New and interested in......

joliesxstar

Hey everyone! My name is Chennin and ive been reading various topics on this form for a while now and decided to join. I love this site and its great theres a place to go to get varying opinions and advice from fellow vegetarians and vegans. Ive been vegetarian since i was 12 and Vegan for a few years now. I work out everyday and enjoy just about any physical activity out there. I was curious though if any one knew of any good Muay Thai (preferably) or MMA gyms in the Beaverton/Portland Oregon area? I have no fighting experience but have been interested in it for looooong time and really want to start. Im just having difficulty either finding gyms or knowing what the qualities of a good gym are. I didnt know if any of you either trained at one around here that you like or had any suggestions. Im a 21 year old female by the way and I know the sport is male dominated so im hoping to find a gym thats comfortable. Thank you so much!

Hello & Welcome Chennin!

So do you live in Beaverton then? I have no specific suggestions for ya but other board members probably will - xdarthveganx comes to mind. It's awesome to hear that yr interested in getting into MA - please let us know what ya think of any places that ya check out!

Welcome Chennin, I'm into kickboxing but I'm not in your area. I'm sure someone here will know something about the Muay Thai gyms there. As for it being a male-dominated sport - I think you'll find that there are a lot of women not only in MA's like Muay Thai, but actively fighting full contact. Are you interested in it to fight, or just to check it out, get some good exercise and see how you like it? Anyway, good luck in your search, I'm sure you'll find something. Check the martial arts section on the forum - there were some topics like this in the last few months and you may want to post your question there too (if you haven't already).

Cheers!

Welcome Chennin!

Great to have you here. Our Portland community keeps growing! xdarthveganx will have some insight for you and LizWorld is also a female who trains in Muay Thai. She is from Sweden but will be in Portland from July 15-August 29th and maybe even sometime after that. So she may be someone to ask as well since I'm sure she'll find a club to continue to practice her art.

Thanks for finding our group and for joining. You'll like it here. We also have lots of regional meet-ups in the Portland area so keep an eye out in the Events section.

All the best and welcome aboard!

Thank you all so much for the welcomes! To anwser an above question, yes Im pretty certain I want to fight and will very much enjoy the physical contact element. The hard training and fitness element is definatly an added bonus and I think right up my ally. I respect the sport and the art and Im very excited and looking forward to learning everything I can and being thrown into that world. Its nice to hear from other people who are into MA as well. So again thanks so much, im happy to have found this board

I sense a sparring session in the future when Lizworld returns home to Sweden...

Maybe you should dust off the gloves and start training again, Offense!

hahahaha, actually, Offense will be at VV.

But I would never dare! Offense is way taller than I, and stronger and bigger... I do have a big mouth, but no death wishes...yet.

hahahaha, actually, Offense will be at VV.

But I would never dare! Offense is way taller than I, and stronger and bigger... I do have a big mouth, but no death wishes...yet.

Perfect! This has the makings of the first VV MMA event! I wish I could make it down there!

Sorry for hijacking the thread a bit! Welcome again, Chennin!