -she's 6-but its hard to find good schools for kids. I'm jealous! I'm really restricted in my practice...nearest Aikikai dojo is in Casper ,Wy...3 hours away...though Boulder has a pretty good school that is not Aikikai, but still recognized by Hombu Dojo ( the politics are a bit complex)...the dojo here shut down a few years ago, but there are a few die hards still around that still work out...and Gaku Homma's dojo (Nippon Kan) is near by in Denver...in the mean time I'm trying to re-locate my center (ki) and practice my ukemi (break falls) and movements...

good luck...looks like you found an awesome dojo...

Thanks, kalozojo. I won't be able to join for some time - my work schedule is just too prohibitive. The place isn't going anywhere, though, I'm sure. They've been in North Van here for awhile, but just moved next door to my kickboxing gym. I'll grab a pamplet when I'm down there on the weekend. I had a quick read and saw some of the names you mentioned. Nice to know the place is the real thing for when I do take the leap!