Super Diet On a Low Budget

If you all remember a while back I wanted a lazy diet. You all said it would be a terrible idea becouse it's highly processed stuff I was consuming. I think I found a healthier diet than what I had. And it happens to include the raw diet and 100 percent raw and organic products.

Al these products I discovered while looking up stuff on Vegan essentials.

Breakfast: Thor's Organic Raw Power Protein Super Fod Blend. It's one of those protein mixes where you tke two scoops and sahke it in a liquid. And as I want to build mouscle and be as healthy as I can this seems like a perfect way to get vitamins, minerals and protein.

Lunch: Organic Vegan Food Bar Contains nothing but raw and organic materials. Kinda like Lara bars only organic. It had a good amount of protein and fiber. Kinda high in fat, calories and carbs though but I think that's a good thing. I also found cliff bars on Vegan essentials but I'm not sure how healty it is. Can anyone vouch for it? Does cliff bars make a good lunch? Right now I'm kinda obsessing on Raw since it apears non-processed foods are what's in these days.

And of coarse one organic fresh Bananna. Love Bananna's.

Dinner: Something else I discovered on Vegan Essentials. Juvo Natural Raw Meal Drink Mix. A raw meal replacement that also goes into a drink that you mix. I like the sound of that since I'm lazy ^_^ but what I wonder is does it have to be mixed or can you eat the powder plain? But then again who would want to?

Well if this turns out to be healthy I'll go with it and go completely raw. That's just the way I do things. I jump into it. It shouldn't be hard to switch to 100 percent raw. I have obsessive compulsive disorder and I can make it work for me.

Edited by Dr. Pink

First off, Not enough calories.

Clif bars aren't raw. You're still basing your diet on processed food even if it's raw. I suggest you just start reading around the raw posts and see what other people eat. It will take a lot more than what you have listed.

Those raw things aren't bad for you but you need to eat "food" as well. Just eat salads, fruits and things. You can't live out of boxes. Those prepared raw foods aren't really all that much better than other quality non raw things. It will be much cheaper if you simply eat melons, bananas, greens etc. Plus you'll be much healthier for it instead of taking your vitamins with powders. I love VEGA but its good to get vitamins from actual food as well.

Thanks. I'll try and rework this. My only problem is with the real thing they don't list any kind of serving size and I wouldn't know how much of it to eat. I'd proaboably end up eating it all.

But for lunch on top of having a bar I could always make a salad at home before I go to work or school. Instead of Lettace I'd use fresh organic spinach, chopped organic tomatoes, chopped organic onions, Chopped Organic Cilantro with Organic orange squeeze from fresh oranges and sea salt as the topping. That sounds good.

I used to make these sandwhiches that consisted of 100 percent whole wheat flour home baked in a bread maker by me, then slathered in spinach and other such veggies.

I'm trying to go for 100 percent organic, 100 percent vegan, 90 percent raw( IF I want to make bread like I used to I gotta cook it ^_^) and non-processed. But I also want to be as healthy as I can be, eat as much calories as I can( Or as much as a person who is farely active and wants to wor out regularly should eat) but I don't want to spend too much money. 100 dollars a week is a bit much. That's how much I estimated my food to be with my old diet plan. But I want to live on a budget too. Shoot I buy kids clothes at the good will and wear them( And they fit ^_^)

So yeah I understand eating the real thing is a good start. I just hope that buying the organic ingridients from scratch and fixing my own meals won't put a damper in my wallet. I'm hopeing for maybe 20-50 bucks in food and drink combined.

I will do the research though. But it would also help if you guys explain how you live. What you're diet is like and how it affects your overall budget. right now my budget is 20 bucks a week becouse I am unemployed and living off of Social Security Income which most of whitch goes to my mother.

P.S I changed the name of the topic so it can be more of a discussion rather than just something for me. But the main feilds I want to work on is Protein, Fiber and Anti-Oxidants. After that eating my daily calorie allowance is also important but those things are what I care about the most. Especially the protein ^_^

We've always suggested to read old threads, just go to search, type in anything you want and you'll find good info to use. I remember putting a good varied diet for 20 - 30$ in the "lazy healthy" diet thread. You don't have to go 100% raw or do anything to an extreme, it's just eating with variance that you need to incorporate.

Thanks. I'll try and rework this. My only problem is with the real thing they don't list any kind of serving size and I wouldn't know how much of it to eat. I'd proaboably end up eating it all.

But for lunch on top of having a bar I could always make a salad at home before I go to work or school. Instead of Lettace I'd use fresh organic spinach, chopped organic tomatoes, chopped organic onions, Chopped Organic Cilantro with Organic orange squeeze from fresh oranges and sea salt as the topping. That sounds good.

I used to make these sandwhiches that consisted of 100 percent whole wheat flour home baked in a bread maker by me, then slathered in spinach and other such veggies.

I'm trying to go for 100 percent organic, 100 percent vegan, 90 percent raw( IF I want to make bread like I used to I gotta cook it ^_^) and non-processed. But I also want to be as healthy as I can be, eat as much calories as I can( Or as much as a person who is farely active and wants to wor out regularly should eat) but I don't want to spend too much money. 100 dollars a week is a bit much. That's how much I estimated my food to be with my old diet plan. But I want to live on a budget too. Shoot I buy kids clothes at the good will and wear them( And they fit ^_^)

So yeah I understand eating the real thing is a good start. I just hope that buying the organic ingridients from scratch and fixing my own meals won't put a damper in my wallet. I'm hopeing for maybe 20-50 bucks in food and drink combined.

I will do the research though. But it would also help if you guys explain how you live. What you're diet is like and how it affects your overall budget. right now my budget is 20 bucks a week becouse I am unemployed and living off of Social Security Income which most of whitch goes to my mother.

P.S I changed the name of the topic so it can be more of a discussion rather than just something for me. But the main feilds I want to work on is Protein, Fiber and Anti-Oxidants. After that eating my daily calorie allowance is also important but those things are what I care about the most. Especially the protein ^_^

You cannot eat raw on 20 dollars a week, Search like Ed said.

I think you can do $30-50 a week but you better get used to apples and bananas and limited greens. If you want high calories its gonna cost more. However if you don't mind putting some time into it...sprouting is dirt cheap and very healthy. Maybe you should look into a community shared agriculture program. In many places you can get more produce you can eat for $50 a month. However you don't always get what you want...it wouldn't hurt you.

Thanks for the tips. And Odidnetne I researched the lazy diet and found what you were talking about. Personally I do agree with everyone on several points but usually either lack in motivation( But cooking is a hobby of mine)

And I actually love teting fresh fruits. I was just worried it would be costly to eat fresh. But this Saturday I'm going shopping with 20 bucks. I'm gonna try out this diet of nothing but fresh foods. Nothing that is made or processed together by another person( Okay I just now realized what processed meant lol)

The question is where can I find cheap organic produce? There isa Railey's near where I live but I'm not sure if they have organic fresh veggies.

But I think a great idea for dinner would be pasta. I know some people make it by hand but I guess if most of everything else is fresh it should be okay if the pasta is out of a box. As long as I put fresh veggies in it.

As for a veggie oil. o they make organic kinds? I usually use weson or pure canola oil.

Potter and Zack just pointed out that with 20$ you're not going to be satisfied with what you're going to live on. Read my post there again, and you'll be able to figure out cheap things to eat (beans and rice, oatmeal with peanut butter, etc. etc.).

You don't have to be 100% raw, if money is restricting you, perhaps aim for more like 70% or something? In terms of simplicity, what could be more simple than fruit? You don't need to prepare it, you just eat it . I am not an expert in nutrition or anything, but like I said, if you are short on money, you could get some canned vegetables to steam or cook, which can be pretty cheap right? Or have a small amount of pasta, rice or oats, that will raise your calorie intake considerably, and again that is very cheap, and you don't need to eat much of it. Also nuts are a good one if you can find some cheap deals - even raw nuts are available and aren't always that expensive.

So I got back from the local health food store. I managed to only spend 19 dollars. I got organic high fiber oat meal and unsweetend organic soymilk for breakfast, organic spinach and an organic orange for lunch and a bundle of Organic Bananna's( The orange would be used to sweeten up the salad) and I got Organic Canned Tomatoes and two packs of Organic Hand Crafted Brown Rice Penne Pasta( My favorite)

And since some of the foods are marked for a certain serving size( For example the oatmeal is 1/3 of a cup for 12 days) So to increase my calorie/fat/fiber/protein intake I'll double the serving size( After al it's only supposed to last a week not two weeks)

So that's my current diet. Can't wait till I get a job, increase budget and afford more.

• 3 weeks later...

This is about as cheap as it gets for 2000 kcal in a day. Calories are listed after amounts. My grocer sells oats in bulk for $0.39/lb, 10-lb batches of collards for $2.50, and flax for $1.29/lb. Those are hard to beat.

Lentils, raw 227g 801.3 $0.40

Oatmeal, dry 100g 333 $0.09

Bananas, raw 1 medium 105 $0.33

Collards, raw 227g 68.1 $0.25

Seeds, flaxseed 30g 160.2 $0.09

Tomato products, canned, paste 1 can (6 oz) 139.4 $0.33

Oil, olive, salad or cooking 22g 194.5 $0.18

Onions, raw 30g 12 $0.10

Celery, raw 30g 4.8 $0.09

Oranges, raw, Florida 1 fruit 64.9 $0.33

Apples, raw, with skin 1 medium 71.8 $0.33

Soy milk, fluid, calcium fortified 1 cup 98 $0.31

total $2.81

summary

Energy | 2052.9 kcal

Protein | 96.0 g

Carbs | 340.7 g

Fiber | 117.8 g

Starch | 6.8 g

Sugars | 71.8 g

Fat | 46.4 g

Vitamins

===========================================

Vitamin A | 19527.6 IU 837% (%RDA met)

Retinol | 0.0 µg

Alpha-carotene | 634.6 µg

Beta-carotene | 11219.6 µg

Beta-cryptoxanthin | 360.3 µg

Lycopene | 48898.8 µg

Lutein+Zeaxanthin | 20997.9 µg

Folate | 1614.7 µg 404%

B1 (Thiamine) | 3.3 mg 301%

B2 (Riboflavin) | 1.9 mg 177%

B3 (Niacin) | 19.9 mg 142%

B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 8.9 mg 177%

B6 (Pyridoxine) | 3.1 mg 235%

B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 3.0 µg 125%

Vitamin C | 210.7 mg 281%

Vitamin D | 0.0 IU 0% (need supplement or sun for this)

Vitamin E | 20.7 mg 138%

Gamma Tocopherol | 16.7 mg

Vitamin K | 1226.0 µg 1362%

Minerals

===========================================

Calcium | 1089.4 mg 109%

Copper | 3.1 mg 345%

Iron | 29.8 mg 165%

Magnesium | 699.7 mg 219%

Manganese | 8.3 mg 463%

Phosphorus | 2025.5 mg 289%

Potassium | 6086.0 mg 129%