The Thrive Diet

I just finished reading Brendan Brazier's new book: The Thrive Diet and loved it! Now I understand why I wasn't building the strength, endurance, and weight loss I wanted - plus many other things.

Has anyone else read this book? Not the original Thrive, but the new one with all the recipes?

I will be starting this diet July 14 - in conjunction with a new personal exercise/weight training program and posting in the Online Training Journal section. I'd love to have your support, so stop by once in a while

I just finished reading Brendan Brazier's new book: The Thrive Diet and loved it! Now I understand why I wasn't building the strength, endurance, and weight loss I wanted - plus many other things.

Has anyone else read this book? Not the original Thrive, but the new one with all the recipes?

I will be starting this diet July 14 - in conjunction with a new personal exercise/weight training program and posting in the Online Training Journal section. I'd love to have your support, so stop by once in a while

Might want to ask Jessifly about it, I know she went on the diet a short while and it was too high in seeds and nuts for her, which makes sense because most people do not workout at least 3-4 hours a day. No reason you can't follow it with just less seeds and nuts though!

I dabbled with it last year...eating all the raw stuf(of course there weren't so many recipes in the old book). I loved how I felt but I really like being able to eat out in Portland so I'm thinking about giving the Thrive diet another go once I move from here.

Is this an all raw diet or does it incorporate some cooked? I am 90% raw and loving that. I feel great on it and I am losing weight finally.
Some of the recipes aren't totally raw, but he gives raw options for those if you want to be 100%. For equipment he uses glass jars for sprouting, a blender for smoothies, and the oven (at 300'F) for crackers.
No reason you can't follow it with just less seeds and nuts though!
Getting rid of grains will do wonders for your energy levels.
Thanks Zack & Oregonisaac' date=' that is good to know

i am really interested in getting this book.
I really like being able to eat out in Portland so I'm thinking about giving the Thrive diet another go once I move from here.

Let me know if you guys decide to do it. Veganpotter - where are you moving to?

I'll be moving to Santa Fe. Hopefully produce will be really cheap there and we can get community shared agriculture for some cheaper organic produce which will make life much easier.

I've read the book, and I try to follow his general principles as much as possible. I've gone close to 100% Thrive approved for a couple days. Whenever I did, my energy was high and I found that I recovered faster from hard workouts and long runs. Definately something that I'm going to keep doing. Goodluck bunnylalu!

..... but I really like being able to eat out in Portland so I'm thinking about giving the Thrive diet another go once I move from here.

my problem precisely!!!

my question is - what makes it different from the other raw books out there? I am interested - i just don't want to get another book like so many of the ones i already have... and don't use...

Its not a book that simply says raw is best. Its just full of recipes that are simply good for you and taste great. Plus it gives good ways of wording how things are good and how things are bad for you in a different way than other books. It also doesn't say definitively to follow his diet precisely which I really appreciate.

I gotta say good things about The Thrive Diet too. I've been loosely following it for a couple of months now - kind of a mostly raw version. It's helped me be adequately fueled for workouts, and I've been recovering very quickly following Brendan's principles. And it's not just about what you eat, but when you eat it of course. The recipes I've tried have been yummy (I haven't tried many). The book has a lot to say about stress which I found particularly helpful.

I'll be moving to Santa Fe. Hopefully produce will be really cheap there and we can get community shared agriculture for some cheaper organic produce which will make life much easier.
Good luck! I used to live in Albuquerque - Santa Fe is beautiful. There is a place there called 10,000 Waves that we loved to go to for hot tubs & massage.

my question is - what makes it different from the other raw books out there? I am interested - i just don't want to get another book like so many of the ones i already have... and don't use...
Yeah, I have some of those raw cookbooks too that I don't use.

This book was just published - May 2007 (the thrive diet). It didn't come off being all about the "raw" thing - actually it explained how energy levels, physical recovery from stress & cellular regeneration (anti-aging info) and motivation are effected by foods of all kinds. The information has been invaluable to me and now I understand why I got caught up eating comfort foods when I was stressed out, and why it took so long for me to recover from lifting weights, why it wasn't helpful to ride my bike for hours on an empty stomach (I thought I'd burn more fat calories that way ) and why I didn't have the strength and endurance to do the things I thought I should be able to do. Mostly, it explained how my eating habits were making some of my health problems worse and making me feel older than I am! This book is transformative and worth every nickle!

• 3 weeks later...

I have read this book and loved it. Have tried so many recipes from it. One word of caution....the crackers do not turn out like i want them to. I will be making the Curry Lentil crackers this week. The salad dressings are amazing. I made like 4 diff ones and keep them in fridge.

I have read this book and loved it. Have tried so many recipes from it. One word of caution....the crackers do not turn out like i want them to. I will be making the Curry Lentil crackers this week. The salad dressings are amazing. I made like 4 diff ones and keep them in fridge.
Yes, I've had trouble with pancakes, pizza crust, and "chips" - but then I've never "cooked" raw style, so I figure a lot of experimenting and no expectations Plus, every recipe so far has been crazy delicious! And my spouse agrees!

Yeah, I have some of those raw cookbooks too that I don't use.

I'm still catching up with all the forum content and don't know how I missed this thread. I have a couple raw recipe books and there's some good stuff, but a lot of the recipes have a lot of ingredients (and more exotic ingredients at that).

I've been considering getting The Thrive Diet for the recipes everybody says are more simple, and for the program information.

Glad to hear it's working for you...I plan to give it a try in a couple weeks.

Christopher

I've been considering getting The Thrive Diet for the recipes everybody says are more simple, and for the program information. Glad to hear it's working for you...I plan to give it a try in a couple weeks."Christopher
The recipes are pretty simple and OMG!!! SO DELICIOUS i am still getting used to the new ingredients - lots of hemp products. Did I mention I lost 3 pounds the first week?

The book is worth it just for the recovery pudding recipe.
I made the energy pudding last night, using banana, apricot, & blackberries. OMG!!! Yum!

is it expensive to follow???
Somewhat - it depends on what you consider expensive
It also depends on where you shop - getting all the hemp oils, seeds, flour, & protein powder and stocking up on almonds & sunflower seeds, plus I ordered 2 cases of coconut water - it was an investment. But this stuff will also last quite awhile - and other things like quinoa, lentils, fresh fruits & vegies aren't too spendy.